VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

22 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

On the topic of film length these days, intermissions would get me more excited for the cinema.. 

No idea why they don't. Theatre's wouldn't expect you to sit through a 3+ hour show without a break, so no idea why cinema's do.

Bloody hell, even football has a half time Chest! You'd love it.

• Moderators

Half time at football is a nightmare. Everyone rushes for a piss and a pint at the same time. I much prefer the pace of going to an nfl game where I can nip to the bar when it's 4th down and the punting unit comes out and I can be back in my seat without missing anything.

I'm now rethinking my intermission idea. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

On the topic of film length these days, intermissions would get me more excited for the cinema.. 

thankfully only 2 or 3 releases a year seem to go past the 2hr 30 mark, but for those films I’d certainly like to see that brought back. My dad told me it was common in the 60e and 70s that films had one. Even told me where it was in the original Star Wars.

3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

They still do it in certain places in America. I remember going to see Batman v Superman when I was in DC/Virginia several years back and I was so happy that they had about a 10 minute intermission during it. The joy was short lived when I realised I’d have to go back in and watch the second half of that film.

• Awards Moderator
23 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I think the only thing that annoys me about the cinema is the adverts at the beginning. They feel longer but that might have been the Covid break and watching them without at home. I love movie trailers but not the other crap.

We normally try to arrive at the cinema about 15 minutes after the showtime on the tickets, means we miss most of the adverts and get sat down just as the trailers start.

We are doing a double feature today. Wanted to see both films, my wife and I rarely get a day off together, so making the most of it. We have done double features before - Logan and Trainspotting 2 kind of worked together, The Expendables 2 and Pixar’s Brave less so (but was more fun).

51 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I think the only thing that annoys me about the cinema is the adverts at the beginning. They feel longer but that might have been the Covid break and watching them without at home. I love movie trailers but not the other crap.

The only good thing about them was when the kids were too young to know any better, they thought the bloke that announced "ooooh, hello, about time to start the film soon....better put your phone away and be quiet, is that OK?" etc before the trailers/film was personally talking to them and therefore would be good as gold in the cinema 🤣

10 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Half time at football is a nightmare. Everyone rushes for a piss and a pint at the same time. I much prefer the pace of going to an nfl game where I can nip to the bar when it's 4th down and the punting unit comes out and I can be back in my seat without missing anything.

I'm now rethinking my intermission idea. 

As a man whose bladder is at least twice my age I’m well up for quarter intermissions. 

• Paid Members
On 7/22/2023 at 10:54 AM, SuperBacon said:

maybe I'll take 10yo to see Oppenheimer

It's a 15 certificate.

Saw it in IMAX today, some truly bowel rumbling scenes.  If you know the story well, or have listened to things like "The Bomb" podcast, obviously some of the intrigue is removed.

e,g, when historical figure appears

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

3 odd hours flew buy.  A real corker.

And (MASSIVE SPOILER) :-

Spoiler

Florence Pugh guiding the tip in while Cillian Murphy read out "I am become death..." was really bizarre.  Had I been watching it at home I would have had to rewind it to make sure that it actually happened.