Veggie / Vegan food

Chris B

Came to this thread for some inspiration as I usually give up meat for lent and previous years have just consisted of me eating different meals to the rest of the family however this year my aim was to try and make the same meals just meat free alternatives.

Last night was my first time trying quorn mince which I made a chilli with. Not sure whether I did something wrong but it was awful?

Vegan mince isn't great on the whole and Quorn is one of the worst ones. Also avoid the Meatless Farm once. I literally couldn't eat the bolognaise made with it. Oomph (which has a great flavour but weird bitty texture) and Tesco plant chef are the best I've found.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Came to this thread for some inspiration as I usually give up meat for lent and previous years have just consisted of me eating different meals to the rest of the family however this year my aim was to try and make the same meals just meat free alternatives.

Last night was my first time trying quorn mince which I made a chilli with. Not sure whether I did something wrong but it was awful?

Quorn needs to be cooked for about 10 minutes. If you use it like you would regular mince (I.e cook it slow for hours) it turns to mush. But I don’t use quorn mince. I find most store brands are better, however I normally use lentils instead of a mince replacement now days.

14 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Oumph! Mince is much nicer than Quorn, I've been finding it cheap in Farmfoods recently.

Meatless Farm mince is really good. Tesco and Morrisons both sell it and I find it holds together much better than Quorn as long as you don't overcook it.  Much more of a "meat replacement" than Quorn which I think of as more of a meat substitute, in the sense Quorn exists to fill in for the meat you're excluding but doesn't replicate mince in any meaningful way. 

7 hours ago, CTXRussomark said:

Meatless Farm mince is really good.

Possibly one of the worst things I have ever eaten.

I think I told the story on here, the kids wouldn't eat it either which meant that I had about 3x days of this absolutely grim bolognese to plough through. 

Dreadful. 

34 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Possibly one of the worst things I have ever eaten.

I think I told the story on here, the kids wouldn't eat it either which meant that I had about 3x days of this absolutely grim bolognese to plough through. 

Dreadful. 

How interesting.  I've found it to be one of the few veggie minces that you can properly brown off in the pan before adding it to a sauce to keep its texture and have never had an issue with the taste.  

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I honestly think some others like even the Iceland burgers taste better than your average meat burger.

I don't doubt that you believe that, but statements like this are only ever made by people who haven't eaten meat in months or even years. You can say what you like it don't like, but I don't think you're in any place to judge the comparison with real meat.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I don't doubt that you believe that, but statements like this are only ever made by people who haven't eaten meat in months or even years. You can say what you like it don't like, but I don't think you're in any place to judge the comparison with real meat.

Tbf it was the first burger I tried when I decided to go vegetarian for a month so it was still close enough for me to know what burgers were like. However now I’ve not eaten meat for years it’s harder for me to be able to judge things in that way.

1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

Burger King are giving away free Vegan Royales today through their app.

It’s in celebration that their new flagship store in Leicester Square which for the first month is fully vegan including brand new vegan items and the first time their Whopper can be considered vegan as there is no cross contamination 

• Awards Moderator
12 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I would recommend replacing the meat with lentils instead. You get that 'mealy' squishiness you get from mince and it's pretty good for you too. If you can't be arsed with soaking some you can get ready cooked lentils in pouches (like the rice) you can warm through straight from the pack.

EDIT: I didn't notice Scorch had mentioned it earlier. That'll be because I have him on Ignore.

Edited by Onyx2

I third the shout for lentils, I've stopped using fake mince for things like pies and use lentils instead. I tend to use tinned ones, they are pretty much ready to eat so you dont have to soak them. It's something I always have in my cupboard.