Veggie / Vegan food

Chris B

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, ElCece said:

Is it Vegan? 

Absolutely! Purely plant based menu down to the ice cream and shakes they do!

@SuperBaconi thought the sauces were the let down. Really runny, but found the texture of the chicken spot on, but could be either  a bad day that you went, or that my rose tinted memories of Kebabs meant I thought it was spot on. We went to Burgerz and Bangerz as well. Wife had a moving mountains hot dog and I had the chick’n burger. Both were nice but the burger was no different to Temple of Seitan I’ve had in London or the happy chicken (I think that’s it’s name) in Brighton 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Absolutely! Purely plant based menu down to the ice cream and shakes they do!

@SuperBaconi thought the sauces were the let down. Really runny, but found the texture of the chicken spot on, but could be either  a bad day that you went, or that my rose tinted memories of Kebabs meant I thought it was spot on. We went to Burgerz and Bangerz as well. Wife had a moving mountains hot dog and I had the chick’n burger. Both were nice but the burger was no different to Temple of Seitan I’ve had in London or the happy chicken (I think that’s it’s name) in Brighton 

Looks absolutely awesome. More than a touch jealous.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ElCece said:

Looks absolutely awesome. More than a touch jealous.

It’s a small chain. Have a few dotted about. But Brighton was a great choice for Vegans or vegetarians. Though a few places we wanted to go would not allow walk-ins and we’re booked the whole time. Just an excuse to go back

• Paid Members

Merzbow's post about Veggie Corner reminded me of Chennai Dosa in Wembley, where they split their restaurant into separate sections, one for veggies, and one for CARNISTS(!). Really good food there.

I just found out they closed permanently, but simultaneously that they're quite a successful chain, with branches in several places in the UK, including Coventry and Manchester. Unfortunately, their London(ish) branches are quite far from me, mostly in the extreme reaches of Saaf Lahndahn, and one in East Ham, which I have no other reason to visit ever.

But I strongly recommend them as an eatery in general.

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Merzbow's post about Veggie Corner reminded me of Chennai Dosa in Wembley, where they split their restaurant into separate sections, one for veggies, and one for CARNISTS(!). Really good food there.

I just found out they closed permanently, but simultaneously that they're quite a successful chain, with branches in several places in the UK, including Coventry and Manchester. Unfortunately, their London(ish) branches are quite far from me, mostly in the extreme reaches of Saaf Lahndahn, and one in East Ham, which I have no other reason to visit ever.

But I strongly recommend them as an eatery in general.

It appears we have one about 10 minutes away from me, I may have to check it out. I've not had a Dosa in about 2 years. I was always quite partial to a paneer one when I lived up north but never found one as good here- partly because there are lots of other great options in Birmingham and I usually pick them first.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, deathrey said:

It appears we have one about 10 minutes away from me, I may have to check it out. I've not had a Dosa in about 2 years. I was always quite partial to a paneer one when I lived up north but never found one as good here- partly because there are lots of other great options in Birmingham and I usually pick them first.

Ah, cool! Let us know what you think. As I understand it, they're a franchise system, which potentially means that one restaurant's output might be different from that of others. It'd be good to know how consistent they are.

[robot voice] Activating UKFF culinary agents: Keith Houchen to branch in Manchester, Merzbow to Coventry branch, Chest Rockwell to Croydon...[/robot voice]

EDIT: There was a mini-chain of veggie restaurants not far from me, Jai Krishna in Stroud Green and Jai Shri Krishna in Wood Green - unfortunately the latter closed. But they do amazing Indian vegetarian food, and for a really good price. They have a masala dosa on the menu at something like £2.50, and it's both delicious and gigantic - supposed to be a starter, but really fills you up.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yep, I have been to the Croydon Chennai Dosa a number of times, @Carbomb - always reliable!

Nice. If the standard's consistent across the board, might very well visit the East Ham one when the current situation passes.

For anyone within range of Hackney Wick, I can't recommend the Hogless Roast highly enough. They usually operate as a touring food van and I first came across them at a vegan market at Coventry's Fargo Village. They were giving away free samples of their hash brown bites and basically everyone who tried one went and bought a full order (the hash brown bites are sprinkled with Tubby Tom's Dragon Salt, which has since become a bit of an addiction for my girlfriend and I.) We now go out of our way any time they are anywhere nearby. 

Speaking of Fargo Village, anyone in Cov who hasn't tried Dirty Kitsch needs to get down there and have some of their vegan fried chicken. I'd recommend getting a side of garlic mash with it. Delicious! 

• Moderators
On 9/29/2020 at 8:44 PM, SuperBacon said:

spacer.png

Just tried these and was pretty impressed. Very good texture, held together and they were very burgery. 7 year old didn't notice they were meat free as well, the absolute suckeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.

Just tried one of these on the strength of the recommendations in this thread. Really good! Hope it's ok on the way out as some of these meat subs fuck with my guts but I really liked it.

7 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Just tried one of these on the strength of the recommendations in this thread. Really good! Hope it's ok on the way out as some of these meat subs fuck with my guts but I really liked it.

Decent aren't they? One of the 'burgery-ist' ones I've had. Those and the Meat Free Richmond sausages are still my favourite meat free products at the moment.

Tried these the other day and they are fucking shit. Avoid.  spacer.png

Edited by SuperBacon