VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

Just passed 200 for the year so I thought I'd let you lucky, lucky people know about it. Here is the full 50 or so for those of you who are arsed.

Spoiler

153.) The Big Lebowski (8)
154.) Hannah And Her Sisters* (9)
155.) Saved!* (7)
156.) Murder Mystery 2* (6)
157.) Scarface (10)
158.) The Super Mario Bros Movie* (6)
159.) Outside In* (8)
160.) Good Posture* (8)
161.) Blue Velvet* (9)
162.) Anchorman (5)
163.) We're No Angels* (6)
164.) Back To The Future (11)
165.) Mr Poppers Penguins* (6)
166.) Back To The Future II (10)
167.) Back To The Future III (9)
168.) The Insider (9)
169.) Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (10)
170.) Nobody* (10)
171.) A Tourists Guide To Love* (6)
172.) Dazed & Confused (10)
173.) Serial Mom (8)
174.) Bowling For Columbine (9)
175.) Knocked Up (8)
176.) The 40 Year Old Virgin (7)
177.) Role Models (8)
178.) Rye Lane* (9)
179.) Hackers (7)
180.) Freaky* (8)
181.) Just Jim* (7)
182.) The Graduate* (9)
183.) Juno (9)
184.) Forgetting Sarah Marshall (8)
185.) Mermaids* (8)
186.) The Rules Of Attraction (6)
187.) Horrible Bosses* (7)
188.) Thirteen* (6)
189.) Diary Of A Wimpy Kid (7)
190.) Horrible Bosses 2* (4)
191.) Enigma* (5)
192.) Air* (7)
193.) Boston Strangler* (6)
194.) Romy & Michele's High School Reunion (8)
195.) Songbird* (7)
196.) Something Wild* (9)
197 ) Margot At The Wedding* (6)
198.) White Men Can't Jump (2023)* (6)
199.) Shaun Of The Dead (9)
200.) Colors* (9)
201.) Mr Roosevelt* (7)

Best first time watches include: Hannah And Her Sisters (his best film?), Outside In (a really lovely film. Anything with Edie Falco is great), Good Posture, Blue Velvet (what the actual fuck?????), Nobody, Rye Lane (will never listen to Terence Trent D'Arby the same ever again), The Graduate, Mermaids, Something Wild and Colors.

I also rewatched The Insider for the first time in about 20 years and its still great, and got to introduce my eldest to Eternal Sunshine and Juno which was lovely. 

Dazed & Confused cheers me up so much and I was surprised how much I enjoyed Serial Mom, a film my sisters and I would watch a lot when I was younger. Just great schlocky fun.

Watched some Judd Apatow films and they are still all pretty decent, Hackers was good if a bit crap if you know what I mean, Air was a good film if unremarkable, and the White Men Can't Jump remake was actually OK, and Jack Harlow was very, very good in it. If it didn't have the title it would be a more than serviceable basketball film. 

I was disappointed by We're No Angels given the cast and the fact it was a De Niro film I hadn't seen. Anchorman is still crap (Rudd and Carrell apart), Enigma was ITV3 bad, and Horrible Bosses 2 was awful (although there is one point in one of the films where Aniston is wearing nothing but a doctors jacket and BONK!) 

Here's to the next 200!

53 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Just passed 200 for the year so I thought I'd let you lucky, lucky people know about it. Here is the full 50 or so for those of you who are arsed.

Reveal hidden contents

155.) Saved!* (7)
157.) Scarface (10)
159.) Outside In* (8)
160.) Good Posture* (8)
161.) Blue Velvet* (9)
162.) Anchorman (5)
168.) The Insider (9)
170.) Nobody* (10)
173.) Serial Mom (8)
175.) Knocked Up (8)
177.) Role Models (8)
178.) Rye Lane* (9)
179.) Hackers (7)
180.) Freaky* (8)
181.) Just Jim* (7)
182.) The Graduate* (9)
183.) Juno (9)
185.) Mermaids* (8)
188.) Thirteen* (6)
191.) Enigma* (5)
192.) Air* (7)
195.) Songbird* (7)
200.) Colors* (9)
201.) Mr Roosevelt* (7)

Best first time watches include: Hannah And Her Sisters (his best film?), Outside In (a really lovely film. Anything with Edie Falco is great), Good Posture, Blue Velvet (what the actual fuck?????), Nobody, Rye Lane (will never listen to Terence Trent D'Arby the same ever again), The Graduate, Mermaids, Something Wild and Colors.

I also rewatched The Insider for the first time in about 20 years and its still great, and got to introduce my eldest to Eternal Sunshine and Juno which was lovely. 

Dazed & Confused cheers me up so much and I was surprised how much I enjoyed Serial Mom, a film my sisters and I would watch a lot when I was younger. Just great schlocky fun.

Watched some Judd Apatow films and they are still all pretty decent, Hackers was good if a bit crap if you know what I mean, Air was a good film if unremarkable, and the White Men Can't Jump remake was actually OK, and Jack Harlow was very, very good in it. If it didn't have the title it would be a more than serviceable basketball film. 

I was disappointed by We're No Angels given the cast and the fact it was a De Niro film I hadn't seen. Anchorman is still crap (Rudd and Carrell apart), Enigma was ITV3 bad, and Horrible Bosses 2 was awful (although there is one point in one of the films where Aniston is wearing nothing but a doctors jacket and BONK!) 

Here's to the next 200!

Blue Velvet is still amazingly intense. Lynch at his finest.

Hackers for me is a soft spot. It was total bollocks but fun even when it came out. It has an interesting cast though who a lot went on to much bigger things. Mark Kermode adores it. The soundtrack is absolutely killer. Open Up, Halycon On & On,, Voodoo People, Cowgirl, Protection. One of the few dance music soundtracks that totally nailed it.

41 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Blue Velvet is still amazingly intense. Lynch at his finest.

Hackers for me is a soft spot. It was total bollocks but fun even when it came out. It has an interesting cast though who a lot went on to much bigger things. Mark Kermode adores it. The soundtrack is absolutely killer. Open Up, Halycon On & On,, Voodoo People, Cowgirl, Protection. One of the few dance music soundtracks that totally nailed it.

I'd read a lot about Blue Velvet over the years but I was still shocked. Mad shit.

I really enjoyed Hackers when it came out and I did enjoy it, it was just a bit naff watching back that's all. I do love the 90s "jack in to the web dudes!!!" aesthetic of those types of films (your Hackers, your Nets) and the soundtrack is wicked. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Currently watching Hellraiser: Hellworld (or Hellraiser 8).

No, I don’t know why either

I've not watched past 3 but wasn't that one originally a stand alone slasher they tacked the hellraiser name and gimmick to really loosely to try and get a few extra dollars out of it?

21 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I've not watched past 3 but wasn't that one originally a stand alone slasher they tacked the hellraiser name and gimmick to really loosely to try and get a few extra dollars out of it?

The same can be applied to Hellraisers 5 through 7. The director of 5 insisted that wasn’t the case, but you just have to watch it to see that he’s full of bullshit.

Hellraiser: Revelations (or Hellraiser 9) was thrown together for under $300k purely so that Dimension Films didn’t lose the rights

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

watched a screening of Theatre of Blood, with a panel discussion involving Madeline Smith, Reece Shearsmith and the chair of the Vincent Price Legacy foundation. 

I've seen the movie plenty of times, and aside from a couple of bits that have aged pretty poorly, it's still tremendous. A witty, fun, gory horror comedy romp, and it being one of Shearsmith's favourite movies shouldn't have come as any surprise to me at all. Best part from him was the admission that the line, "we'll have no trouble here!" occurs about five minutes into the movie, and that's where he nicked it from.

• Paid Members
On 5/23/2023 at 6:28 PM, SuperBacon said:

Reveal hidden contents

155.) Saved!* (7)
157.) Scarface (10)
159.) Outside In* (8)
160.) Good Posture* (8)
161.) Blue Velvet* (9)
162.) Anchorman (5)
168.) The Insider (9)
170.) Nobody* (10)
173.) Serial Mom (8)
175.) Knocked Up (8)
177.) Role Models (8)
178.) Rye Lane* (9)
179.) Hackers (7)
180.) Freaky* (8)
181.) Just Jim* (7)
182.) The Graduate* (9)
183.) Juno (9)
185.) Mermaids* (8)
188.) Thirteen* (6)
191.) Enigma* (5)
192.) Air* (7)
195.) Songbird* (7)
200.) Colors* (9)
201.) Mr Roosevelt* (7)

Here's to the next 200!

You've been a busy man Bacon! Plenty of variety there. 

I watched Blue Velvet for the first time recently and absolutely hated it. Lynch is pure marmite I guess. 

The Graduate, The Insider and Colors are all very good like you say, The Insider being a particular favourite of mine. 

For some odd reason I've never seen Dazed and Confused. I'll have to change that, but it's never on TV. 

100% on board with your view of Anchorman. An truly awful movie. 

6 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

You've been a busy man Bacon! Plenty of variety there.

I always say "I'll watch any old shit" and to an extent that is correct, but I do like to mix it up. Comedies and 'silly' films for late at night when I can't be arsed to think.

I watched Blue Velvet for the first time recently and absolutely hated it. Lynch is pure marmite I guess. 

I haven't actually seen that many of his films, but I'm always impressed with the creativity. 

The Graduate, The Insider and Colors are all very good like you say, The Insider being a particular favourite of mine. 

I cannot believe I've never seen The Graduate before. Can see why it's so revered.

For some odd reason I've never seen Dazed and Confused. I'll have to change that, but it's never on TV. 

It never is, this was a dodgy stream job. Such a wonderful film. Being nostalgic for a film about nostalgia is a hell of a thing.

100% on board with your view of Anchorman. An truly awful movie. 

The fact that I'd seen it before and willingly sat through it again tells you all you need to know about how much I hate myself. Bit like Spurs every week :)

• Paid Members

After all but one of the Potter universe got added to Netflix, me and Mrs raid finally watched the first two of the Fantastic Beasts films then used an account credit offer to watch the third on Prime Video, over the last few days.

The first was pretty good. The second was an overblown, convoluted mess where there seemed so many distraction set pieces, so much forced pathos with multiple characters' tragic backstories, far too much bait and switch regarding a particular storyline element, and basically its all over the place. The third is markedly better but flawed. There are some common prequel problems in terms of the film having to out-do the previous films' for scale but take place in the same universe, plus stakes regarding protagonists that you already know survive (see Star Wars, X-Men etc) and there is a fairly blunt sense, especially at the end of the third, that you're watching a "chapter" rather than a story (MCU can be woeful for this) - that film ending in the way it did rather than something more climactic is a dreadful example of what happens when a studio banks on getting greenlit for more films. Which at present, they haven't, so it's all a bit of a wash out.

They also play very loose with the rules of who can do what in the universe, so its more like watching X-Men than extending the universe that the Potter films presented. Every fucker can teleport themselves anywhere whenever they want and there isn't a chimney in sight! Plus, the young Dumbledore/Grindelwald relationship and competing ideologies seems to borrow so strongly from Xavier vs Magneto, that, again, I felt like I was watching X-Men rather than a film about wizards. Kind of wish we'd stopped at the first.

• Paid Members

Babylon

I'm sure it's just La La Land set in the switch to talking pictures era with some gratuitous nudity...

😐

Its over 3 hours and you'll decide early on if you can stomach it (the content, not the run time).

I thought that it was a decent watch, but I can understand why it bombed financially as the intersection of people who will watch a 3 hour film about 1920s Hollywood and those that have an iron stomach probably wasn't going to cover the needed box office take.

17 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

I thought that it was a decent watch, but I can understand why it bombed financially as the intersection of people who will watch a 3 hour film about 1920s Hollywood and those that have an iron stomach probably wasn't going to cover the needed box office take.

It's a mess but there's some really good stuff in there. I admire that he took a huge swing.

• Paid Members

I hate to be that guy*, especially since the film is ages old, but...

On 5/29/2023 at 2:44 PM, air_raid said:

Potter

In rewatching Azkaban last night I realized something, and if you're somehow someone that might watch the Harry Potter films but has neither got round to them yet or read the books, stop reading now. I'm not spoiler tagging an ancient film but still...

Before they decide to travel back in time and change the past to free Black, they live through events that have already been changed by their time travel. They're hit by stones thrown by their future selves, Hermione is momentarily distracted by noises made by their future selves in the trees, Lupin runs off to investigate howling made by future Hermione. So, their future selves already came back, and yet when Harry wakes up, Black is still imprisoned, and they have to make the decision to go back. This messes with my (pre-End Game) understanding of how time travel works in fiction. Does this mean that in the first run of their experiences between the "execution" and making the decision to go back, they're living through a redundant timeline where they already went back and failed? Because otherwise it doesn't make sense that said other events (stones etc) were always (to steal a line) "will have going to have happened" but not Syrius being freed from his cell by future Harry & Hermione overnight. I can't reconcile in my brain that certain things are seen to have already been changed by their visit from the future, but not the primary thing they came back to fix.

* I'm fully aware that I am, and always will be that guy. It's a course of events I'm doomed to repeat forever. I've never seen one before, no one has, but I'm guessing it's a White Hole.