VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

We had an independent video shop near mine as a kid. Not sure how it started but they had Police Academy, 2, 3, 6 & Mission to Moscow in and I used to rent them. The first film was a 15 rating so my dad would have to rent that, a lot. Must have just looked like a big fan.

Because they didn't have the fourth of fifth films in, I never saw them till years later. Because Steve Guttenberg wasn't in the later ones but I never saw his character leave, I assumed as a cop he died or something. Despite it being screwball comedy movies. Weird kid.

Long rambling cut short, I binged watched them all yesterday afternoon and it was a lovely big hit of nostalgia. Last film is still utterly woeful mind. Are they well loved round these parts or are the children wrong?

Code: Police Academy, 4, 6, 2, 3, 5, Moscow.

Edited by Chili

5 hours ago, gmoney said:

I know my Mum agrees with 'Lips. When we rented this when it was out, she tapped out half way through citing Cage's "stupid bloody accent". I loved it then, as I do now. John Cusack is the weak link in it, if you ask me. 

Yeah, Cusack didn’t get the memo about it being over the top, and tries to look cool in shades rather than chewing the scenery and eyeballing a lizard.

Back to the theatre Sir Gielgud.

I saw Con Air in the cinema when it came out.  At the time the cinema chain was doing a national promotion - all tickets were a pound. 

My mate and I saw Con Air and 5th Element in the same day.  He was adamant 5th Element was the better film, I much preferred Con Air.

With a 25 year hindsight - who was right?

4 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

Can I still watch and enjoy The Sixth Sense even though I know the twist?

I am pretty certain I have always known the twist (someone told me or I read it)

I watched it not long ago and quite enjoyed it. Mad how it can be the same bloke who made the utterly dreadful Old. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Name me a better run than The Rock, Con Air and Face/Off.

I cannae change the laws of physics.

7 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

Can I still watch and enjoy The Sixth Sense even though I know the twist?

I would say just about.  You can do a DiCaprio point at the screen every time it's foreshadowed for extra fun.

15 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

5th Element still leaves me a bit cold. It’s a good film and all but it doesn’t grab my balls like a slow motion Nicky Coppola hair swish. Name me a better run than The Rock, Con Air and Face/Off.

Terminator, Commando, Predator?

Edit: having checked, they weren’t in succession 😞

Edited by Loki