Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Just seen the line-up for Celebrity Mastermind and there are some cracking specialist subjects coming up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/celebrity-mastermind-lineup-revealed

Dave Rowntree, musician (Blur drummer) on Nikola Tesla

James Acaster, comedian on the history of ice cream

Jackie Weaver, council officer on The Chronicles of Riddick

Martin Offiah, former England rugby international on the Battle of Britain

Posted
18 minutes ago, Monkee said:

Dave Rowntree, musician (Blur drummer) on Nikola Tesla

Ah, the “Decent” one of Blur. Granted it’s a low bar and he’s a Lib Dem, but at least he isn’t the cheese Tory or the Queen Tay defamer. 

  • Members
Posted
48 minutes ago, Monkee said:

Just seen the line-up for Celebrity Mastermind and there are some cracking specialist subjects coming up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/celebrity-mastermind-lineup-revealed

Dave Rowntree, musician (Blur drummer) on Nikola Tesla

James Acaster, comedian on the history of ice cream

Jackie Weaver, council officer on The Chronicles of Riddick

Martin Offiah, former England rugby international on the Battle of Britain

It's like if Mastermind happened in an episode of Partridge.

Posted
11 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Ah, the “Decent” one of Blur. Granted it’s a low bar and he’s a Lib Dem, but at least he isn’t the cheese Tory or the Queen Tay defamer. 

I mean, Coxon come on!

  • Paid Members
Posted

Watched the first episode of Yellowjackets and didn't really get on with it. Lost crossed with your usual high school drama shit. Quality cast but can see myself ditching it after a couple more. Not a big fan of Karyn Kusama and if I'd known she made this I probably wouldn't have started it.

The first few episodes of Barry, conversely, have been excellent. I really like Bill Hader and Sarah Goldberg, the latter as much for aesthetic reasons. Stephen Root is the best.

On King of the Hill, Hank just had a problem with a cat and being called a woman on his / her driving licence.

Posted

The Responder is great, much better than I thought it was going to be. You have to love a gritty british drama.

Although Martin Freeman plays the main character well, I couldn't help but think Stephen Graham would've been perfect in the role, not just because of his genuine scouse accent either.

  • Paid Members
Posted

The Silent Sea was a solid sci-fi thriller series, worth leafing through if that's your sort of thing. Couple of Squid Gamers in the cast as well but Bae Doona, who is well named, is excellent in the lead, as she always is.

Posted

Via osmosis, I’ve seen the first series and a half of After Life. It’s pretty boring and by the numbers. It’s mainly saying cunt, fat jokes, and a character that seems to exist solely so Tony can answer questions smugly and with condescending superiority about why he’s an atheist. I called making up arguments so you can give your view “The Gervais Position” on here before but it is so apparent in this show. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Via osmosis, I’ve seen the first series and a half of After Life. It’s pretty boring and by the numbers. It’s mainly saying cunt, fat jokes, and a character that seems to exist solely so Tony can answer questions smugly and with condescending superiority about why he’s an atheist. I called making up arguments so you can give your view “The Gervais Position” on here before but it is so apparent in this show. 

He is a terrible writer/director without Merchant. The Office is in my top 5 TV shows of all time and I love anything he's done with Karl Pilkington, so I've got more time for Gervais than most. But After Life started off distinctly average and proceeded to get worse. The recent series has some of the worst TV writing I've seen in years.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I watched an episode of Idiot Abroad the other day. Karl was building shacks in Africa for charity, before moving on to a bungie jump but refuses to do it. Gervais phones to try and convince him to do it, and Karl says I’ll do the jump if you donate some shacks to the charity. Gervais asks how much they are, Karl responds with £500 each.

Multi millionaire Gervais then responds with “OK, if you do the bungie jump I’ll buy……one shack”. Tight fucker 

Posted
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Via osmosis, I’ve seen the first series and a half of After Life. It’s pretty boring and by the numbers. It’s mainly saying cunt, fat jokes, and a character that seems to exist solely so Tony can answer questions smugly and with condescending superiority about why he’s an atheist. I called making up arguments so you can give your view “The Gervais Position” on here before but it is so apparent in this show. 

He’s the shittest thing in his own show. He just goes around telling people they’re stupid and he doesn’t care because his wife died and he’s a miserable cunt. The supporting characters aren’t so bad as far as basic shitcoms go, Joe Wilkinson being my obvious favourite. Gervais is an absolutely terrible actor too. I hold him and Peter Kay in similar comic esteem but the difference is that even away from the teams they worked with that helped bring them success, Kay is still a good comic actor even if the material is shit. Gervais’ career should never have survived Derek tbh.

  • Members
Posted

I've somehow hate watched all 3 series of After Life (because I hate myself more than Gervais clearly)

It is dreadful. It's so heavy handed he might as well be hitting you over the head with a hammer labelled "THERE IS NO GOD BUT AREN'T PEOPLE KIND AND LOVELY" 

He's also an AWFUL actor. Sad with dog, sad with laptop and sad with wine being his range.

Out of 3 series, there was one poignant moment in series 3 where Brian 

Spoiler

Agrees to have his clutter cleared after years of hoarding and he says "Do you mind if I don't watch?" which actually affected me quite a lot

But yeah, awful, awful show. It makes  me think that Merchant MUST have written most of The Office and Extras.

Its basically his Twitter profile stretched across 18 episodes. 

Did you know Ricky Gervais is an atheist?

Posted

Brian and the mum from This Is England walking in on ya laddo in the bath did get a hearty laugh to be fair. I’m going to give full credit to the actors who definitely improvised that scene.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Brian and the mum from This Is England walking in on ya laddo in the bath

I think the rules of the show mean you must always refer to him as the fat kid, because he’s fat and being fat is funny now Gervais isn’t fat anymore. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...