VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

We confining this to action movies here? If not then Al Pacino's Serpico - The Godfather Part II - Dog Day Afternoon is a contender. 

I haven't seen Scarecrow, but if it's as the reviews seem to suggest, then that becomes a five movie run of The Godfather - Scarecrow - Serpico - Godfather Part II - Dog Day Afternoon. 

Big Al gets close again in 92/93 with Glengarry Glen Ross - Scent of a Woman - Carlito's Way. 

In 92/93 Clint has Unforgiven - In the Line of Fire - A Perfect World. Speaking of Unforgiven, Freeman has a nice run around that time himself of: Unforgiven - Shawshank Redemption - Outbreak - Seven

If we're only on action flicks? Forget I turned up. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

I saw Con Air in the cinema when it came out.  At the time the cinema chain was doing a national promotion - all tickets were a pound. 

My mate and I saw Con Air and 5th Element in the same day.  He was adamant 5th Element was the better film, I much preferred Con Air.

With a 25 year hindsight - who was right?

We watched Fifth Element last year and I think overall I preferred it. 

Saw National Treasure for the first time today. Thought it got off to a shaky start but it picked up steam as it went on. Nic Cage was a bit better in this apart from the moments where he stares right into Dr Chase’s face really close which were often and creepy.

Harvey Keitel and Sean Bean were the standouts.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Terminator, Commando, Predator?

Edit: having checked, they weren’t in succession 😞

Yeah Empire called it the McTiernan run after he did Predator, Die Hard and Hunt for Red October consecutively.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

If we're going directorial what about Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator 2, True Lies, Titanic? 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

If we're going directorial what about Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator 2, True Lies, Titanic? 

You sunk it right at the end there Jazzy. 

12 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It’s one of the reasons I struggle so much with the Avatar movies.  James Cameron is absolutely one of the best action directors of all time, but the quality of his films has decreased as the quality of the CGI has increased.

Forget the effects, the problems are to do with pacing primarily.  It makes you reassess their earlier oeuvre - perhaps the limitations of budget and CGI actually helped mask Cameron’s limitations as a director?

Compare with say Spielberg who has embraced modern effects but not lost the skills of making a good movie.  War Of The Worlds is an absolute cracker for example.

16 minutes ago, Loki said:

Forget the effects, the problems are to do with pacing primarily.  It makes you reassess their earlier oeuvre - perhaps the limitations of budget and CGI actually helped mask Cameron’s limitations as a director?

I’m not sure it’s his limitations, more that with the constraints of film as a distribution medium, and little to no CGI available, you have to be creative if you’ve got an intricate, visually demanding story to tell. 

Now he’s got the cachet and the technology to do whatever he wants, there’s no reason or anyone pushing for him to edit any of his creative vision. If the studio had said “make Avatar 2 under 140 minutes” and he had no choice but to do it, I’m sure it would have been a better film. Everyone benefits from a good creative scythe. TERF warning, but there was no need for HP books 4-7 to be as long as they were, she’d just gotten into a position (like Cameron) where she could do whatever she wanted. 

33 minutes ago, Loki said:

Compare with say Spielberg who has embraced modern effects but not lost the skills of making a good movie.  War Of The Worlds is an absolute cracker for example.

I reckon it's as simple as Spielberg wants to tell a variety of stories, and Cameron is content to make just Avatar films until he retires, which is fair enough.

I'm sure there are something stupid like 6 sequels planned. Cameron has always been a bit obsessive over his films.