VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

I think it's a case of a bootstrap paradox. Much like the first Terminator film.

Basically you can't change the past, anytime you go back to try all you are doing is creating what we know to be the present. It happens because it always happened. 

In T1 the Terminator effectively creates itself as the technology only comes into existence because of the remains left after it is destroyed in the factory. 

• Paid Members

which is all well and good, and all time-fiction plays fast and loose with it, but in that Harry Potter film, in the "original" timeline they're affected by things they do when they later travel back in time, but the end goal of them travelling back in time hasn't happened. So their actions both do and don't impact the timeline, at the same time, depending on what's convenient for the plot at the time. It's almost as if it's a lazily plotted mess reliant on a series of deus ex machinae. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

deus ex machinae

Which is something else I forgot to criticize in my Fantastic Beasts posts. "Random old bloke saves the day" after vague mumblings about how long its been since he saw action etc. I'm sure that by the end that will never come, everything would tie nicely together and its the equivalent of never finding out who's patronus charm it was if the series was shitcanned after Azkaban, but I'll repeat - this is the danger of writing films with the arrogance of "and in the next film we'll explain it" when you don't know if the next film is happening or not.

And now I'm just pissed off that Transformers 4 and/or 5 did this but weren't the end of the series because those films were fucking terrible.

Time travel/time loops/alternate history stories are my favourite genre, but there is zero chance I'm overthinking it and I just accept whatever explanation they give me (if they give any at all) 

I will say @air_raid that's probaby the best one out of the series, and it is all downhill from there. Enjoy!

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, BomberPat said:

which is all well and good, and all time-fiction plays fast and loose with it, but in that Harry Potter film, in the "original" timeline they're affected by things they do when they later travel back in time, but the end goal of them travelling back in time hasn't happened. So their actions both do and don't impact the timeline, at the same time, depending on what's convenient for the plot at the time. It's almost as if it's a lazily plotted mess reliant on a series of deus ex machinae. 

I admit it's been a while since I either watched or read them, so I'll have to bow to your superior Potterness. 

I will say, however, that from my memory it did fit the bootstrap well. But considering how much of a mess her plot often are it's a low bar of sense.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I will say @air_raid that's probaby the best one out of the series, and it is all downhill from there. Enjoy!

I’m ashamed to say I probably enjoy the last one the most. As a wrestling fan I always enjoy payoff. Although my favourite bits of watching them are whenever General Hux shows up as a Weasley. Well, other than Helly Welly Belly Bonham Carter, obviously.

• Paid Members

My favourite time travel thing is in Lost when Locke gives a compass to his past self who then in the future passes it back to his past self therefore creating a perfect loop but also creating the wonderful headfuck of a paradox of where does the compass come from?

Is this a good time for me to try and sell you all on watching Dark again? Granted every twist is literally the same but as well as the timey wimey shit there’s also some sexy teenage incesty westy timey wimey shit.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Is this a good time for me to try and sell you all on watching Dark again? Granted every twist is literally the same but as well as the timey wimey shit there’s also some sexy teenage incesty westy timey wimey shit.

Dark is initially very intriguing but like you say, literally every twist is the same thing. On top of that it's all very dour and doesn't have any likeable characters. It kept me interested til midway through season 3 where I realized that the story was completely empty and pointless and I gave up. Waste of time.