VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Air is literally just people in boardrooms talking about Michael Jordan. Can't complain cos it's what I expected and it was watchable somehow. There's lots of good 80s music in it too.

I guess I really will watch anything with Ben Affleck in it.

I loved Renfield but it really is my bag, Nic Cage was amazing as Dracula. I love offbeat horror comedies like Beetlejuice and Death becomes her and it had that vibe with added kick ass/kingsman extreme OTT action and gory violence. Hoult was well cast but Cage was something else.

Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre (Guy Ritchie) - I won't beat about the bush, this isn't good at all.  Ritchie is hit and miss anyway but this suffers from "pandemic shoot" where everything is either a small closed shoot or a helicopter wide-shot, and nobody is invested in the story; it also suffers from re-edit syndrome where they accidentally wrote and filmed a story with Ukranian bad guys and then Russia invaded.

Given all the issue, just getting it to the screen is a win.  Worst feature - in a 114 minute run length there's 112 minutes of music, all of which is relentlessly repetitive.  Best feature - Hugh Grant's Michael Caine impression is really coming along well.

Minions Rise of Gru - finally got round to seeing this, loved the first Minions film and the first two Despicable Me movies but, bar the odd funny moment, this felt a little flat but watchable. There’s a fun extra on the BluRay of Steve Carell and the cast recording their lines and having fun doing so, particularly Danny Trejo and JCVD

Managed to watch a few things over the weekend. 

The Whole Shootin' Match (YouTube) - I've been meaning to check out Eagle Pennell's work for a while and figured I'd start with his first feature. It's a low-budget, 16mm black-and-white indie about two blue-collar drinking buddies trying to make it rich with various schemes in small-town Texas. It was enjoyable (if not exceptional or anything), and I could see why it would inspire the likes of Richard Linklater to start making their own films. It did enough to convince me to seek out Last Night at the Alamo in the near future. 

2 Days in the Valley (Paramount Plus) - This was a really decent watch. First of all, the cast is tremendous, with James Spader, Jeff Daniels, Danny Aiello, Eric Stoltz and (in her first ever performance) Charlize Theron all doing good work. It's one of those 'lives intersecting in weird and wonderful ways' films and very mid-90's, though that's not necessarily a bad thing. 

Cheatin' Hearts (YouTube) - Been looking for this for years, to no avail, before some legend uploaded it on Saturday. It's not a tremendous film or anything, but it's a small town western drama, which is absolutely one of my favourite sub-genres. Good cast, too, with Josh Brolin and Sally Kirkland doing most of the heavy lifting. Kris Kristofferson shows up for about ten minutes too, which is nice. Tone is a little iffy in places and it's a tad melodramatic at times, but worth a watch, I'd say. Good soundtrack, too, with Lucinda Williams and Michael Martin Murphy making appearances. 

• Paid Members

The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan

MV5BZGM1NjE5MzQtMmNiYy00ZWIxLWFiMGUtMzE1N2EzNzY0MjY0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMTUxMzk1._V1_.thumb.jpg.df8bfbfa93cd652e467f79ee21e9ea54.jpg

Holy shit, this is fun. First French version of The Three Musketeers in 60 years, and it's just exactly what you want from it. It's fast-moving with great fight scenes and plenty of sexy Frenchness. It's a much more down-to-earth version than the US versions over the decades, and they keep a lot of plot plates spinning in an easy-to-follow way. A bunch of the fight scenes are done with single camera shots, frantically following the action, and it really works.

Camille's brother from Call My Agent plays D'Artagnan, and he's incredibly likeable in the role. Vincent Cassel plays Athos and brings a lot to the role. Eva Green plays Milady and... I mean, Jesus Christ. There's never been more perfect (or sexy) casting.

It's French and subtitled, so it's on a frustratingly low number of screens, but if you can catch it, do. Perfect Saturday afternoon cinema. Deserves to be a much bigger hit.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan

I was considering going to see this but it was that or WALL-E, so there could only be one winner. If it sticks around into next week I might catch it but Polite Society comes out on Friday. There's too many films at the moment.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Also I note they actually have muskets which is nice.

As a child I had a little lead figure of a musketeer, and was confused because he had a musket, but no sword.

Pesky swashbucklingisms.

• Paid Members

Super Mario Bros Movie

Exactly what it should have been. Short, sweet and full of fun. Plenty of easter eggs for long time fans. Better than the Sonic films by a (Donkey Kong) country mile.

• Paid Members

Power Rangers The Movie 1995

I saw something Power Rangers related on Netflix and my childhood came flooding back to me, so had to give this a spin again for the first time in over 20 years. I’m saying this with my heart full of nostalgia and wearing my thick rose tinted glasses but this was pretty good fun! A solid 3 Ivan Oozes out of 5. 

As a kid we had the VHS of this, Matilda and Drop Dead Fred on heavy rotation. My Dad wasn’t a fan of the other two but didn’t mind Power Rangers. Now I’m his age when we were watching it back then I can see the appeal

Spoiler

5527AB9A-0B52-4225-AE80-63FCF1785538.thumb.webp.70ccb7e0bd6b578aa480bb4afc08263d.webp

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, waters44 said:

As a kid we had the VHS of this, Matilda and Drop Dead Fred on heavy rotation.

I used to rinse the VHS of this when I was a youngster too. Everytime I hear Shampoo's 'Trouble' it makes me feel incredibly nostalgic for the mid 90s.

35 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

65. I found this really disappointing. I'm a fan of Adam Driver and his performance is decent, some of the action scenes are enjoyable as are a couple of the jump scares but a film about dinosaurs vs a man with futuristic weaponry shouldn't be this tedious surely?

I thought this was incredibly dull too. I hardly ever turn movies off halfway through, but when they spent 20 minutes arsing about in a cave I came very close. So boring.

INHERENT VICE For some reason I had been thinking about this film a lot recently. Watched it again and then watched it again the very next night. I love it. First time I ever watched it I was slightly confused but the plot really isn't the point of it at all. I'm an unabashed PTA fanboy, but this often gets marked down as not one of his best. I was one of those. I was wrong. This is fucking beautiful.

14 hours ago, waters44 said:

I saw something Power Rangers related on Netflix and my childhood came flooding back to me, so had to give this a spin again for the first time in over 20 years. I’m saying this with my heart full of nostalgia and wearing my thick rose tinted glasses but this was pretty good fun! A solid 3 Ivan Oozes out of 5. 

As a kid we had the VHS of this, Matilda and Drop Dead Fred on heavy rotation. My Dad wasn’t a fan of the other two but didn’t mind Power Rangers. Now I’m his age when we were watching it back then I can see the appeal

Hide contents

5527AB9A-0B52-4225-AE80-63FCF1785538.thumb.webp.70ccb7e0bd6b578aa480bb4afc08263d.webp

Dulcea turned many a young boy into a man in that film, also Kimberley the Pink Ranger in hot pink jean shorts 😍