UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Don't think that link has the story...?

It does. It just doesn’t really go in to any more detail than what was described above:

A couple of months before, as a twisted practical joke, one of the wrestlers in WCW had made a prank call claiming that Bret’s father had passed away. I’d been informed and told Bret he needed to call home. Bret did so, finding out that it wasn’t true at all. It was a pretty disgusting joke, or rib, as the wrestlers liked to call it. So you can imagine what went through my mind this time. So I placed three or four calls to people I knew I could trust. They confirmed that Owen had really died. Bret was already in the air on his way to meet me [in LA]. I knew I had to go to the airport and tell him. As it turned out, I wasn’t the first…

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

This might be a bit of an obscure ask, but here goes...

I've been digitising some old family VHS cassettes recently, and on one of the old tapes is a recording of an episode of Smackdown - a couple of minutes of internet searching dates it to the 13th January 2000 edition of the show, which opened with a segment involving HHH and Mankind/Cactus Jack a week and a half prior to their 2000 Royal Rumble match up for the WWF title. During the segment, a fake Mankind was brought out by HHH to mock etc which later gets beat up by Cactus Jack (whom had "morphed" from Mankind during it). I'm wondering who played this fake Mankind? Looking at their obscured face, I thought it might have been Mideon, but I'm not really sure?

Does anyone know what's going on in this match from 3:30 onwards?

I think I've seen Sakura Hirota do something similar, although I might be mistaken. I asked my Japanese friend in the hope it was some pop culture reference like kancho or kokeshi, but she's lived in London for ages so isn't fully aware of everything happening in Japanese pop culture these days.

Edited by Tamura

Does anyone remember an Ultimate Warrior video hyping his return to the WWF for In Your House 5 in December 95 that never happened? I never see it written about/spoken about but I’m 100% sure I remember this. 

It would have been on Superstars or Wrestling Challenge, the final one before the IYH pay per view. No mention of Warrior return at the show up until this and then no Warrior at the PPV and no mention after until WMXII build. 

I remember being so confused when I watched WWF programming the week after IYH 5 and there was no mention of Warrior. 

I think about this at least twice per week. 

• Paid Members

I don’t remember that, but I do remember being convinced for some reason there was a chance he was returning for the Rumble, and given that I didn’t read any smart mags or have the Internet in late 1995, I must assume it was because Russo hinted at it as Vic Venom in The Bite in WWF magazine.

Rumble 1996 was going to be possibly be a real hot mess. Count in all the weird one offs and also factor that Vince was trying to get Warrior, Sabu, Dan Severn and fucking Peter McNeeley for that match. He was having a bad one that Christmas I guess. 

I'm sure there was talk about Jake taking his place while Warrior was typically being a pain in the arse over contracts as usual.  I assume they got it sorted in time for Mania 12. 

That being said, Warrior's return in '96 was a fucking shambles.  I think the longest match he had was against Owen on Raw.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Chili said:

Rumble 1996 was going to be possibly be a real hot mess. Count in all the weird one offs and also factor that Vince was trying to get Warrior, Sabu, Dan Severn and fucking Peter McNeeley for that match. He was having a bad one that Christmas I guess. 

Between Doug Gilbert, Takao Omori, Dory Funk Jr and The Headhunters, it made Jake coming back look far less of an oddity.