VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

I'm in two minds about critics' reviews of kids' films - I don't like the attitude of, "it's for kids, don't take it so seriously", or "if the kids like it, what else matters?", because most kids will watch any old tosh, but some of it can be actively harmful and some of it positive. 

I'm sure some kids love David Walliams' books, but they're spiteful, nasty, prejudiced shit, and I'd rather have someone who can tell me that rather than a review from a kid who enjoys everything uncritically. On the flipside, I don't want my reviews written by weird Disney adults with heads full of "fan theories" who bend over backwards to justify how the children's media they consume actually isn't just for kids but is surprisingly grown-up and sophisticated - no problem with enjoying kids' movies, just don't try and pretend that they're anything else.

The main problem with that Guardian review is shit, though; just a single paragraph lacking any insight. Their other (2 star) review is little better, but at least contains the more meaningful criticism that it's a film lacking the irony or self-awareness of the Lego Movie. Most Guardian reviews amount to little more than "this happened and then this happened and it was good/bad (delete as applicable)". 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'm in two minds about critics' reviews of kids' films - I don't like the attitude of, "it's for kids, don't take it so seriously", or "if the kids like it, what else matters?", because most kids will watch any old tosh, but some of it can be actively harmful and some of it positive. 

I'm sure some kids love David Walliams' books, but they're spiteful, nasty, prejudiced shit, and I'd rather have someone who can tell me that rather than a review from a kid who enjoys everything uncritically. On the flipside, I don't want my reviews written by weird Disney adults with heads full of "fan theories" who bend over backwards to justify how the children's media they consume actually isn't just for kids but is surprisingly grown-up and sophisticated - no problem with enjoying kids' movies, just don't try and pretend that they're anything else.

The main problem with that Guardian review is shit, though; just a single paragraph lacking any insight. Their other (2 star) review is little better, but at least contains the more meaningful criticism that it's a film lacking the irony or self-awareness of the Lego Movie. Most Guardian reviews amount to little more than "this happened and then this happened and it was good/bad (delete as applicable)". 

A great animated film, that’s marketed at kids, is able to cross multiple age groups. A friend of mine said Inside Out was shit because his 5 year old didn’t get it and he was bored. I can see why it won’t be entertaining for young kids, but that film was supposed to be a way of describing how your emotions need to work in balance and I think was a good introduction of a complex issue for kids. 

Similarly I know McDonalds pulled out of their Disney promotion because of Pixar films being increasingly harder to market happy meal toys for (Why don’t kids want toys of geriatric men and flying house?).

This is why I thought the Super Mario film worked. It introduced characters and stories to kids who may not be too familiar with Mario, without talking down to kids who have played various Mario games as well as references the adults will get from the 80’s. It had something for everyone. It’s also why some Pixar films work better and are more beloved than others. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

On the flipside, I don't want my reviews written by weird Disney adults with heads full of "fan theories" who bend over backwards to justify how the children's media they consume actually isn't just for kids but is surprisingly grown-up and sophisticated 

Ah yes, Doctor Who Syndrome. 

• Paid Members

There's nothing wrong with seeking higher standards from kids' films but that's not what that reviewer was really doing. I went to see the Mario film yesterday (it was ok) and the trailers beforehand included Trolls 3 and Across the Spider-Verse.

The first two Trolls films are exactly the sort of basic, instantly accessible, throwaway rubbish you can aim directly at kids to please them. I hate them but I know what they're for and they know their limitations. The original Into the Spider-Verse is exactly the sort of animated family film that we want to see all the time but simply can't get. Its animation and art is incredible, it's accessible to everyone, not just comic book fans, it's funny, exciting and a brilliant film.

We can have both and that's fine. That Guardian reviewer won't be happy until everything is as good as My Neighbour Totoro and The Lego Batman Movie, but that's unrealistic. It's just joyless criticism that resolves nothing.

• Paid Members

The Super Mario Bros. Movie (cinema)

Has prompted some of the worst movie discourse on Twitter that I've seen for quite some time but it's absolutely exactly what I expected and that's fine. Jack Black's Bowser is streets ahead of everyone else on the voicework front.

Inside (2023)

Art thief Willem Dafoe gets trapped in a luxury apartment and it starts to get messy. It's mostly what you'd expect but enjoyable with it and you get a few moments of humour. The last half an hour takes a dark and weird shift that's better than went before. Very good.

Grandma (Film 4)

Lily Tomlin swears at everyone while helping Julia Garner cobble together enough money for an abortion. Very funny and warm with an awesome cast and Judy Greer as Tomlin's girlfriend. Something for everyone.

They Came Together

So amazingly unfunny that I can't be sure it wasn't deliberately made this way. If so, a work of genius to take this cast and do that with it. If not, fucking shite.

Mechanic: Resurrection

We all love Jason Statham. And Michelle Yeoh and Jessica Alba. As with almost all Stath's films, way more fun than it has any right to be, and far better than its predecessor.

The Bourne Identity / Supremacy / Ultimatum

Binged them on my birthday on Wednesday and had a great time with them all. One of the greatest trilogies in movie history.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Regarding They Came Together

Ha, wow. I actually can't remember a thing about it, aside from the "hey.... thanks" extended bit, but I really liked this when it came out.

Wain/Showalter stuff can be very hit and miss though. I hated the first Hot Wet American Summer, but enjoyed the two mini series they put out years later. 

Edited by gmoney
Didn't quote properly for some reason.

• Paid Members

The Pope's Exorcist

like a nicolas cage film it being good or bad isn't really applicable. Russel Crowe elevates an identikit exorcism movie with a bit of fat marlon Brando wackiness. 

Russel's mode of transport is a vespa scooter, seeing him at his heaviest in full priest gear putting around on a little scooter is worth the price of admission. The scooter was Russel's idea.

Also he does a funny italian accent and Franco Nero is in it.

26 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

The Pope's Exorcist

like a nicolas cage film it being good or bad isn't really applicable. Russel Crowe elevates an identikit exorcism movie with a bit of fat marlon Brando wackiness. 

Russel's mode of transport is a vespa scooter, seeing him at his heaviest in full priest gear putting around on a little scooter is worth the price of admission. The scooter was Russel's idea.

This sounds absolutely amazing and I need to see it ASAP.

I love Crowe.

• Paid Members

I'm not going to see this at the cinema because of jumpscares but I'm looking forward to it at home in October when I watch several thousand horror films.

Just noticed it's by the same guy who did Overlord, and I loved that. One of the few really good war-horror crossovers.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

34 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

The Pope's Exorcist

You had me at “Fat.” The rest is all bonus. Fat Russell Crowe forever.

13 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

The Pope's Exorcist

You nearly had me with your Crowe on a Vespa description, but you definitely hooked me with Franco Nero, i.e. the most handsome man to ever exist, so I’ll definitely watch this at some point. 
Might even watch Django tonight, stupid sexy Nero

Cha Cha Real Smooth.

I really enjoyed this. Small narrative driven films are what I look for on streaming platforms and this fit the bill nicely. Cooper Raiff is pretty charismatic as a 22 year old embarking on the most depressing part of human life, the post college before you get your shit together phase. He stumbles in to becoming a a party starter at Bar Mitzvah’s and subsequently develops a friendship with Dakota Johnson and her daughter who is autistic. Very indie but not twee or Garden State-y. Worth a go on Apple TV and it has Robert from Everybody Loves Raymond in it.