Veggie / Vegan food

Chris B

Homegrown aubergines and tomatoes are just completely different to shop ones.  And tomatoes are piss easy to grow.

Our veg patch has been blighted by ants this year - they eat the seed out of the ground before it can germinate.  So no parsnips for me next winter. :(

• Paid Members

Apologies, I believe this was asked in the old thread. 

20200629_135046.thumb.jpg.eeb5c84a1dc383f3aaf9d009cd387478.jpg

Picked up some of these to use in Fajitas but the instructions say they need to be heated in about 300ml of sauce. Are they gonna be awful if I roast them dry in the oven? Any tips? 

Cheers. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

Apologies, I believe this was asked in the old thread. 

20200629_135046.thumb.jpg.eeb5c84a1dc383f3aaf9d009cd387478.jpg

Picked up some of these to use in Fajitas but the instructions say they need to be heated in about 300ml of sauce. Are they gonna be awful if I roast them dry in the oven? Any tips? 

Cheers. 

I normally just whack these in a wok with some oil and cook them through. I assume you'll be doing some seasoned veggies? If so, cook them until they start to go a bit soft (you can poke a knife through) and then add them to the veg and let cook.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

Cheers. 

Yeah was gonna fry up some onion and peppers to go with so I guess I'll just throw everything in the pan and heat them that way. 

That's what I normally do with these for fajitas (with some seasoning) and it works really well, you'll be grand. 

• 1 month later...

I am sure someone has told me before but what's the best way of baking tofu? Is it best to bake the whole block, then cut up, or cut into cubes and then bake?

I've got spices, herbs, probably a fajita rub somewhere, oil, lemon juice etc and really fancied having Baked Tofu, Roasted Broccoli and Potatoes (yeah, it's party time), so if anyone has good recipes for the first two then they would be much appreciated.

• Paid Members

Adding to what Chest said, if you want a meaty texture try the double freeze method. Freeze the block of tofu, then defrost it. Once thawed, whack it back in the freezer and do it again. Once you defrost it a third time to cook, the texture of the tofu changes to a meat like consistency. It’s effort, but if you know your using it in advance worth the effort.

also I marinate it for a while before cooking. Letting it absorb the flavour.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

15 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Adding to what Chest said, if you want a meaty texture try the double freeze method. Freeze the block of tofu, then defrost it. Once thawed, whack it back in the freezer and do it again. Once you defrost it a third time to cook, the texture of the tofu changes to a meat like consistency. It’s effort, but if you know your using it in advance worth the effort.

No time for that now but will keep in mind for future.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Would it be possible to get the same kind of result via salting it?

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Would it be possible to get the same kind of result via salting it?

I’m not sure. But this was taken from a recipe I saved for Tofu Chicken 

Twice frozen medium firm tofu. You may have heard of the trick where you freeze extra firm tofu then let it thaw. The ice that forms in the tofu creates pockets so when it thaws, you can squeeze the water out like you would a sponge. Then when you marinate the tofu, it can absorb much more flavour than before.