Veggie / Vegan food

Chris B

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I find tofu very unpalatable but may have to give this method a try, I think I would like it a little more if it were firmer.

Two types of Tofu. Silken which is really best for baking or as an egg replacement, and firm. Sounds like you may have had the former

7 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Cut first. Will improve both the texture and flavour.

I must have messed up prepping as they didn't really cut up properly into cubes so I was just left with baked misshapen lumps of tofu, which kind of just resembled when I scramble it anyway, and my brain didn't allow me to enjoy it in a different way. I also thought it would change the texture more.

Roasted broccoli was spot on though so there was that.

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Two types of Tofu. Silken which is really best for baking or as an egg replacement, and firm. Sounds like you may have had the former

I've been vegetarian for 25 years and have tried both. The only time I've ever really enjoyed tofu is when it is in Thai food, I've never had much luck recreating the texture at home.

With the freezer method you would use firm tofu I assume?

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, deathrey said:

I've been vegetarian for 25 years and have tried both. The only time I've ever really enjoyed tofu is when it is in Thai food, I've never had much luck recreating the texture at home.

With the freezer method you would use firm tofu I assume?

Yeah, 100%. Also puffed Tofu is often what Asian restaurants use, but you’ll need to go to an Asian supermarket for that.

I've been vegetarian for 25+ years and for a long time have made my own veggie lasagnes.

I used to use a packet mix called Beanfeast as the 'meat' for years, but they've stopped making it now, so I've been experimenting with alternatives. The best I've found so far is a Lloyd Grossman bolognese mix with lentils and various other stuff, which I heat and bulk up with Quorn mince.

Up until not long ago, I was getting a lot of good veggie / vegan stuff from Aldi, but they seem to have reduced the range a bit just recently. Maybe they'll bring some of the stuff back on rotation.

I think Aldi is one of those places that doesn't always have regular lines, it's what they get in so there stick levels tend to fluctuate but most things circle back eventually.

I used to love a bit of Beanfeast, not had it in a while, I'm sad to hear it's been discontinued

2 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I think Aldi is one of those places that doesn't always have regular lines, it's what they get in so there stick levels tend to fluctuate but most things circle back eventually.

I used to love a bit of Beanfeast, not had it in a while, I'm sad to hear it's been discontinued

Yeah, hopefully the stuff they're not currently doing will come back at some point.

And yes, I'm sad enough to have contacted Bachelors about Beanfeast when I was having trouble finding it anywhere. They confirmed that it's been discontinued, with no plans to bring it back at the moment :(

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you who care about such things, Oatly are catching major shit for accepting a major investment from the Blackstone Group (Trump lovers, rainforest burners, all round capitalist cunts) and their Twitter responses about how it helps spread the word about plant based products is an absolute horror show at the moment.

In other news, I had the 7 Layer Burrito at Taco Bell yesterday, and it was extremely good shit.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

spacer.png

Just tried these and was pretty impressed. Very good texture, held together and they were very burgery. 7 year old didn't notice they were meat free as well, the absolute suckeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.

I've found that squashing them down a little and giving them the lightest coating of english mustard before frying makes them taste even meatier

• Paid Members

I was quite impressed by the vegan chicken and mushroom Pukka Pie the other day. Tasted spot on but more at home in the eat clean thread maybe.