VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

To be fair, when we found out months ago they were out on the same day, my girlfriend said she’d only go to Oppenheimer if we went to Barbie after. We often do double bills as well. But it is enough to put you off if you’re on twitter and it’s all you see. 

I really don’t see the issue in the marketing/fanfair, it’s harmless fun from some people on the internet. What I will say though is the whole thing is a fantastic and so needed shot in the arm for cinemas right now, weeks after Empire shut down nearly all their locations and places still continue to struggle.

I went to see Oppenheimer at my local Cineworld yesterday morning for a 10:20am showing and not only was my screening sold out but the whole cinema was absolutely packed - something I’ve only ever really seen when there was an Avengers release. After my post-film piss, while waiting for the missus, the audience leaving after one of the screenings of Barbie came past me - it was like a stampede of pink-clothed chaos. Everyone seemed in a good mood from the film.

As for Oppenheimer itself, I thoroughly enjoyed it but I don’t know how much having a historical interest plays into that. Very, very good Nolan but I’m not sure I’d class it amongst his best as it suffers from pacing issues and timeline jumps weren’t clearly differentiated at times. My missus was starting to check out a little near the end, I can’t blame her as it’s 3 hours of almost sat down dialogue but just enough to hold your attention (anyone expecting tons of action and continuous explosions will be left disappointed). Overall I left the screening feeling overwhelmed yet somber.

Great performances by Cillian Murphy, Robert Downey Jr (he warrants the early Oscar buzz) and Emily Blunt - although I wish she was given just a little more to work with. Hidden gem for me was the performance of Josh Hartnett, that guy has aged well and transitioned fantastically to the second-act of his career.

The film is a very solid 8/10 for me.

• Paid Members

Like @METAL ON METAL has said above, it's great to see the cinema's get a much needed injection of life within the last four week period. With the release of Indy 5, MI:7, Oppenheimer and Barbie, we've had four blockbusters, something for everyone to get excited about and yet not a cape in sight. Lovely stuff. 

1 hour ago, METAL ON METAL said:

pacing issues and timeline jumps

So typical Nolan then.  I think I will give the film a miss, the subject matter and cast interest me but I have come to detest Nolan’s filmmaking style.

7 minutes ago, Loki said:

So typical Nolan then.  I think I will give the film a miss, the subject matter and cast interest me but I have come to detest Nolan’s filmmaking style.

Pretty much. Definitely style over substance a lot of the time.

One of my biggest gripes with the ’untouchable’ directors like Nolan, Scorsese, Spielberg and Villeneuve is they’re above having anyone rein them in and often end up having their films being 45 mins-1+hour too long for no good reason. I’ll give Ridley Scott a pass though, he usually gets it right. There’s definitely a far superior 2 hour cut of Oppenheimer that could’ve been released instead.

Totally different genre and kind of film entirely but seeing MI7 the other day (which is a similar length) just absolutely flew by for me, at no point did I think it was dragging or unnecessary. Also, I would equally just happily take a 3 hour Pom Klementieff cut on repeat.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, METAL ON METAL said:

There’s definitely a far superior 2 hour cut of Oppenheimer that could’ve been released instead.

Probably, like Topher Grace's 85 minute edit of the Star Wars Prequel trilogy, or his 5 minute cut of the whole saga.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I suppose this is what I'm talking about, all this Atomic Blonde bollocks and Barbieheimer and all that. 

In what other circumstances would anyone choose to watch two films like that at the cinema on the same day? And this isn't a slight at you* at all and im not saying this is what you are doing, but it all feels a bit akin to "wackiness" and "forced fun" which I detest. Plus most of the memes or whatever just aren't funny and trying too hard, and it's EVERYWHERE. Like I say, I'll watch them at some point as I genuinely want to see them, but it's almost enough to turn people against them.

13yo is going to see Barbie this weekend with Mum, maybe I'll take 10yo to see Oppenheimer. I mean it does have Rodrick from the Diary Of A Wimpy Kid films in it.

Anyway, it's started raining down here so I'm off to shout at some clouds.

*Hounslow fam innit.

Or maybe, Hear me out, maybe people just like to have some fun and something to look forward to? My cinema was heaving yesterday, wife is going tomorrow for a girls screening with my daughter and mother in law and 3 afternoon screenings were sold out for Barbie. That’s insane!

Anyway just because Houchen took some time off didn’t mean we needed a miserable fun sponge to continue his gimmick on here. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Anything that has more people excited for cinema in general is something I will fully support.

100%. I go to the cinema pretty much weekly. It’s the only cinema within about 10 miles, 20 to the next big cineplex. Even on a big release the cinema has been less than half as I used to see. Only exceptions was the last Tom Holland Spuder-man, Avatars opening day and Guardians 3. Even films this year expected to be big releases like Fast X have been really empty. Seeing people in pink, dressing up as Ken and Barbie and wearing Etsy BarbieHeimer or similar t-shirts was great. Noticed a few people booked the same screenings as me yesterday which was funny. But to see sold out screenings of both films is so good to see. It’s a shame it will probably be the last time for a while what with the strikes happening.

I'd definitely go more if I could but a combination of kids and family stuff etc means my cinema time is definitely limited. I love the cinema experience. Just everything about it really. And while I understand the ease of streaming etc I do think there's an element of magic lost by not going and sitting down in front of a massive screen and being completely lost in the sound and the visuals. It's just more exciting and makes films feel more special rather than just watching them at home like TV.