VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

2 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Anyone else seen Beau is afraid? I knew nothing going in, it's like a 3 hour unreliable narrator odyssey about an extremely anxious and neurotic guy but it felt more like 5 hours. Crazy film, I still don't know if I enjoyed it or even understood it all but I am thinking about it a fair bit.

I thought the first 90 minutes were brilliant, then it sort of lost its way. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it either but it certainly did leave me thinking. I think he could have trimmed it and had a tighter film, but fuck it, he went for it

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I thought the first 90 minutes were brilliant, then it sort of lost its way.

Spoiler

I know what you mean, I was pissing myself at the part where he propped his front door open cos he had to get from his house to the shop opposite to get water, then he saw all the weirdos from the street go into his house. I would happily have watched the whole film be like that with his skewed ultra scared awful version of reality. That was definitely the high point for me but like you said it was a wild ride and I was up for seeing it play out in ways no one could foresee.

I actually complain all the time about films being too long but it worked for me on this one, it felt like I had been in the cinema forever when I came out but it did feel like I just experienced something.Ā 

• Paid Members

Finally watched The Big Lebowski this weekend, mainly because I couldn't find anything else worth watching.

For some reason, I've actively avoided this film since it came out, and I've no idea why because Jeff Bridges, John Goodman and Steve Buscemi are all on my good list.Ā 

Courtesy of memes and T-shirt artwork, I knew half the script to this already, but still enjoyed the absurdity of it, and Goodman was fantastic.

• Paid Members

Saw Charlie Dayā€™s directorial debut/new film Foolā€™s ParadiseĀ was out, so thought Iā€™d watch it. Always Sunny fans will love the cameos. Charlie Day clearly thinks heā€™s making a modern day Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton film and completely misses the mark. Just not funny.

Recent watches.

Air Force OneĀ - Not as entertaining as Con Air, which is surely the best ā€˜set on a planeā€™ film ever made. Loads of familiar faces in this. William H Macy. Xander Berkeley. Dean Stockwell. Agent Pierce from 24. Gary Oldman is fantastically over the top and I love him.

Blade Runner 2049Ā - Visually stunning but left me cold, just like Dune. Prisoners remains his best film.

AftersunĀ (first watch) - The two leads were good, but all the praise I read about this afterwards made me think Iā€™d watched a different film. I was waiting for something, anything to happen.Ā 
CreedĀ (first watch) - Better than I was expecting. Lots of callbacks to the Rocky films, whilst establishing the new guy really well. But in a series that has given us Apollo Creed, Clubber Lang and Ivan Drago, the Scouse fella was utter shit.

Black AdamĀ (first watch) - As by the numbers as you can get. He spent years on this, poor sod. Only watched it a few weeks ago and Iā€™ve completely forgotten who the villain was.Ā 
Puss In Boots: The Last WishĀ (first watch) - An improvement on the first, a nice change in animation style. And a genuinely menacing bad guy. More please.

Fast And The Furious 1-5Ā - Theyā€™re all dumb but fun until The Rock shows up in 5 and everything becomes even more ridiculous. Is 5 the highpoint? Iā€™ll be watching 6 onwards soon enough.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Fast And The Furious 1-5Ā - Theyā€™re all dumb but fun until The Rock shows up in 5 and everything becomes even more ridiculous. Is 5 the highpoint? Iā€™ll be watching 6 onwards soon enough.

They get progressively dumber and stupider but I find they're all pretty fun (although I haven't seen Fast X yet). Hobbs & Shaw is the point where it just becomes a superhero franchise though, it's a ridiculous film.

I agree with your assessment of Blade Runner 2049 and Dune too. Both looked incredible but were completely joyless and I didn't care about anything that was happening.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

They get progressively dumber and stupider but I find they're all pretty fun (although I haven't seen Fast X yet). Hobbs & Shaw is the point where it just becomes a superhero franchise though, it's a ridiculous film.

I agree with your assessment of Blade Runner 2049 and Dune too. Both looked incredible but were completely joyless and I didn't care about anything that was happening.

I enjoyed X a lot more then 8, H&S or 9. I think they peaked at 7.

• Awards Moderator
On 6/6/2023 at 2:14 PM, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Anyone else seen Beau is afraid?

You know the topic "today I learned"?Ā 

I've been hearing podcasts talk about this film for a few weeks and suddenly reading your post I realise it's not Bowie's Afraid. Genuinely assumed it was some sort of homage to David Jones.Ā 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I've been hearing podcasts talk about this film for a few weeks and suddenly reading your post I realise it's not Bowie's Afraid. Genuinely assumed it was some sort of homage to David Jones.Ā 

Iā€™d happy sit through a 3 hour film of that instead of thisĀ 

2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

If he was alive, Bowie's Afraid would be one of those Panorama exposes about all his (alleged) wrongdoings.Ā 

They were all at it weren't they?

2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

The trailer looks decent:

Ā 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Saw Charlie Dayā€™s directorial debut/new film Foolā€™s ParadiseĀ was out, so thought Iā€™d watch it. Always Sunny fans will love the cameos. Charlie Day clearly thinks heā€™s making a modern day Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton film and completely misses the mark. Just not funny.

The most underwhelmed I've been with a film for quite some time. A waste of good cameos and is a 40min short stretched out. Just left me feeling 'meh' at times it felt like it didn't know what it was supposed to be.Ā 

10 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Recent watches.

Ā 

Black AdamĀ (first watch) - As by the numbers as you can get. He spent years on this, poor sod. Only watched it a few weeks ago and Iā€™ve completely forgotten who the villain was.Ā 
Ā 

His weird retcon that he had always loved this character and how it spoke to him for years as a person of colour was absolute bullshit and bordering on offensive (the fact that people have found tweets from the same time he did his announcement pitching other DC characters the same way just makes him look a bit of a dick in hindsight) . Such an odd choice to sink an entire franchise by trying to pitch a c level villain as an anti hero then refuse to acknowledge his main antogonist (who had a movie coming out the same year) just odd.Ā 

He signed on to do the movie. In 2014! 9 years and that's what they came up with.Ā 

At least his whole spiel about ā€œthe hierarchy of the DC universe is about to changeā€ came true. New people in charge, the previous films all made null and void by the Flash film, and Black Adam never to be seen again. Dwayne needs to have a word with big Daveā€™s agent and start picking better scripts.Ā