Veggie / Vegan food

Chris B

I had the Sainsbury's Plant Pioneers VLT sandwich (well, actually 4x of them as they were marked down to 30p)

It has Vegan Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and Vegan Baconnaise. 

The Tomato was pretty overpowering (as is often the case when they're in sandwiches) but it was decent enough. Not worth £3, but then what sandwich is? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So I've been following this channel, as he's put up some delicious-looking dishes, particularly noodle ones:

https://youtube.com/@YEUNGMANCOOKING

I'd been wanting to try these for some time, so took a quick trip to my local Oriental minimarket to pick up tobanjian, Chinese black vinegar, and gochugaru. Today I got to try the hot & sweet chilli noodles:

I used udon instead of ramen, and mixed nuts instead of peanuts, but it is fucking lush. 

Very tasty, very spicy, very evil.

IMG20230123140809.jpg

IMG20230123140801.jpg

1 hour ago, The Guvnor said:

I'm loving Aldi again at the moment for their veggie / vegan range.

The veggie lasagne, mushroom bolognese and frozen sausages in batter are particular favourites, along with the red pepper and mozzarella parcels they've been doing for years.

Have you tried their new vegan stuffed crust pizza? I had the vegetable salsa one which was pretty good if a little too sweet.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Had friends round on Friday, so made a vegetable curry and jeerah rice. Turned out quite nicely. Never cooked rice using the Bangladeshi method before, so was pleased it all ended up scoffed.

IMG20230224183047.jpg

IMG20230224184146.jpg

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

I struggle with rice cooking so much that I tend to rely on boil in the bag. 

Buy a rice cooker. A staple of many Asian homes. You can buy very small ones for personal sizes, or large family ones. They're very cheap and you will never have to think about cooking rice well again.

• Paid Members

This is the recipe I used (I screwed up by missing out the extra spoonful of jeerah, and I didn't have fresh green chilis in the house, but it still turned out great):

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

This could easily just go in #eatclean but I had Aldi's vegan chip shop curry and rice for breakfast, pretty good.

The Aldi range is really good innit? Haven’t tried the battered sausages yet (unlike your mum) but they look interesting. 

Marinaded some tofu in soy, chilli, garlic and ginger last night and did it in the air fryer. I’ve got this old cookbook and did the “Firecracker sauce” recipe, essentially a hot and sweet chilli sauce, and added the tofu. Was well lush!