VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Congo is super fun. I've been lied to, not just by everyone saying it was terrible, but also every bit of marketing I ever saw for it making it look like a trashy horror. I can't believe I've robbed myself of an adventure movie with apes, treasure, lasers and a volcano for 28 years, ffs. Tim Curry and Ernie Hudson know exactly what this is and are both wonderful at it. It's class.

I need one of these now!

il_1588xN.1473316226_iual.jpg

But it is terrible, in the best ways. I actually saw Congo at the cinema. One of the first 12 films I went to see at the cinema. I bought into the hype of it being from the creator of Jurassic Park, I wanted the toys even though I was too old for them. And Amy talking is something that often and for no reason, comes into my head at least a few times a year. Rarely on telly either, it just seems to have been a forgotten film from that period (and yes, Tim Curry is once again amazing).

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Congo is super fun. I've been lied to, not just by everyone saying it was terrible, but also every bit of marketing I ever saw for it making it look like a trashy horror. I can't believe I've robbed myself of an adventure movie with apes, treasure, lasers and a volcano for 28 years, ffs. Tim Curry and Ernie Hudson know exactly what this is and are both wonderful at it. It's class.

I need one of these now!

il_1588xN.1473316226_iual.jpg

It's absolutely ace. Did well at the box office too so I think we're well overdue a sequel.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But it is terrible, in the best ways. I actually saw Congo at the cinema. One of the first 12 films I went to see at the cinema. 

Not to derail the talk of how excellent Congo is, but this is an oddly specific metric. Why 12 films? Is it a significant number somehow? Am I missing something really obvious?

26 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Not to derail the talk of how excellent Congo is, but this is an oddly specific metric. Why 12 films? Is it a significant number somehow? Am I missing something really obvious?

12 age certificate. 

• Paid Members

I say it every time someone brings up Congo but it's one of my worst films ever. 

Spoilers: I only saw it once when it came out but from what I remember the "heroes" go to a hidden colony of badass gorillas to get some special diamond, kill all the gorillas then don't keep the diamond at the end anyway. Pretty shit for a young gorilla fan such as I was. Best gorilla film is Kong Skull island (although King Kong isn't really a gorilla, he's a monster that resembles a giant gorilla)

• Paid Members

Michael Crichton's stuff almost always translated well to the big screen. And he was a really enjoyable director himself - Westworld, Runaway and especially Coma are all great times. Looker and The First Great Train Robbery are fun too.

Freebie and the Bean - Going through and plugging a few gaps in films from the 70s I haven't seen. Had always heard about this one and so finally checked it out. It's a really insanely incorrect film to modern eyes...and yet I sort of absolutely loved it. Alan Arkin is always fucking great and James Caan does James Caan which is never a bad thing. It gets you to laugh at absolutely fucked up shit which is a skill in itself, and I'm not sure you're actually even supposed to like either of them. Definitely set the template for the buddy cop genre which was to come.

We Have A Ghost

Really nice take on the friendly ghost type film. Forum favourite David Harbour manages to convey so much emotion without saying anything. It’s about half an hour too long but still, a really lovely film. 

• Paid Members
On 12/20/2022 at 9:49 PM, FelatioLips said:

Wayne’s World

I dunno. Guess you had to be there? Not good.

Wayne's World must be the non-Bond or Star Wars film that I've seen the most and I've owned it on at least 4 physical formats.  However, I did first see it before my balls had dropped and we only had 4 television channels.

I doubt you're in a rush to see it, but Wayne's World 2 does have the timeless Del Preston yarn in it.

• Paid Members

Polite Society (cinema)

As is reported, a delight. Maybe slightly too derivative in its visual and graphical style to be as good as it could have been but it's such a laugh and the cast and director couldn't ask for a cooler platform than this. Very exciting.

Resident Evil (Netflix)

Stuck it on because it's one of those films, isn't it. Shit but entertaining enough.

The Witch in the Window

This is getting a lot of praise from the horror community but it's the same old shit. Nothing happens until the end and by then it's too late. There have been 78,000,000 of these released in the last 10 years.

Ninja III: The Domination (YouTube)

Starts with a blowdart fired into the barrel of a gun to make it blow up in someone's face and only gets better from that moment on.

Alphabet City (YouTube)

Largely forgotten 80s crime drama that deserves to be reappraised and rediscovered. Feels like an action film they didn't have the budget for so they tried a story and it actually paid off. Very good.

Eyes Wide Shut 

The thing about Kubrick is you could make a case for almost all his films to be his best and while this isn't my favourite of his, despite being a masterpiece, this could actually be it. Perfect in practically every way.

Under Siege 

You can scoff at this all you like, and you shouldn't because it's ace, but without it Andrew Davis wouldn't have made The Fugitive and then where would we be?

I think I'll do a proper round up at the end of May (ooooh, mark your calendars lads) but I just wanted everyone to know I've just watched a film called  Songbird where actual goddess Cobie Smulders gets off with Huw from Eastenders, so there is hope for us all lads. 

Keep going x