VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

thereā€™s also some sexy teenage incesty westy timey wimey shit.

How much is some? Ā Asking for a friend.

• Paid Members
On 6/2/2023 at 11:33 AM, hallicks said:

TimeCop has the best execution of time travel in film/media/art/real life.Ā 

Rian Johnson would like to talk to you about Looper

5 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Is this a good time for me to try and sell you all on watching Dark again? Granted every twist is literally the same but as well as the timey wimey shit thereā€™s also some sexy teenage incesty westy timey wimey shit.

I almost thought you were talking about Butterfly Effect 3 then. Yes, I've watched all three of them. The director's cut of the first one is the best, as the second one is pretty much the first one again with a weaker cast.

• Paid Members

Not strictly time travel but thereā€™s a zero budget film called Timelapse that I rewatched recently. 3 people discover their neighbour has been taking photos of them through the window but the photos always show whatā€™s happening 24 hours in the future. The neighbour is dead because he tried to changed the future so they are stuck having to do whatever they see in the photos. Itā€™s a cool idea that feels like an Outer Limits episode.Ā 

• Paid Members

Sounds a bit like that TV show Early Edition where the guy would get the following day's newspaper posted to him every day.

There's a good one that used to be on Amazon Prime called The History Of Time Travel which is a cod documentary, the Americans and Russians keep trying to outdo each other by stealing time travel technology, and as they do the whole tone and style of the documentary keeps changing. It's only about an hour and a half, but it's really well done, especially on such a tiny budget.

You've got to pay for it now.

Time travel stuff is my weakness. I learnt a long time ago not to overthink it because there's so many interpretations of it and they all fall apart in their own ways. It's a massively entertaining thing if it's not overanalysed so I tend to take it as is.

Edited by DavidB6937

Canā€™t believe thereā€™s been all this talk of time travel/loops and @Devon MalcolmĀ hasnā€™t been in here to tell everyone to watch Triangle. One of the absolute best out there. Palm Springs is a great time loop comedy too with a satisfactory explanation/conclusion that doesnā€™t over do it.

It's not STRICTLY time travel, but I was quite impressed by the filmĀ Time Trap (2017). Ā  It takes an idea about time and space and runs with it big time. Ā I find myself still thinking back to it and pondering, which means it did a good job.

Edit: it's on Netlix atm I think.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Canā€™t believe thereā€™s been all this talk of time travel/loops and @Devon MalcolmĀ hasnā€™t been in here to tell everyone to watch Triangle. One of the absolute best out there. Palm Springs is a great time loop comedy too with a satisfactory explanation/conclusion that doesnā€™t over do it.

Yeah if I think of decent Time Travel movies then Palm Springs is up there, that film was a blast. Terminator as well, obviously.

• Paid Members

The Other FellowĀ - A documentary about people called James Bond sounds like it would be dry and dull, but it turns out to be incredibly entertaining. It's almost played like a thriller at times. Only 90 minutes too, well recommended.

The Blue CaftanĀ - A really well done intimate drama about a closeted Moroccan tailor and his wife. A little too slow-moving for my tastes at times but it snuck up on meĀ  and I found the last 20 minutes quite powerful.Ā 

HypnoticĀ - It's a fun Inception rip-off, but unlike that film it breezes by and doesn't take itself too seriously. The kind of B-movie picture we don't get enough of these days. But be warned, it is incredibly daft.

SisuĀ - An old war veteran goes John Wick on a load of Nazis. If you like blood-soaked gore, you'll enjoy this. I loved it and was laughing my arse off at points.

Book Club: The Next ChapterĀ - I actually enjoyed the first one of these when I caught it by accident on TV once (I think I've explained before that sugary, soapy films made for mums are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me). This is well shite though. The first one at least had characters going through struggles and things actually happening, whereas nothing really happens in this; its just an excuse for the cast to go on holiday. Crap.Ā 

• Paid Members

Anyone else seen Beau is afraid? I knew nothing going in, it's like a 3 hour unreliable narrator odyssey about an extremely anxious and neurotic guy but it felt more like 5 hours. Crazy film, I still don't know if I enjoyed it or even understood it all but I am thinking about it a fair bit.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Anyone else seen Beau is afraid? I knew nothing going in, it's like a 3 hour unreliable narrator odyssey about an extremely anxious and neurotic guy but it felt more like 5 hours. Crazy film, I still don't know if I enjoyed it or even understood it all but I am thinking about it a fair bit.

I didn't like it. Just felt like 3 hours of loads of random crap happening.Ā