UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Did anybody notice or care about the logic hole where Jim Ross would dub commentary onto matches where people would know took place before he worked there e.g. Natural Disasters winning the tag titles, Bret defending the Intercontinental title? Why are there inconsistencies when some TV matches get new commentary to avoid references to an imminent PPV or to departed wrestlers and others don’t (Greatest Hits being an example)? Best of all why in a company as slick as the WWF were commentary mistakes not swept up in post-production?

Sorry I have no answers to any of your questions but I have some for you. One of my most remembered moments from watching as a child was Superstars (I think) and the famous "Horrowitz wins! Horrowitz wins!" commentary when Horrowitz first beat Skip. I loved it when I was young. 

I've seen it since and that match has at least 3 different commentaries for it. What's the all about. It seems unnecessary.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Forgive me if there are any resources online that my feeble searching couldn’t discover - does anyone know anywhere I can find any information about the old “Coliseum Video exclusive” matches? Not tape listings themselves - I own virtually every one released in the UK - or results from the tapings, which are easily found, but the process itself?

I’d love to find answers to a dozen questions. Were the matches an arbitrary choice of whoever was booking, to give each taping a few of the matches from the house show loops plus random extra choices, or was there more to it? Were they told “we need X vs Y for tape Z” or did the producers just see what was in the can and cherry pick? Was any foresight given to the results and finishes with a view to storylines by design or was it just whatever the booker felt like? Was it for efficiency/laziness that some matches got used for multiple tapes or by accident? Were any matches specifically planned and taped for future use on Coliseum then not used and if so for what reasons? When “Coliseum” was shut down and “WWF Home Video” moved in house, why did the home video exclusive practice stop - were the talent just not up for it after already exhausting tapings, or was there so much TV content giving away the top matches they didn’t feel like doing any for tapes any more?

And a few of the cynical ones too. Did anybody notice or care about the logic hole where Jim Ross would dub commentary onto matches where people would know took place before he worked there e.g. Natural Disasters winning the tag titles, Bret defending the Intercontinental title? Why are there inconsistencies when some TV matches get new commentary to avoid references to an imminent PPV or to departed wrestlers and others don’t (Greatest Hits being an example)? Best of all why in a company as slick as the WWF were commentary mistakes not swept up in post-production? My two favourites being where Al Hays says during a battle royal (I’ll remember these words til my dying breath) “I can still see Hacksaw Jim Duggan flailing away in there” despite Duggan not being in the match FROM THE START, and JR claiming he remembers a couple of shots that Tito Santana and Rick Martel had when the other was Intercontinental champion. Santana having never defended that title against Martel, Martel having never even won it, ever.

Anyone know anything?

On the query regarding overdubbing contemporary commentators onto archive material, I was under the impression this was done because there were either problematic references in the original commentary (e.g. to 'WWF' or talking about subjects other than the match in hand, which doesn't work well for a compilation tape) or because there were royalty issues with retaining the original commentators. I seem to recall Jesse Ventura bringing a lawsuit to ensure he was paid on archive material, but they started either muting him or overdubbing him in some programmes.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Yes, it's much more likely to do with the Ventura lawsuit - he sued for unpaid royalties for home video in the early '90s, so I imagine there was some overdubbing of any matches that he initially commentated. 

The one I recall best from Coliseum is from Greatest Hits, post Jesse. They have Hogan & Tugboat vs Rhythm & Blues from SNME and the original commentary is intact from Vince & Piper, hyping up Survivor Series and even referring to Rick Rude as a member of Natural Disasters - Rude leaving before Survivors/production on this cassette. On the same tape is The Model vs Marty Jannetty from Survivor Series Showdown, but this has “welcome to Coliseum Video” commentary added from Sean Mooney and Al Hays.

• Paid Members

"Horowitz Wins!!" doesn't come as a huge shock if you watch the Raw's leading up to it. He's featuring more prominently and in angles (such as when Jarrett gives him an IC Title match, but Barry gets tossed away and Bob Backlund signs it).

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, LEGIT said:

One of my most remembered moments from watching as a child was Superstars (I think) and the famous "Horrowitz wins! Horrowitz wins!" commentary when Horrowitz first beat Skip. I loved it when I was young. 

I've seen it since and that match has at least 3 different commentaries for it. What's the all about. It seems unnecessary.

The match was taped and originally aired on Challenge, which means it was also aired along with the same week’s squashes on that week’s episode of Action Zone. Watching replays of the match that are featured on the SummerSlam broadcast it’s apparent that different commentary was added to domestic Challenge and the version taped for international broadcast. Off the top of my head I believe JR & Cornette did domestic Challenge and the one we got was JR & Gorilla. I think the Action Zone team may have been Gorilla & Stan Lane, so that would be your three.

EDIT @LEGITThe Action Zone version on YouTube has JR & Todd but I have zero recollection of Todd commentating except in Coliseum matches taken from the Zone so I assume this is another domestic/international inconsistency.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

"Horowitz Wins!!" doesn't come as a huge shock if you watch the Raw's leading up to it. He's featuring more prominently and in angles (such as when Jarrett gives him an IC Title match, but Barry gets tossed away and Bob Backlund signs it).

Barry was always sort of a “name” jobber in much the same way as the Brooklyn Brawler was. His regular team with Reno Riggins for a while was thought of as worth beating more than other ham n eggers. There was actually a WWF Magazine interview with The Quebecers shortly after they’d dropped the belts to The Headshrinkers where they complain about Samu & Fatu jumping the queue ahead of some scheduled defences which includes the line “We’d also made a promise to Barry Horowitz & Reno Riggins (for a title shot).” There was a time on 27th September 93 Raw where Riggins didn’t make it and Jacques & Pierre actually defended against Barry and 1-2-3 Kid which is worth watching.

There’s a far less well-known big win by Barry after his elevation than the ones against Skip and Hakushi ; on a June 96 Superstars he beats Owen Hart by DQ when Owen doesn’t break the Sharpshooter after the bell. It was part of the low key “Harvey Whippleman is a ref now” storyline as he was the ref for the match. In hindsight I do wonder if Owen thought “Fuck it” and asked if he could give Barry a win, he did plenty of surprising jobs, like losing non-title to Bob Holly as Intercontinental champ on that Raw in 1997 because they happened to be in Mobile, AL.

7 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Hi. On the old WWF VHS releases, they have the standard "Don't do this at home!" message. Last paragraph annoys me "This Programme is Solely Intended For Your Viewing Pleasure". What else could it be for? Paging Silver Vision..

Its just reinforcing that it’s for watching not copying what you see, i.e - this isn’t an instructional video

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, scratchdj said:

This was the only WWF tape I ever owned and absolutely loved it as a kid. I was a huge fan of Hayes on commentary for that match, but never considered it wasn’t the original play-by-play.

Here it is, with original comms from Gorilla & Bobby from the Survivor Series Showdown in preview of Vipers vs Visionaries.