• Paid Members

Go through "part" 4 of Disenchantment on Netflix last night. It's improving series by series, and definitely found its rhythm/formula now of "resolve previous cliffhanger, develop characters, set up next cliffhanger" but has also found its tone and voice a lot more now. Feels like there might be one more run of 10 episodes and then it'll be done, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept milking it for a few more years. It's never going to be a Futurama or Simpsons, but it's an easy enough watch and I can usually get through a "part" in one sitting because the episodes are all around 20 minutes apiece. 

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Binged through the second season (so far) of The Rightious Gemstones today. It can be a bit too 'Danny McBride' at times but it has so many highlights, not least Walton Goggins, who remains the most watchable actor in any show he's in and Danny McBride really knows how to write a role for him. John Goodman is more front and centre this time and it's always great to see him get a good role.

Edi Patterson is fucking great too to be fair. She's been a revation in this and Vice Principals. Should be getting more high profile work

• Paid Members

After putting off Mad Men for years I finally made a start to it the other week. I’m struggling. Almost finished the first season and I’m just not interested in anything that’s happening. I don’t care who’s shagging who, I think her from Handmaid’s Tale is supposed to be a central character but hasn’t really done anything except shag the manchild and I’m getting a bit bored of watching groups of men sit around making sexist jokes. 
The other half tells me I should stick with it because it improves but with this type of show if you’ve not hooked the audience within an episode or two I don’t think you really deserve perseverance. Am I missing something?

• Awards Moderator
7 minutes ago, stumobir said:

The other half tells me I should stick with it because it improves but with this type of show if you’ve not hooked the audience within an episode or two I don’t think you really deserve perseverance. Am I missing something?

I adore Mad Men, it is second only to the Sopranos for me. But it is glacially slow and heavy on themes. It doesn't really have strong plots, it's more a study of characters moving through time and whether they can change or not. Punctuated with Don's occasional bouts of advertising genius. Nobody is likable and you sort of have to be invested in their journey. I found them all intriguing even in their dickishness. Don is fascinating in how he maintains his home and work lives. 

I would ask you to persevere to The Wheel but that's an entire season. Can it and move on. There's too much telly out there. 

2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Originals. Been on them for nearly a year now but nearly done.

Oh superb. That first season is some brilliant tv. Found the move to longer eps a bit of slog at times. Amazing. Give Night Gallery a go again if you haven't before. 

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Chili said:

Oh superb. That first season is some brilliant tv. Found the move to longer eps a bit of slog at times. Amazing. Give Night Gallery a go again if you haven't before. 

Yeah, series 4 was a mistake and it was all episodes that would have been great at half the length. Series 5 immediately returns to form.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, chokeout said:

Binged through the second season (so far) of The Rightious Gemstones today. It can be a bit too 'Danny McBride' at times but it has so many highlights, not least Walton Goggins, who remains the most watchable actor in any show he's in and Danny McBride really knows how to write a role for him. John Goodman is more front and centre this time and it's always great to see him get a good role.

Just watched the newest two episodes from this morning now on sky. 

Spoiler

Momma Gemstone is a Saint. Mind you that's been the thread all through the show. 

But everyone loves Momma Gemstone. 

Also the Uncle Baby Billy when younger episodes halfway through the season they've made twice with Momma Gemstone tend to be the best. Interlude I was ace as was Interlude II

Edited by PowerButchi

14 hours ago, stumobir said:

I think her from Handmaid’s Tale is supposed to be a central character but hasn’t really done anything except shag the manchild and I’m getting a bit bored of watching groups of men sit around making sexist jokes. 

Really its up to you to continue with it or not but the payoff over 7 seasons is incredibly worth it. One of the best character studies on TV.

15 hours ago, stumobir said:

After putting off Mad Men for years I finally made a start to it the other week. I’m struggling. Almost finished the first season and I’m just not interested in anything that’s happening. I don’t care who’s shagging who, I think her from Handmaid’s Tale is supposed to be a central character but hasn’t really done anything except shag the manchild and I’m getting a bit bored of watching groups of men sit around making sexist jokes. 

The wife and I have been rewatching Mad Men recently too, we’re currently halfway through S6. For some reason we never saw S7 when it was first on and I’ve never known how the show ends, hence this rewatch.

S1 is a bit of a slow burn so I can understand your frustrations, but it does hit it’s stride towards the end of S1 and into S2 onwards and is absolutely worth the plaudits it gets.

Started watching Station Eleven last night a tv show based on a book about a super flu that kills everyone and a troupe of Shakespearean actors doing shows in the apocalypse. Early days but it’s suitably grim and Tamwar Masood is in it. No zombies so far so that’s a nice change of pace from this usual type of thing. The main little girl actor is pretty great too.

On 2/19/2022 at 7:52 AM, DavidB6937 said:

I really loved it. Was surprised to see some of the online uproar by some sections of the Internet but I guess I'm not a woman or a mum.

Adam Kay really seems like a horrible prick but I loved the way some people were moaning about the TV show being woke because in his book he refers to his partner but in the show he is gay.