VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

Pierce Brosnan in The Out-Laws has the worst accent I have ever heard, but there is a point where Devine says "It's meant to sound Scottish but it came out Irish" so maybe it's just a massive gag. If not, he got his own accent wrong which is amazing.

Anyway, dreadful film. Adam Devine is not a good looking man, and I know that's really unkind and I myself am no beauty and everyone is different and blah blah blah, but when you are pretending to be married to someone as good looking as Nina Dobrev, it just really jars. He really isn't funny either. 

I don't know why I watch films with him in them, but then I don't know why I watch a lot of the films I watch.

6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Adam Devine is not a good looking man, and I know that's really unkind and I myself am no beauty and everyone is different and blah blah blah, but when you are pretending to be married to someone as good looking as Nina Dobrev, it just really jars.

It’s not that much of a stretch, he’s punching so much with his actual wife Chloe Bridges.

I might be in the minority but I like the guy, I am a big fan of Workaholics and their podcast though. I find him funny, although I can definitely see why people might not like him.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, METAL ON METAL said:

It’s not that much of a stretch, he’s punching so much with his actual wife Chloe Bridges.

I might be in the minority but I like the guy, I am a big fan of Workaholics and their podcast though. I find him funny, although I can definitely see why people might not like him.

He's brilliant in The Righteous Gemstones and I liked him in the Pitch Perfect films. 

27 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Recently watched Air Force One which I've somehow never seen before and it was bloody ace. Proper film, that. I don't think there's much better than a good 90s action movie.

Absolutely superb.

6 minutes ago, gmoney said:

He's brilliant in The Righteous Gemstones and I liked him in the Pitch Perfect films. 

I really want to start that as lots on here rave about it, so I'm hoping this is what will make him click with me. 

Maybe I've just not seen anything good* with him in it, although I liked the Pitch Perfect films and can't remember him in them!

*Just remembered he is in The Intern, and I really like that film!

• Paid Members

I thought he was pitched perfectly in, err, Pitch Perfect because he was a smug twat and I think we were supposed to not like him.

I always think of him when I hear Electric Six singing about Adam Levine - maybe I've been pre-programmed to hate him.

• Paid Members

I finally watched the 2014 Godzilla on Amazon Prime. The bad monsters looked brutal, but the Godzilla looked awesome I love how we had to wait an hour or so to see him. The sequel is rent or buy, and I don't really want to skip it and go straight to Kong: Skull Island then Godzilla Vs Kong. 

On a somewhat related note loads of the Gamera movies are available on Prime both with and without MST3K. Gamera started out as "We can do a kaiju movie as well" from a rival studio after the original Godzilla was so well received at the Japanese box office, but it feels a lot more aimed towards the kids after the first one. He has a similarly outlandish rogue's gallery, the most memorable probably being Baragon, but none of them are on the same level as King Ghidorah or MechaGodzilla. It's a distant second fiddle to the Toho Godzilla series. It's TNA to Godzilla's WWE. 

• Paid Members

I have just spent the last couple of hours uploading my reviews to youtube, but I won't bore you with that, so instead, my quick thoughts on Oppenheimer and Barbie (the Barbenheimer / atomic blonde combo)

Oppenheimer is a subject i knew very little of. The Atomic Bomb wasn't something that we covered in history so i went in quite blind. Also, been very vocal on my disappointment of Christopher Nolan of recent times. However, despite the 3hr running time, and some pacing issues aside, I thought it was his best work, probably since Batman Begins. Cillian Murphy's face did a lot of the work here, you could just sense the dread in him. But everyone was great and can see him, Robert Downey Jr and Emily Blunt getting lots of attention come award season.

Spoiler

Plus Florence Pugh in one of the oddest sex scenes in quite some time

He cleverly places with what you see vs what you don't see and the actual testing of the bomb actually left me quite speechless. I walked out a bit haunted by the experience, but knowing I had enjoyed it. 9/10.

Barbie I saw with a cinema full of school kids. Despite that, the adults clearly had the best time in a film which maybe sold as a kids film but is anything but. Greta Gerwig takes the controversy surrounding Barbie and does a 180 with it and it is a very woman positive film with some great messages. Fair play for Mattel and Warners allowing her to make a film which both damages and revitalizes the brand at the same time. Lots of adult jokes, Margot Robbie is perfection, Ryan Gosling does another great comedy turn as Ken. The rest of the cast are great. The film is a hell of a lot of fun, but nearly everything we've seen in trailers happens in the first third of the film, which gave it a bit of a sluggish start for me, but only because I have seen them so often. Really great fun, but I would say not one that younger kids will enjoy as much as you'd think. 8.5/10. 

@jazzygeofferz I think King of the Monsters is a much better film then Godzilla. Not saying pay for it, but I am saying it is absolutely worth your time.

I’ve not seen Oppenheimer yet but hearing it’s better than his previous greatest work (The Prestige) has me hopeful. He’s a fantastic film maker is Nolan but sometimes you can see him getting lost in his head on screen and the film disappears up its arse (I’m looking at you Inception, Tenet I can’t even bare to be in the same room as you yet so fuck off).

For anyone looking for a bit more Oppenheimer you should definitely listen to Dan Carlin’s Destroyer of Worlds long form pod on the beginning of the nuclear age. There’s a lot of Oppenheimer in it but it’s basically about how humans are too technically advanced for our emotional capacities and we’re all gonna fuck ourselves.

Edited by Mr_Danger

4 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

For anyone looking for a bit more Oppenheimer you should definitely listen to Dan Carlin’s Destroyer of Worlds long form d on the beginning of the nuclear age. There’s a lot of Oppenheimer in it but it’s basically about how humans are too technically advanced for our emotional capacities and we’re all gonna fuck ourselves.

An excellent recommendation. I know that films employ historical experts for accuracy and I wonder if Carlin does some of this work? He had Hanks on his Extra pod so maybe some film work has popped his way? If not, it should.

Anyway, I'll watch both Barbie and Oppenheimer at some point but my lord I cannot wait for them to both fuck off out of existence for a while. What boring discourse there has been around them.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

What boring discourse there has been around them.

It was amusing in the build up. But has gone on far too long. 

Me and my girlfriend are doing the double bill on Tuesday. Oppenheimer first in the morning and the lightness of Barbie in the afternoon. 

46 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Me and my girlfriend are doing the double bill on Tuesday. Oppenheimer first in the morning and the lightness of Barbie in the afternoon. 

I suppose this is what I'm talking about, all this Atomic Blonde bollocks and Barbieheimer and all that. 

In what other circumstances would anyone choose to watch two films like that at the cinema on the same day? And this isn't a slight at you* at all and im not saying this is what you are doing, but it all feels a bit akin to "wackiness" and "forced fun" which I detest. Plus most of the memes or whatever just aren't funny and trying too hard, and it's EVERYWHERE. Like I say, I'll watch them at some point as I genuinely want to see them, but it's almost enough to turn people against them.

13yo is going to see Barbie this weekend with Mum, maybe I'll take 10yo to see Oppenheimer. I mean it does have Rodrick from the Diary Of A Wimpy Kid films in it.

Anyway, it's started raining down here so I'm off to shout at some clouds.

*Hounslow fam innit.