Veggie / Vegan food

Chris B

• Moderators
10 hours ago, deathrey said:

Have you tried any of the Coconut milk yogurts @Chest Rockwell?  Koko and The Coconut Collaborative are both quite nice and the best of the non-dairy stuff I've found.  Though, I genuinely don't think any are as good as dairy yogurt. 

I haven't.. Will give them a go. I think it's a tough one particularly because if you have flavoured yoghurt you can mask it a bit, but because I'm looking for natural yoghurt the difference in the substitutes is much more noticeable.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Oatgurt is the most impressive of the yogurts I've tried so far. I haven't tried the plain one, but the blueberry and strawberry ones are both excellent. Annoyingly, it's sold out from my local place and I don't know if they'll get more in.

211688_oatgurt_400g_uk_group_lowres_220848_crop.jpg.20b75a5c45c674542ec9008ef6390775.jpg

• Paid Members
On 5/26/2021 at 10:17 PM, SuperBacon said:

This is really, REALLY good and for 80p you really can't go wrong.

8yo did say it tasted like "chalky chocolate sauce" but what does she know?

spacer.png

I fucking love this stuff, mostly the fact it's 80p. Sure it tastes like cheap chocolate ice cream (the own brand £1 a litre stuff) but I always used to love that too.

Get all 3 flavours and make yourself a bargain Neapolitan.

• Paid Members
On 5/26/2021 at 10:17 PM, SuperBacon said:

This is really, REALLY good and for 80p you really can't go wrong.

8yo did say it tasted like "chalky chocolate sauce" but what does she know?

spacer.png

I fucking love this stuff, mostly the fact it's 80p. Sure it tastes like cheap chocolate ice cream (the own brand £1 a litre stuff) but I always used to love that too.

Get all 3 flavours and make yourself a bargain Neapolitan.

• Paid Members

Posted this in the "Recipes On Youtube" thread, but the "Spain On A Fork" channel has a lot of really nice-looking veggie dishes, some of which he provides tips for to make completely vegan. The first one, I'm particularly intrigued by, and will be looking to try it out.

• Paid Members

Finished work this morning and there's nowt in the cupboard so this thread inspired me to go full vegan eatclean. (oxymoron maybe?) Just wolfed down two Burger King Vegan Royales I had delivered. Hit the spot nicely, Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 5/28/2021 at 1:24 PM, Carbomb said:

Posted this in the "Recipes On Youtube" thread, but the "Spain On A Fork" channel has a lot of really nice-looking veggie dishes, some of which he provides tips for to make completely vegan. The first one, I'm particularly intrigued by, and will be looking to try it out.

So I got round to trying the first of these, the "Gypsy Stew" or Olla Gitana as it's called in Spanish. 

It's really good. Very difficult to get wrong, because you're basically cooking a load of simple ingredients together. Used squash instead of pumpkin, but it still worked. The flavours are rich, but fresh; the pear and mint were the bits I was apprehensive about, but they added a beautiful edge to it.

I almost got it vegan - I used a bit of white wine instead of wine vinegar, and it most likely wasn't vegan. So close. But I think I'll be able to get it right for my vegan mates.

Pics:

IMG20210608201030.jpg

IMG20210608201022.jpg

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I almost got it vegan - I used a bit of white wine instead of wine vinegar, and it most likely wasn't vegan. So close. But I think I'll be able to get it right for my vegan mates.

https://www.barnivore.com/wine?region=United+Kingdom there's a list here of wines that are vegan, if you don't want to sacrifice that as an ingredient (while not vegan I have plenty of vegan friends so I use this as a handy guide when buying wine if it's for them)

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, mim731 said:

https://www.barnivore.com/wine?region=United+Kingdom there's a list here of wines that are vegan, if you don't want to sacrifice that as an ingredient (while not vegan I have plenty of vegan friends so I use this as a handy guide when buying wine if it's for them)

Thanks, that will definitely come in handy!

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

What goes into wine to make it non-vegan?

Some of the fining agents used in wine can use egg albumen, gelatine or isinglass, I believe. Same with some beers.