UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members

Yeah the way they were banging on I was expecting someone like Nash or Hall to show up. I know that sounds absolutely mental now but in 98 I wasn’t on the internet and after the previous 2 or so years of names turning up on the other show all the time, it didn’t seem that far fetched to me.

Then Savio waddled out. 

• Paid Members
On 3/13/2022 at 5:43 AM, bAzTNM#1 said:

Imagine looking at that "No Way Out of Texas" poster and remembering they actually stuck Savio Vega in there. Surely there was a plan for somebody else there..apart from HBK?

The way Bruce tells it, Shawns injury being that bad that he couldn’t gut out a limited performance in an 8 man tag was only confirmed 4 days out. Whether they’d have time to make some calls and see if they could get anyone in…. Conrad covered Shawns 98 with JR who would have been the best person to ask but sadly they just skipped straight from “he’s fucked at the Rumble” to “at Mania…”.

They thought about doing 3 on 4 but on the day Vince decided he wanted it competitive rather than have the babyfaces have an advantage. Bruce says all the wrestlers were happy with Savio because they liked working him. Everyone knew it would fall flat as a spectacle/replacement but the rationale was “give them a great match and they’ll forgive us.”

• Paid Members

I would definitely be interested to hear anyone other than Bruce give their take on it - the WWF were really getting into the era of being able to throw any old shit out there and the crowd being mostly still hot for it because there was enough momentum and star power around that it rubbed off on everyone else. I just looked up an interview with Savio Vega about it, and he said he was pretty much the immediate choice, but then you never know if that's just what they told him.

I'd love to know if there were genuinely any other wrestlers considered, and if any of them might have been a bit more interesting - I can't really think of anyone else that could have been slotted in there and made any more sense. Assuming nobody does double duty on the show, and that the person has to be a heel, who else is there? Do you play it for laughs and have The Artist Formerly Known As Goldust dress up as Shawn Michaels? There's no one else I can see on the roster at the time who wouldn't have been even more disappointing than Savio, and would have made less sense, so it comes down to if there was a free agent worth bringing in for a short run, which probably wasn't feasible right before Wrestlemania.

• Paid Members

Given the company’s usual preference for “the substitute has to be as good if not better” then I’m surprised they didn’t have Rocky pull double duty given the history with Austin, their high hopes for him, how over he was etc. And that’s the play they made on a lot of the house shows.

• Paid Members

Even just chucking Chyna in the match would’ve been better than Kwang The Reboot.

And I don’t think it’d have been better than when he did return the night after Mania but imagine if they were able to get X-Pac in a month early? But like I say, him coming in after Mania as part of the revamped DX probably made more sense. Plus he wasn’t cleared to wrestle until around King Of The Ring anyway so that’s that idea in the bin. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

I remember being gutted about Savio wadling out but it ended up a great match didn't it? Not seen it in years but remember it startring out really hot, remember it being about the only decent thing on the show as was the case for most IYH events at the time

I agree, Savio was nearly always the highlight.

Savio was genuinely my New Favourite Wrestler when he debuted, and I looked forward to him winning the Intercontinental Title en route to who knows what else. I'd been on the money before, as the only kid in the playground insisting a certain Boy Toy would main event WrestleMania one day.

Perhaps, it turned out, Savio was an unfortunate blip on my record. Not to worry, in just a few months' time I'd redeem myself as star spotter extraordinaire with the arrival of the next big thing, a guaranteed smash hit from Pearl River, Mississippi.

Edited by Uncle Zeb

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

I still laugh now just thinking about Steve Austin damn near assassinating Billy Gunn with a dustbin. 

Almost on the level of JBL absolutely wellying one at Hornswoggle.

Here's a thing - I appreciate the use of the word "dustbin" there. There's certain words in wrestling where Americanisms slip in, because we're so used to WWE verbiage. I'd never ordinarily catch myself saying "trash can", but I've probably said it when describing a spot like that. Similarly, people talking about "thumbtacks" rather than drawing pins. I don't know where I'm going with this.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Almost on the level of JBL absolutely wellying one at Hornswoggle.

Here's a thing - I appreciate the use of the word "dustbin" there. There's certain words in wrestling where Americanisms slip in, because we're so used to WWE verbiage. I'd never ordinarily catch myself saying "trash can", but I've probably said it when describing a spot like that. Similarly, people talking about "thumbtacks" rather than drawing pins. I don't know where I'm going with this.

Casket is another one. Never in my life have I heard someone over here use the word casket unless it's in reference to wrestling. Coffin reverts to being the norm whenever wrestling is not a topic of discussion. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Casket is another one. Never in my life have I heard someone over here use the word casket unless it's in reference to wrestling. Coffin reverts to being the norm whenever wrestling is not a topic of discussion. 

Survivor Series 92 disagrees.

1 hour ago, WeeAl said:

Caskets and coffins are different things though.   Whereas thumbtacks and trash cans are just Americanisms.