Veggie / Vegan food

Chris B

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Any lentil in particular? I use red split lentils for making lentil soup but I assume its different ones for chilli or bolognese etc?

I found green and/or puy lentils to both be pretty good as a meat substitute. 

5 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Any lentil in particular? I use red split lentils for making lentil soup but I assume its different ones for chilli or bolognese etc?

Just an addition, I don't use lentils for chilli, I tend to use Quinoa instead. I cook it in a bit of stock and then chuck it in the chilli whilst its cooking. Get's some extra protein in and I find it much more filling. Plus you don't have to do an accompaniment like rice.

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Tried a McPlant today and it was OK. Didn’t taste bad but nowhere near as good as Linda McCartney 1/4 Mozarella Burgers which are still king.

It’s funny isn’t it. I don’t rate the LM burgers at all. Still remember eating the pulled pork ones which are ghastly. But the duck kit, southern fried chicken and sausages I like a lot.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It’s funny isn’t it. I don’t rate the LM burgers at all. Still remember eating the pulled pork ones which are ghastly. But the duck kit, southern fried chicken and sausages I like a lot.

We don’t rate the standard 1/4 LM Burgers but love the Mozarella ones. Weren’t keen on the sausages.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

We don’t rate the standard 1/4 LM Burgers but love the Mozarella ones. Weren’t keen on the sausages.

I like the sausages because 2 minutes in the microwave and they’re done! Much better sausages from Richmond or This Isn’t but for a cheap quick fix they do the job.

• 2 weeks later...

Waitrose is going to be stocking Biffs from this Wednesday for the rich folk among us.

https://www.totallyveganbuzz.com/food/waitrose-new-vegan-chicken-wings-with-realistic-bones/?amp

Full disclosure, the actual Biff is a mate of my best mate (alright, calm down SuperFogg), but honestly the Biffs range, despite being all "Vegan AF" and products "dropping" is really bloody good, the crispy Jackfruit burgers especially. 

Quite heartening and inspiring to see him go from a street food van, to Boxpark, to meal kits to this, and him and his team have worked bloody hard to get this far, so I hope it does well.

Not sure about the fake 'chicken' bone, but each to their own.

The fake bone is massively off-putting for me. Surely that appeals more to people who eat meat but are trying to have meat free days etc than actual vegans/vegetarians? 

I will give the burgers a go on your recommendation @SuperBaconwhen/if our Waitrose stock them

13 minutes ago, deathrey said:

The fake bone is massively off-putting for me. Surely that appeals more to people who eat meat but are trying to have meat free days etc than actual vegans/vegetarians? 

Yeah definitely. It's made of sugar cane, and is supposed to replicate an "authentic" wing eating experience. 

I would've thought that the mere idea of eating a bone for a non meat eater who doesn't eat meat for ethical reasons, would be utterly repulsive. 

I get the novelty behind the idea, but it's a no for me Clive.

51 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The McPlant is 99p today through the app. Well worth it if you are still to try it.

It's a shit to get tho, you have to pick from one of three "cups" and you won't know what's under them but...

Pro-Tip: Pick the middle one.

• 2 weeks later...