VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Just saw AliensĀ at my local odeon, showing for "alien day" or something. Was a real treat to see it on the big screen I tell you hwat. I was wondering which version it would be before it started - was the director's cut.

The hardest part of seeing an old film you haven't seen for ages is now being older than all the characters like 10 years younger than meĀ Paul Reiser.

• Paid Members

How to Blow Up a PipelineĀ (cinema)

Possibly the best film I've seen of the year so far. Superbly paced eco-thriller with an excellent young cast that makes its point by also being an exciting thriller outside its main issue. It's not perfect but it is vital

Return of the JediĀ (cinema)

Caught the 40th anniversary screening they're doing this weekend, so I've seen all the first three on the big screen now. They're good films imo.

WALL-EĀ (cinema)

Totally worth getting lost in the Trafford Centre both before and after seeing it for. Possibly my favourite Pixar now.

The BoxĀ (Sony Movies)

I mean, Donnie Darko wasn't *that* good in the first place so nobody should be surprised Richard Kelly turned out to be a hack. It's not as bad as I expected it to be but it's not good either. The music is especially terrible.

• Paid Members

Polite Society was an absolute blast. Probably the best British directorial debut Iā€™ve seen since Shaun of the Dead. Went in completely blind, not even seen a trailer but was great. Funny, great cast, a tad bloated in the last 1/3, but throughly enjoyable and canā€™t wait to see whatā€™s next.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Polite Society was an absolute blast. Probably the best British directorial debut Iā€™ve seen since Shaun of the Dead. Went in completely blind, not even seen a trailer but was great. Funny, great cast, a tad bloated in the last 1/3, but throughly enjoyable and canā€™t wait to see whatā€™s next.

Been looking forward to this for weeks, seeing it on Wednesday in a double-bill with Suzume. I'm even foregoing a Nando's to squeeze it in, that's anticipation.

• Paid Members

I didn't likeĀ infinity pool at all. Imaginative of David Cronenberg's son to make a "weird horror", must have been really hard for him to get it greenlit. Only thing I enjoyed was some of the gore and nudity and that wasn't even all that. Actually I liked Mia Goth, I've never seen her in anything and I can see what the fuss is about.

Genuinely enjoyed that mummies cartoon like 5 times as much.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Been looking forward to this for weeks, seeing it on Wednesday in a double-bill with Suzume. I'm even foregoing a Nando's to squeeze it in, that's anticipation.

I saw Suzume the other week. Thatā€™s a great girl power double bill you got going on.

• Paid Members
On 4/25/2023 at 9:23 AM, waters44 said:

Power Rangers The Movie 1995

I saw something Power Rangers related on Netflix and my childhood came flooding back to me, so had to give this a spin again for the first time in over 20 years. Iā€™m saying this with my heart full of nostalgia and wearing my thick rose tinted glasses but this was pretty good fun! A solid 3 Ivan Oozes out of 5.Ā 

Ā 

On 4/25/2023 at 10:12 AM, Lorne Malvo said:

I used to rinse the VHS of this when I was a youngster too. Everytime I hear Shampoo's 'Trouble' it makes me feel incredibly nostalgic for the mid 90s.

I thought this was incredibly dull too. I hardly ever turn movies off halfway through, but when they spent 20 minutes arsing about in a cave I came very close. So boring.

As an unashamed MMPR fan, I went to the cinema at the time and enjoyed it but it doesn't hold up as well as the best of the weekly show for me. Maybe its the bad CGI compared to models n costumes, the fact they morph "out of correct order" or various things that are a bit "off"... I dunno. If I were bitten by the nostalgia bug I'd be far more likely to go back and watch all five parts of Green With Evil.

On a slight tangent but I enjoyed the latest Power Rangers reboot a lot more than I should have. Thought the music was excellent and the cast too. Who doesn't want a giant Bryan Cranston head? I know it wasn't well received in general and I'm not quite sure why I like it but I do find myself watching it from time to time. But yeah even with that I'd be more likely to watch the older original stuff first. Can't beat that sense of nostalgia and memories of how difficult it was to get the toys.

While weā€™re keeping on the PR subject, the 30th anniversary episode/movie that Netflix released a couple of weeks back was every inch the nostalgia hit from having OG actors and voice actors, to the little nods to the emotional ending. Well worth a view if youā€™re an old school fan

• Paid Members

I rewatched the old Power Rangers movie a few years back - I had seen it in the cinema on release and loved it, and in my head I remembered it being quite a well plotted and mature take on the show, so was really looking forward to seeing it again. Without the benefit of nostalgia, I'd have hated it, it's just abject nonsense, but it's a fun romp when you put the rose-tinted goggles on.

I haven't watched the new one, but it felt like a bit of a benchmark for me in terms of what moviesĀ areĀ now, because a mate went to see it, and when I asked him if it was any good, he just rattled off all the ways it was "accurate" to the series, or all the references to the original series, rather than whether it was actually, y'know, aĀ good film. Reminiscent of whoever it was who wrote that George Lucas grew up reading adventure stories and watching 1950s sci-fi serials and westerns then went on to make Star Wars, whereas the filmmakers who grew up watching Star Wars just went on to make more Star Wars.

• Moderators

It's funny that has happened when films are so influenced by comic books these days, because all the best writers' comics I grew up reading all made an effort to tell their own stories, had their own take on what a character was about, and were never shy about just discarding things that didn't align with their vision.Ā 

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I haven't watched the new one, but it felt like a bit of a benchmark for me in terms of what moviesĀ areĀ now, because a mate went to see it, and when I asked him if it was any good, he just rattled off all the ways it was "accurate" to the series, or all the references to the original series, rather than whether it was actually, y'know, aĀ good film. Reminiscent of whoever it was who wrote that George Lucas grew up reading adventure stories and watching 1950s sci-fi serials and westerns then went on to make Star Wars, whereas the filmmakers who grew up watching Star Wars just went on to make more Star Wars.

And of course that same mentality often creeps through in wrestling as well.Ā