The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

They might have cut the Cornette pod references because someone actually knows their content. I imagine if anything was getting a 'don't reference that' post promo it was anything near that. Punk trying to get everyone saying Vince's name seemed rank shite to me. Kind of bollocks he'd tried to pull (Williams). Daring people to say something they obviously can't. Oh you're hard. Still, lovely work beyond that. Poor Seth Rollins might as well be bricked up like Henry the Green Engine.

The Rock is an absurdly big star, him walking out from the dark. Lush that. Hopefully Cody beats him for the belt at Mania.

I heard an American say wank on a podcast the other day. Must be trendy or something.

For as tame as that beat down was it’s one of the best they’ve done in a long time. Long drawn out beat downs without any fight back are pretty boring and make the recipient who might usually be getting smashed with sledgehammers or metal chairs and still fighting on look weak but I could have watched Rocky slam Cody’s head into that truck whilst repeating “Look at you now!”  all night.

• Paid Members

Can’t stop watching it. Unbelievable. Appearing like a God from the darkness. The way Pat can be heard giggling with sheer joy. The way the lightning strikes slow down, “FINAL BOSS,” flashes on the screen and then the music slows down to his heel theme. One of the best entrances of all time.

Wade Keller reporting that Punk going, “Who chose you? Say his name!” was improvised. What did Drew ever do in this world to have an empty-headed dumb fuck like CM Punk to go out on national television and fucking go into business for himself.

Forget allowing people to say, “wrestling,” and, “belt.” Forget allowing continuous camera shots that last longer than a minute. The true test of Triple H as a booker is going to be if he can keep this Punk and Drew thing on the tracks without anyone’s head falling off. I swear half the reason they’re flying Punk in to do commentary at Wrestlemania is out of fear that if he just sits at home rehabbing he’ll work himself into a shoot and lose his mind again.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I checked out the Punk/Drew and Rock/Cody segs out of interest.

The Punk/Drew stuff was pretty bad. I'm assuming the praise from this is that it's so rare to see promos where people speak somewhat like normal human beings rather than weird robots that it blinded people to how lame the material was. Firstly, a 20 minute segment building up a guest commentator rather than the TITLE MATCH AT WRESTLEMANIA itself is pretty funny for how stupid it is. Punk's stuff was standard Punk stuff , "oooh look how edgy he is! He's shooting!", textbook CM Punk teenage edgelord schtick. Always goes for the low hanging fruit. This segment also had that "breaking the fourth wall" type stuff that I hate with a passion. Drew's line about rehab was an absolute cracker but apart from that I didn't really feel like he brought much. His time in America has made his accent very strange too. Really quite baffled by the comments from people that this felt wild, chaotic and out of control. Felt like the same old shit to me.

The Cody/Rock stuff on the other hand was all very good. I don't know where the weird thing where wrestling fans call anything good "cinema" came from -this just felt like proper good old fashioned wrestling to me. The main problem though is when the heel is bigger, stronger, cooler and more charismatic than the babyface...that's going to cause a few problems down the road. But just looking at the segment alone there's few things better than the traditional bloody beatdown on a babyface before the big match and this was a good one. If it was Cody vs Rock instead of Cody and Freakin' Rollins vs Rock and Roman then this angle would have probably made me want to watch it. Alas, I will be skipping Wrestlemania this year.

Edited by LaGoosh

The CM Punk stuff is so hard to judge.  On the one hand, I think we all still get a little thrill from that feeling that it's going "off script".  And that's a big part of his character that they're leaning into.

On the other hand, as so often with Punk all his promos really do is knock down his opponent and make them look stupid so that he looks clever.   They're self-aggrandising rather than match-promoting.  Particularly as right now, there's no match to promote even, so all the segment succeeded in doing was undermining the WM semi-main event.

8 minutes ago, Supremo said:

What did Drew ever do in this world to have an empty-headed dumb fuck like CM Punk to go out on national television and fucking go into business for himself.

As you rightly point out, this was a booking decision, to have Punk there at all - and you know, as a promoter you HAVE to know (if you don't actually encourage it) that Punk is going to say whatever internet-forum clever-clogs thing comes into his head.

It would be something else if Punk doesn't even get to a singles match this run before burning all his bridges.   Surely he's smart enough to know this is his final, final shot at a big time wrestling run?

• Paid Members

I quite liked the Punk/McIntyre segment, until Seth's shit music hit and everybodies pint in the pub went flat. But Punk in Chicago with every person in the crowd hanging off his every word - if there's ever a time he didn't need to do the 'ohh, he hinted at Vince!' shit it was here. I'm not surprised it was off the cuff, but it was a stupid line.

I don't mind them having Sami lose and start doubting himself before Mania, but I feel like a loss to Gunther in a tag match or something would be more effective than Bronson Reed getting the win over him.

Rock/Rhodes is a cracking build-up.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

His time in America has made his accent very strange too

Drew's accent is a bit like his face. All over the shop and not getting better the longer he spends in the US. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Fat thumbed idiot

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I'm more interested by the fact that Seth Rollins is in 2 featured matches at Wrestlemania, and a featured part of 0 feuds. Absolute waffle.

He's really just Jericho at WM18 at this point, isn't he? The least important person in his match, even though he's the World Champion.

In his own title match he's taking a back seat to an injured CM Punk, and to everyone being impressed by Drew McIntyre being allowed to do fairly rote heel work because it's been so long since WWE could actually book heels properly that it now looks fresh and interesting - same thing goes for the big Rock/Cody angle, it's as by-the-numbers as wrestling booking gets but it felt dynamic and interesting because it wasn't the usual micro-managed WWE fare and actually had some heat behind it; just goes to show that wrestling is at its best when kept simple and logical. 

I hadn't given it any thought before, but why not Jey Uso in the big tag match? He'd still stick out like a sore thumb in terms of star power, but at least he fits the story. He has his history with the Bloodline, obviously, but he was also teaming with Cody Rhodes for a while and they have some in-built history, rather than suddenly shifting to long-term rivals Cody and Seth being bezzy mates, and crowbarring Rollins into a spot that has nothing to do with him. They at least briefly tried to bring up Rollins and Reigns' history with Rollins promising to be Cody's "Shield", but they fucked it in classic WWE historical revisionism by having Rollins cut a promo all about how the Shield were some iconoclastic group looking to fight against authority when they debuted, when for their first few months they were basically the lackeys of a heel CM Punk (maybe lean into that bit of your history for the other feud, Seth?) and then of the Authority - that would be fine if they were teasing Rollins turning on Cody the way he turned on the Shield, and showing that he needs to really work to earn Cody's trust, to add another dynamic to the match, but they're not, it was just filling time while he's Babyface Best Mate, the Beefcake to Cody's Hulk. There's also the obvious issue that every time they bring up the Shield, you can't help but ask, "yeah, but where's the other one?".

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

His time in America has made his accent very strange too.

21 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Drew's accent is a bit like his face. All over the shop and not getting better the longer he spends in the US. 

For reference, here's historical Drew. TWC? Skinny Wade? All the arrows.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Can’t stop watching it. Unbelievable. Appearing like a God from the darkness. The way Pat can be heard giggling with sheer joy. The way the lightning strikes slow down, “FINAL BOSS,” flashes on the screen and then the music slows down to his heel theme. One of the best entrances of all time.

McAfee giggling away like Winnie The Pooh is the exact kind of thing that stopped it being 10/10 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, air_raid said:

For reference, here's historical Drew. TWC? Skinny Wade? All the arrows.

Who is the lad who isn't Drew or Wade?

8 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

McAfee giggling away like Winnie The Pooh is the exact kind of thing that stopped it being 10/10 

McAfee giggling away like Winnie The Pooh is the exact kind of thing that makes it an 11/10. I understand that he is marmite but every reaction is genuine and he is just a massive fan who happens to have the commentary job. 

I'm a big Pat fan. I love the genuine enthusiasm and that he has a really great time out there. I love that he brings the best out of Michael Cole and they obviously enjoy working together too. I can see why he'd irritate some people but just to have a natural fun feeling to commentary really adds to the product for me.

19 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Who is the lad who isn't Drew or Wade?

Pierre Marceau according to the video description. Probably best known for being in NXT as Marcus Louis as part of the the tag team The Legionaires and then losing his hair and eyebrows after his partner legging it after losing a Hair vs Hair match to Enzo Amore.

To your other point about McAfee, if you like it that’s fine but I can’t stand the fucker. If there was a away to watch the show without the commentary (like how Amazon do/did with the Football) I’d enjoy it a lot more

Edited by WyattSheepMask