VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

53 minutes ago, gmoney said:

John Cazale - The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather Part II, Dog Day Afternoon, The Deer Hunter.

Then he died. Only films he ever did. A perfect record. 

All five were also nominated for Best  Picture at the Oscars. Both Godfathers & Deer Hunter won

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Then just runs out of steam with Mosquito Coast.

I hold the film far closer to my heart than the Apple+ series of the same name, but yes I agree it's not quite in the same league.  The Mosquito Coast  was in my taped off TV collection when I used to go through the Radio Times at Christmas and choose what I would fill a newly purchased multipack of E180 tapes with.  I'd go for the highbrow late night BBC2 screenings like the sophisticated young gent I was.  Kids these days etc etc.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Just watched Face/Off for the first time.

It’s stupid and makes no sense. Plot holes start to finish. Absolutely unbelievable nonsense.

10/10.

It is a cracking romp. 

• Paid Members

Going back to that great runs conversation, let's not forget John Carpenter.

Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, The Fog, Escape from New York, The Thing, Christine, Starman, Big Trouble in Little China and They Live.

Obviously, mileage varies on some of those (Christine is solid rather than great and I've never seen Starman, but know some people love it), but that's a hell of a run either way.

I’ve found a Word document on an old laptop that I haven’t used for nearly 15 years. It’s a list of films I’d watched and rated out of 10. It’s interesting to see how my tastes have changed a little over time. Down at the bottom of the list, scoring an incredibly harsh 1 out of 10, sits The Wicker Man (original, not even the Nic Cage bees version), The Blair Witch Project, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Metropolis, Godzilla (again, the original and not the 98’ one) and Manhattan. I must have been having a bad day when I gave them those scores. 

At the other end of the scale, somehow getting a 9 or even 10 out of 10, we have Zach Braff starring Garden State. I mean, I like the film, but holy crap. Independence Day and Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story both had a 9, but I stand by it. 

The majority of the 9s and 10s are films I’ve seen time and time again. But there are a few I’ve only seen once and I wonder if I’d give them those high scores on a second viewing. Apocalypto, Secretary, Cinderella Man, Paris Je T’aime (no idea what this even is), Matchstick Men, Ray and Friday Night Lights are ones I remember very little about. 

At the very least, I have a lot of new Letterboxd entries.

Edited by Dr. Alan Grant

I always loved Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, despite it taking many liberties with fact. 

Still maintain it’s a great shame that Jason Scott Lee didn’t go on to have a massive career, bloke oozed charisma and coolness. Always like it when he pops up in things, needless to say he was the highlight of Balls of Fury…

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Going back to that great runs conversation, let's not forget John Carpenter.

Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, The Fog, Escape from New York, The Thing, Christine, Starman, Big Trouble in Little China and They Live.

Obviously, mileage varies on some of those (Christine is solid rather than great and I've never seen Starman, but know some people love it), but that's a hell of a run either way.

That first five is definitely a shout for the best streak ever.   And they’ve all them remade at least once which is some indication of their cultural impact.

Edit: I’m going to get stick for this, but Escape from LA is basically a remake!

Edited by Loki

Recent watches.
A League Of Their Own - I love it. Loved it as a kid. Still love it now. Geena Davis is divine, Jon Lovitz pretty much runs away with the film. The whole cast are great. Even Madonna. 5/5

Full Metal Jacket - first half is well remembered, but the second has the best “not a real Baldwin” Baldwin in it. Probably my favourite Kubrick film. 5/5

Avatar: The Way Of Water (first watch) - 45 minutes too long. It looks fantastic, but none of the characters are particularly interesting. 3/5

The Whale (first watch) - I can see where all the fuss around Brendan’s big comeback came from. Both him and Sadie Sink were incredible. 4/5

Ocean’s Eleven - cool. 4/5

Ocean’s Twelve - not cool. 2/5

The Exorcist - still a powerful watch no matter how many times I’ve seen it. Flawless. 5/5

John Wick - needed more John Leguizamo. 4/5

The Northman (first watch) - after seeing all three of Robert Eggers’ films, I have no desire to watch them again. I can’t even put my finger on why. They’re interesting and they look superb, but they’re all…bleak and exhausting. 3/5

Edited by Dr. Alan Grant

• Paid Members

Reality - A very effective, strange little film about Reality Winner who was jailed for leaking government information in 2018. All of the dialogue is taken from the real-life transcripts of the arrest, which gives it an awkward unsettling feeling all the way through. Syndey Sweeney is great.

Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse - A very rare case of a superhero film starting off good and getting better as it goes on. By the end I was absolutely gutted that it had finished and we have to wait another year for part 3. Just a joyous delight which still manages to pack an emotional punch.

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret - This is just a lovely funny film. I do think it suffers in its pacing towards the end and some scenes lack the emotional heft due to time constraints that were presumably explored more in the novel, but these are minor criticisms. Much recommended.

Fast X - Another fun romp. These films are basically Saturday morning cartoons at this point, there's no point trying to over-analyse them. Just turn your brain off and let the stupidness wash over you. I wasn't as much a fan of Jason Mamoa's character as most seem to be, and John Cena is pretty bad (he's not the same character at all), but it also features Vin Diesel racing a bomb towards the Vatican and Alan Ritchson and Brie Larson fit into proceedings nicely. Basically, if you like the franchise you'll like this and if you don't you'll hate it.

Extraction 2 - It's got one excellent 20+ minute action scene towards the start but other than that, I found it to be pretty bland. A lot of these direct to Netflix/Amazon films just blend into one another now. Worth checking out that early action scene though.

Pretty Red Dress - I loved this. A story about a man recently released from prison who buys his aspiring actress/singer girlfriend a red dress, and the effect it has on both of them and their daughters lives. I don't really want to say more than that as it's a film that I think benefits going in knowing as little as possible. The central trio are all fantastic, including Alexandra Burke from off of the X Factor. One of my films of the year so far.

Beau Is Afraid - It's indescribable, really. I expected to hate this, in the vein of I'm Thinking Of Ending Things and mother! But while I didn't love it, it definitely wasn't the slog I expected. The first hour is one of the most effective terrifying examples of anxiety I can remember seeing on film, and while the film gets weaker the weirder it gets, it always kept my attention. I've no idea what it was about other than vague themes of guilt and anxiety, and I don't think it's funny at all, but it's definitely worth seeing at least once.

1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse - A very rare case of a superhero film starting off good and getting better as it goes on. By the end I was absolutely gutted that it had finished and we have to wait another year for part 3. Just a joyous delight which still manages to pack an emotional punch.

Imagine a superhero film that actually has stakes that you’re invested in! I felt exactly the same by the end. Actually came out wanting to watch it again straight away and that never happens.