Veggie / Vegan food

Chris B

• Paid Members
On 6/9/2021 at 4:50 PM, BomberPat said:

isinglass

Where they took the hobbits

Anyway, today, I made another dish from Spain On A Fork, Andalusian Chickpea stew, or Potaje de garbanzos de Baza. Was vegetarian rather than vegan, as I'd run out of almonds to use for the thickener, so had to use the egg that the video recipe called for instead.

Recipe video here: 

Turned out really well - I love that smoky paprika flavour, and it's good to be able to make dishes to help rein in the meat consumption a bit. Also, I normally hate peppers in large chunks, because they taste bitter to me, but in small pieces, when they're influencing the flavour of a dish rather than overpowering it, I really like them. 

Really flavoursome, and very filling, so I'm looking forward to making this again.

IMG20210616193538.jpg

IMG20210616194449.jpg

• Paid Members

What do you find are the best vegan cheeses and mince substitutes (non-soya)?

My partner eats extra mature cheddar and any non-dairy cheese I tried years ago were flavourless in comparison and almost too creamy so I’m struggling to get him to switch. With mince, the few we’ve tried have been “too mushy” so again, a hard sell.  Appreciate any ideas!

Edited by choccygirl

• Paid Members

My wife doesn't really care for any "pre-made" minces either, but we recently discovered this recipe through having to try out a low fodmap diet (which is a whole other story...) where the "mince" is a block of tempeh blitzed up in a food processor:

https://www.fodmapeveryday.com/recipes/low-fodmap-tempeh-lentil-chili-with-butternut-squash/

We both thought it made a great mince substitute and intend to try using it in other recipes (e.g. spag bol, which we've previously tried recipes where the mince substitute is just lentils or blitzed up walnuts, to varying results).

I finally tried Burger Kings Vegan Royale. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, it was pretty good. Husband had a Chicken Royale but tried mine and said he might order it next time as it was more flavourful. The fries had waaay too much salt on though. And I ordered 20 chilli cheese bites and ate most of them.

• Paid Members

We had Nandos tonight. Wife had a Rainbow Bowl with the imitator chicken strips and Halloumi. I had The imitator Wrap. Both were delicious. They also gave me a pot of Garlic Perinaise for feedback on now it’s vegan. That was also a great sauce.  Well impressed. 

I was never much of a fan of fake meat but a lot of the fast food places are upping their game and coming out with some great stuff. I liked the imitator wrap when I had it too.  I know veggies/vegans are hardly queuing up to go there but McDonalds really need to up their game, the veggie offering is abysmal compared to everyone else. The veggie burger is so dry, it's like eating sawdust. How do they get it so wrong? 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Tried these tonight. Made a chilli dog with a home made veggie chilli using Sainsburys plant pioneer "mince". Would have been vegan but I had cheese on.

As a chilli dog, it was really nice. The "hot dogs" on their own aren't brilliant. Didn't have the texture or flavour right. 93 cals though and no ears, eyes or arseholes swept off a factory floor!

Screenshot_20211121-183031_Google.jpg

20211121_182420_copy_1209x1612.jpg