Veggie / Vegan food

Chris B

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

This will sound a tad ungrateful towards supermarkets, but that’s the trouble with veganuary. You get all this choice and it’s fantastic. Then come February you can’t find a couple of products that you’ve discovered and you’re back to only a few options. So if there is stuff in the frozen section you like, stock up in the last week of January because you may never see them again!

A friend said that. She asked Aldi and they said they believed most were there to stay so fingers crossed for you.

I can't stand the pretend meat stuff. Had many recommended and they're never good. Even the Subway meatless meatballs which I ate quite a bit weren't great. I like vegetable stuff rather than vegetarian. It's a small distinction but veggies in breadcrumbs will beat meat substitute every time.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

A friend said that. She asked Aldi and they said they believed most were there to stay so fingers crossed for you.

I can't stand the pretend meat stuff. Had many recommended and they're never good. Even the Subway meatless meatballs which I ate quite a bit weren't great. I like vegetable stuff rather than vegetarian. It's a small distinction but veggies in breadcrumbs will beat meat substitute every time.

None of the substitutes will ever be as good as the real thing, but the main one that stands on it's own merits are the Linda McCartney Mozarella Burgers which we've picked to eat over regular burgers when we've fancied burgers.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

I think they're absolutely horrendous. They have a really weird taste of something which I can't quite work out what it is.

Then you'd hate the Linda McCartney shredded duck. I have no sense of taste and it still tasted bad. Texture like slimy rubber too.

I forgot to mention too, the Quorn Southern Fried Nuggets are incredible.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Then you'd hate the Linda McCartney shredded duck. I have no sense of taste and it still tasted bad. Texture like slimy rubber too.

I forgot to mention too, the Quorn Southern Fried Nuggets are incredible.

The duck was the first veggie replacement my wife ever had, before she stopped eating meat and loved it and we had it again last night alongside a Vegan Chinese takeaway (my local has a huge selection). But we’ve only had the fresh kit box, not the frozen duck so do t know if it’s different 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The duck was the first veggie replacement my wife ever had, before she stopped eating meat and loved it and we had it again last night alongside a Vegan Chinese takeaway (my local has a huge selection). But we’ve only had the fresh kit box, not the frozen duck so do t know if it’s different 

Oh we had the frozen, I wouldn't recommend it!

• Paid Members
On 1/17/2021 at 9:08 AM, FelatioLips said:

None of the substitutes will ever be as good as the real thing, but the main one that stands on it's own merits are the Linda McCartney Mozarella Burgers which we've picked to eat over regular burgers when we've fancied burgers.

My partner and I particularly like those. Ideally, a little over-done. Haven't found another one that comes close.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, deathrey said:

The Linda McCartney sausages and pies I think are great but not a fan of the rest of the range. I didn't enjoy the burgers at all.

I don't particularly like the regular burgers they do. Just the Mozzarella Quarter Pounders. Most of the rest of what they do, I'd go for supermarket own-brands.

• Paid Members

I rather like good meat substitutes. The burger I had at the Vegan Junk Food Cafe in Amsterdam was delicious. I'm pretty much of the view that I don't think I'll ever really be able to go vegan or even vegetarian, but it was the food we had at that place and a couple of other vegan eateries that made me think I could definitely scale back the meat much more in my diet than I used to think.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I rather like good meat substitutes. The burger I had at the Vegan Junk Food Cafe in Amsterdam was delicious. I'm pretty much of the view that I don't think I'll ever really be able to go vegan or even vegetarian, but it was the food we had at that place and a couple of other vegan eateries that made me think I could definitely scale back the meat much more in my diet than I used to think.

That's exactly the approach we took. We completely understand why people go Vegan/Vegetarian but we personally just enjoy meat too much to lose it completely. We try a lot of Veggie stuff though and have replaced real meat with some of it for the most part, but our meat intake as a whole has dropped right down.

• 2 weeks later...

Made pasta bolognese with this shit last night, as it was on offer in Morrisons, and shit is the operative word. It was so dry I had to add half a fucking gallon of oil whilst cooking it, the consistency is shit, it tastes horrible and the texture is weird.

Also, the kids didn't like theirs, so I have about 3x days worth of it to eat as I absolutely cannot waste food. So that's something to look forward to this weekend.

Avoid.

spacer.png