Veggie / Vegan food

Chris B

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Love chestnuts; I don't use them often enough. 

Made a chestnut potage/cream soup recently using the below recipe (apologies for posting a recipe with foie gras - even as a meat-eater, I will not eat this; I only used the soup recipe):

The actual soup was delicious, but very thick and rich, almost too much - next time I do this, I'll add some extra garnish or side portion of something to balance the flavour, most likely a grilled portobello mushroom, or perhaps some chargrilled aubergine.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Greggs aren't selling a vegan festive bake this year, instead we have a curry one which honestly sounds better but I kind of miss that weird tasting thing.

You could get a bag of sage stuffing and just eat it? Same effect :)

Edited by SuperBacon

• 1 month later...

Do you have Instagram @Merzbow? Tofutasha is a Birmingham based vegan food blogger, I recommend following her. I'm vegetarian rather than vegan and I've not gotten in to Birmingham Centre much since having kids so I'm a bit out of touch as to what is good for vegans. Medicine bakery do excellent food and have great vegetarian options, if memory serves correctly they have a good vegan menu too. Early Bird bakery in Kings Norton is one of my favourite places in Birmingham, they have a sister cafe in Birmingham Centre on Corporation Street called Perch which I haven't tried but if it's anything like Early Bird, it'll be wonderful. Evening meal wise Land is great but you have to pre-book I think.

Independent Birmingham app is excellent, it's all independent cafes and restaurants in Birmingham and you can filter by cuisines type if I remember rightly. I've found lots of great places to eat through that which I never would have discovered otherwise.

Edited by deathrey

Yeah that closed just after the pandemic I think. It's been awful for that over the last two years. So many independent places have just disappeared.

A note about Medicine, it is an independent but they've recently opened up a branch in Selfridges - I have no idea if the menu in Selfridges is the normal menu but the Mailbox branch and the one next to Nandos (by the Floozy not Bullring) have the full menu

Edited by deathrey

Been veggie for a few months now. Told the mother - no hassle, I'll sort my own grub - I won't be eating the traditional Christmas dinner. 

She just WhatsApped me back, having gone full Turbo Irish Mammy mode. This is for one day, you mind:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Been veggie for a few months now. Told the mother - no hassle, I'll sort my own grub - I won't be eating the traditional Christmas dinner. 

She just WhatsApped me back, having gone full Turbo Irish Mammy mode. This is for one day, you mind:

spacer.png

spacer.png

My friend in Ireland raves about the SoB range!

39 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

My friend in Ireland raves about the SoB range!

I've never had it before so I'm looking forward to it! Have heard only good things as well.

Also as much as the word 'facon' gives me the willies, Trick'n Goujon is an inspired bit of pun and sounds like someone whose grime album I'd totally listen to. 

@Merzbow Have had the white pudding before. Can confirm it is top shelf.