UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

12 minutes ago, TheDude said:

AEW stuff is just better. You can wear their T Shirts without looking like a utter dweeb.

Jonathan Frakes Oops GIF by FILMRISE

If you mean the AEW branded merch as opposed to individual wrestlers merch, it’s because AEW has a tribal mentality akin to supporting a football team. Something every non WWE company has tried to recreate from ECW, so fair play to them. 

I mean, are they selling "well". How is that being defined? Going to an indy show with under a 1000 people and seeing a smattering of shirts?

It's easy to slight WWE but if they're still doing 4 shows a week with the potential of thousands going through their merch stand, plus online sales. Quantity wise they've got to still be lapping AEW sales.

9 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

I mean, are they selling "well". How is that being defined? Going to an indy show with under a 1000 people and seeing a smattering of shirts?

It's easy to slight WWE but if they're still doing 4 shows a week with the potential of thousands going through their merch stand, plus online sales. Quantity wise they've got to still be lapping AEW sales.

I suppose because it’s bAz you have to factor in hyperbolic exaggeration and whatnot, but I’m guessing he means company shirts not wrestlers shirts. I mean, I’ve seen people round Manchester wearing a shirt with the AEW logo on it but I’ve not seen any with the WWE logo. 

Just to clarify, I’m not talking about shirts with wrestlers on them or wrestlers catchphrases on them, just the company logo. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, eugenespeed said:

Is there anything particular special about TNA Turning Point 2009 in DVD?

I was in CEX earlier and they were selling a copy for 20 quid. 

A look on Amazon and eBay and it's going for between 40 and 50. 

I doubt that there’s anything particularly special about the show itself (although it does feature one of those Styles/Daniels/Joe Triple Threats that were always raved about), more that it’ll be out of print

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, does anyone know if there is an industry standard (for either big or indie companies that make a profit) for a revenue split for talent and expenses. Like, how much of the profits are usually reserved for talent? Also with thinks like merch, what is a normal split between companies and talent. Would really appreciate any help with this. Thanks in advance if you can help. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Cheapheat said:

Hi all, does anyone know if there is an industry standard (for either big or indie companies that make a profit) for a revenue split for talent and expenses. Like, how much of the profits are usually reserved for talent? Also with thinks like merch, what is a normal split between companies and talent. Would really appreciate any help with this. Thanks in advance if you can help. 

In my experience it doesn't really work that way any more for indie companies; talent aren't making a cut of ticket sales, they're just paid their fee and expenses regardless. Expenses vary - most people I know only claim for travel and sometimes food if required, though I know of a couple of older wrestlers who charge wear and tear on their gear and things of that nature. 

Again, merch at an indie level doesn't tend to be split - the promotion sells its stuff, individual wrestlers sell theirs. Being able to sell their own merch is one of the bigger earners for a lot of wrestlers. 

So from a promoter's point of view, it's not so much a question of "what percentage of the profits will go to talent?" as "if I expect to make X profit, what talent can I afford to book?". Because if someone's fee is £200, that's a £200 fee whether five people show up or five hundred, and whether you charge a fiver or fifty quid a ticket.