The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

I think some love should be given to the Chad Gable / Sami Zayn Rocky tribute, which I still think was missing something from being an all-time classic segment (some tongue-in-cheek comedy? More emotional music? Not sure), but I was entertained nonetheless and it got me more invested in the IC Title match this weekend. Good stuff.

Decent show, predictable, In a good way, end with Cody and then Roman coming back.

The night 2 card looks dreadful compared to night 1. 6 matches and one of them being Lashleys mob against Karrion Cross. Going to be a slog that show.

7 minutes ago, Doog said:

Decent show, predictable, In a good way, end with Cody and then Roman coming back.

The night 2 card looks dreadful compared to night 1. 6 matches and one of them being Lashleys mob against Karrion Cross. Going to be a slog that show.

Always is for Night 2. Night 1 is the banger one, Night 2 is the "Oh ffs, why did I stay up for this?" one.

4 hours ago, Factotum said:

That's where an Ospreay or Okada coming in would have been perfect for them

Why? Do they need someone to put seats out in a very technical manner?

I'm being deliberately obtuse but in all seriousness there is no way either of them would be coming straight in at that level. If they're comparable to, say, AJ Styles, even he had to go through the Feud of Jericho in order to access Roman later.

Great episode of RAW, I thought. Particularly liked the use of 'Bloodline Rules' for the main event here - it really sold the idea that if that's the stip, Cody is totally fucked. Just look how it ended up for him and Seth here! A nice touch.

There are a lot of things that seem very obvious for the weekend's shows and hopefully, if it fits together the way it should, it'll be the gratifying ending we all deserve.

• Paid Members

Agreed that there's no real dearth of story to worry about after Mania. There will likely be a lot of "how do the Bloodline deal with this" in the wake of losing the belt and/or Roman/Rock blaming each other, and I fully expect a draft and/or cash-in to move (as a bare minimum) Drew, Punk and the Silver Medal (possibly Priest too) to SmackDown as we wait for Punk to be in one piece for the inevitable Drew vs Punk match, leaving Seth on Raw to try chasing the real title for a bit. Potentially the minor intrigue of the otherwise-underwhelming Priest as a World Champion. And new feuds to start for the ICT, tag title(s) and maybe US title depending who wins what. Preserving Cody vs Punk for either next year or if they can't wait that long, the annual t-shirt-based rivalry extravaganza of Survivor Series. Well, I like my red t-shirt more.

2 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Confirmation that the tag belts are splitting up again I noticed was quietly snuck in on commentary.

Unless both belts are grabbed by the same team of course.

On the one hand, it's good for future booking. On the other hand, it further dilutes what should have been a straightforward "Awesome Truth beat Judgment Day" into "Awesome Truth win a match in which two out of the six teams involved win."

24 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

I'm being deliberately obtuse but in all seriousness there is no way either of them would be coming straight in at that level. If they're comparable to, say, AJ Styles, even he had to go through the Feud of Jericho in order to access Roman later.

Not saying they would be straight in V Cody, but if The Rock and Roman both go on hiatus (especially The Rock) then things start looking a bit light at the top with Punk out as well. A nice shot in the arm would be good, especially with someone like Ospreay.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell. Another wonderful production job for the entrance of "The Final Boss" in true video game sense.

It's so over the top brilliant, that as happy as I am that Cody is (hopefully, probably, possibly) getting his moment in the sun and winning the belt, I seriously am already getting psyched up for The Rock's (final?) huge singles match at Mania 41, be in against Reigns or against Cody himself.

5 minutes ago, Mr Kennedy said:

Bloody hell. 

Wonder if they will go one better again at Mania. 

That's great that. Rock never doesn't look the business do he, ignoring that Diva Search skit with the pies, he's always look spon on!

I like that they're willing to keep adding new bits to The Rock's presentation.

Whilst I'm sure it's just a reflection of their admirable new willingness to try things and fail or recognise room for improvement (compared to the culture of fear under McMahon where everyone was trying to predict what he wanted, and were scared to not be 100% right first time), it also inadvertently completely matches The Rock's new character.

Of course he'd leave a TV taping, fire up his Sky+ and look at ways his entrance could be improved.

"I need a giant shimmering Rock, boy..."

7 hours ago, Mr.Showtime said:

I think some love should be given to the Chad Gable / Sami Zayn Rocky tribute, which I still think was missing something from being an all-time classic segment (some tongue-in-cheek comedy? More emotional music? Not sure), but I was entertained nonetheless and it got me more invested in the IC Title match this weekend. Good stuff.

Surely the story being built here is Chad turning and Gunther retaining though.

As much as I know people still love Sami, they’ve really taken away what got him to the level he did last year which was the comedy combined with the vulnerability for me.

7 hours ago, FUM said:

Surely the story being built here is Chad turning and Gunther retaining though.

As much as I know people still love Sami, they’ve really taken away what got him to the level he did last year which was the comedy combined with the vulnerability for me.

He's still showing that vulnerability. He's definitely the underdog into the match. 

However now Im wishing they did Gunther vs Zayn in a Jackass match. I just want to see Gunther chopped with a giant novelty hand.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Another really good episode.

Great opening promo. Rock is still leagues ahead of everyone in terms of aura and presentation, but to their credit they’ve done a great job trying to get Seth and Roman as close to that level as possible. Seth in particular. Now that we can view this build up as a whole, it’s probably the best thing he’s done in years. Seeing him confidently challenge The Rock from the crowd, this is the coolest and most over he’s felt in this awful, messy character.

Rock showing clips of the kids crying on social media. What a prick. I love it.

These sell out crowds, with the wide shots showing people practically hanging from the roof. Man, I wish I knew how to give AEW some of this good fortune. It adds so much to the product. Feels, looks and sounds so big time. Still makes me smile the way Rock keeps taking credit, too. Proper shithouse behaviour.

Loved the vignettes on this show. Sami and Chad doing Rocky was cheesy fun and Drew’s eulogy was spectacular. I’m almost rooting as much for DM Hunk this weekend as I am Cody Rhodes.

I think Chad is turning on Sami. I’ll never forgive him.

Worst part of the show was that Becky/Rhea footage from the MMA Hour. Was rubbish in real time, was equally as rubbish in highlight form. I wouldn’t have bothered putting it on the show. Crap work all round.

Roman missing his time cue in that opening segment and interrupting his own promo about a second or two before Seth’s music actually hit should have been awkward and embarrassing. Pat McAfee saved it though. The silliness of him claiming that Roman was interrupted by the, “gust of wind” that always occurs just before Seth’s music hits. You have to admire the balls to say something so stupid. Genuinely made me laugh.

It speaks to how lost this company was for so long that it still feels so novel for them to just send Ricochet out there to have a daft, fun match every week. I’m still not convinced he can ever become something great, but these wild exhibitions are a highlight each week.

Another brilliant, basic, meat and potatoes heat angle to close the show. I don’t know if it’s Cody, The Rock or both of them, but whoever has determined the direction of this feud the last two weeks has absolutely nailed it. Proper pro-wrestling. I can’t remember the last time I felt anything for the Seth Rollins character, but when he gave The Rock that shit-eating grin, before the Cody reveal? That was ace. Real punch-the-air stuff.

Fair play to Roman too. He put a shift in all night. You could sense he knew how overshadowed he was, so he was out there putting in more effort than he has in months. Going so fast that he tripped over the desk that was lying on the floor! I can’t remember the last time he moved so quickly out there! That horrible, guttural Mob boss screaming he does whilst murdering people is stellar work as well. Just top drawer stuff across the board. The audible gasps from the white hot crowd when Cody tried to do a Rock Bottom through the table. The brilliant cinematography when Jey Uso went brawling in the back, only to fly back out like he’d been shot out of a cannon, with The Rock revealing himself. The Rock showing some arse, selling his bollocks off when Cody mounted some offence. He even took a bump and didn’t burst into dust! Felt like a kid watching this whole thing unfold. When it’s good it’s great.

Also, Michael Cole’s call at the end was amazing, asking how the fuck you stop these two bohemoths. Raising their belts to close the show. Top, top baddies. A seemingly impossible mountain for our heroes to climb on the biggest show of all time. Fucking yes. Home run. It’s nothing short of bonkers how they turned this whole thing around from the disaster we got in January. It’s still a mess, but what a hot, wild mess. I’m absolutely buzzing for Mania. Best time of year even during those dark days when they couldn’t do anything right. When they’re on fire though? Promised land stuff.

Edited by Supremo