Veggie / Vegan food

Chris B

On 4/1/2023 at 11:41 AM, Keith Houchen said:

Marinaded some tofu in soy, chilli, garlic and ginger last night and did it in the air fryer. I’ve got this old cookbook and did the “Firecracker sauce” recipe, essentially a hot and sweet chilli sauce, and added the tofu. Was well lush!

I've never thought of trying tofu in the airfryer! I'm a bit funny about tofu, I tend to prefer it when it's a tougher texture, is that how it goes in the airfryer?

I tried small marinades cubes of halloumi in the airfryer- that didn't go well, it all melted. I don't know if I need to try bigger chunks of Halloumi or it just doesn't go well in the airfryer.

1 minute ago, deathrey said:

I've never thought of trying tofu in the airfryer! I'm a bit funny about tofu, I tend to prefer it when it's a tougher texture, is that how it goes in the airfryer?

Yeah, cubed up some firm tofu, left it to marinade, pat dried it with kitchen paper then add a bit of cornstarch. Gave it a shake every five or so minutes until it’s tough on the outside to touch. It was lovely and crunchy but still soft in the middle!  Definitely added to the dinner roster!

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I tried small marinades cubes of halloumi in the airfryer- that didn't go well, it all melted. I don't know if I need to try bigger chunks of Halloumi or it just doesn't go well in the airfryer.

Two main types of Tofu. Firm (normally in fridges) and silken (usually on the shelf). Silken is much softer, great for use in baking and deserts. Firm is what you want if you want a meaty texture. In Asian supermarkets you can often also get Puffed Tofu which is firm and cheery but also a little more sponge like.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, cubed up some firm tofu, left it to marinade, pat dried it with kitchen paper then add a bit of cornstarch. Gave it a shake every five or so minutes until it’s tough on the outside to touch. It was lovely and crunchy but still soft in the middle!  Definitely added to the dinner roster!

Air fryer tofu like this is cracking, we've been having it of late with a variety of packet mix sauces/marinades that were in the reduced to clear bit of Sainsbury's for pennies (buffalo wings, sticky bbq etc.)

Lovely quick cheap dinner.

On 4/2/2023 at 8:19 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Did this again and then once it was cooked, I took out the crisping plate from the air fryer, put the tofu back in, crumbled a pack of microwave rice over it and added the remaining marinade before giving it a stir and cooking it for two more minutes. Tofu fried rice!! Delicious, quick, and really really easy to make!

• 2 weeks later...

Expanded on that tofu stuff above by switching to rice done in the rice cooker in the morning. Makes the whole thing even nicer. 

Anyway, tried one of Aldi’s no pork battered sausage with some chips (all done in the air fryer of course) and curry sauce. The batter was lovely and crisp and the sausage part was really good texture and taste, like your mum said. Would definitely recommend. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don’t go in for those back door vegan shenanigans but I had a meal out last week and as part of the starting platter there was cauliflower chicken wings minus the chicken. My brain couldn’t handle the confusion. There was no meat but it felt like meat but it was vegetables! Mind blown. They were the nicest thing on the platter and it had meat stuff on it! Actually the second nicest thing was the hummus. Those sneaky vegan bastards DID backdoor me!