Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
On 1/31/2022 at 4:31 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Via osmosis, I’ve seen the first series and a half of After Life. It’s pretty boring and by the numbers. It’s mainly saying cunt, fat jokes, and a character that seems to exist solely so Tony can answer questions smugly and with condescending superiority about why he’s an atheist. I called making up arguments so you can give your view “The Gervais Position” on here before but it is so apparent in this show. 

Finished this now. I found the whole thing incredibly lazy. A situation is about to happen (like the guy and his child in a coffee shop) and you already know the script for the next few minutes. Then slow minor chord piano kicks in to let you know there’s a sad bit coming involving him watching vids of his wife. Ooh we haven’t had a joke about sex workers or ex wives for a few minutes, we will see to that after we’ve made reference to someone being overweight. 
 

Maybe if I’d lost a loved one I might have seen this as moving as some people say it is. Maybe if I preferred actual jokes instead of calling everyone a cunt I’d have found it funny. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
34 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Finished this now. I found the whole thing incredibly lazy. A situation is about to happen (like the guy and his child in a coffee shop) and you already know the script for the next few minutes. Then slow minor chord piano kicks in to let you know there’s a sad bit coming involving him watching vids of his wife. Ooh we haven’t had a joke about sex workers or ex wives for a few minutes, we will see to that after we’ve made reference to someone being overweight. 
 

Maybe if I’d lost a loved one I might have seen this as moving as some people say it is. Maybe if I preferred actual jokes instead of calling everyone a cunt I’d have found it funny. 

Season 1 I thought was alright. But Gervais has proven his best stuff is filtered by someone else and he starts off great but sees diminishing returns after a hot debut.

Basically he’s the TV Comedy version of Vince Russo. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Started watching Inside Number 9 the other day. I just watched the episode 12 Days Of Christine and it's bloody brilliant. They've all been enjoyable, but that one's so powerful. It helps that Sheridan Smith is such a solid hand, but it's such good writing, great twists and turns.

Edited by jazzygeofferz
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Started watching Inside Number 9 the other day. I just watched the episode 12 Days Of Christine and it's bloody brilliant. They've all been enjoyable, but that one's so powerful. It helps that Sheridan Smith is such a solid hand, but it's such good writing, great twists and turns.

It's a brilliant show, of course with anthologies there are ups and downs but this writing and plotting is stratospheric for a 30 minute 'comedy' show. Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room is another universal favourite. 

In other news, this week sees Sean Lock's final appearance on 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown. 

Screenshot_20220207-223721_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c006c70c2b0e7e4fad008092ef4271ba.jpg

Edited by Onyx2
  • Paid Members
Posted

I had assumed they must have filmed this series before Sean died, given that he's not been mentioned so far. I was wondering if they'd continue it without him - given Jimmy Carr's latest scandal (though I doubt that'll sink him), it might be even less likely to continue now.

Posted
5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I was wondering if they'd continue it without him - given Jimmy Carr's latest scandal (though I doubt that'll sink him), it might be even less likely to continue now.

Its incredibly popular on the Channel. Carr will ride it out. He does what he does. Right or wrong everyone knows what that is. When it comes back next year or whenever, people will have probably all moved on.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought AFTER LIFE was awful. The tone is absolutely all over the place and Gervais is the weakest thing in it. Brent was such a great character, but since then I don't think he's actually been good in anything. I thought he was rubbish in EXTRAS as well, but the scripts (well first series) were so good it didn't really matter.

 

Posted

Is Carr one of the owners of the company that pumps out panel shows? I wonder if people close ranks around him not out of some mad form of solidarity but because saying something bad about him could lose someone that lucrative panel show circuit spot. I know Zeppotron produce a few but that was Charlie Brookers firm. Not sure if he still is the main man there. 
 

I noticed another bit of panel show nepotism the other day, The guy who did the 8 out of 10 cats music is Mat Osman from Suede, I’m sure his brother being a big mover in the game show production world is coincidence. 

Posted
16 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I noticed another bit of panel show nepotism the other day, The guy who did the 8 out of 10 cats music is Mat Osman from Suede, I’m sure his brother being a big mover in the game show production world is coincidence. 

Richard Osman used to be the head of the production company that made 8 Out of 10 Cats. 
 

Jimmy Carr won’t leave the show because of his recent headlines. He did an episode of Cats the same week his tax avoidance stuff came out and just rode it out by taking a roasting about it from the other comics. If he wasn’t getting fired or quitting because of that, he won’t for this. 

  • Moderators
Posted

The Righteous Gemstones second series is on Now TV. And much like season one it's absolutely fucking ace. Its a shame its not had the massive plaudits that Eastbound and Down did. 

 

I don't think Danny McBride has made a shit sitcom yet. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Name a better TV episode than ronny/lily from Barry. You can't! Honestly never seen anything quite like it before in my life. Can't wait for Bill Hader to start directing action films.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...