WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

I don't see the point in playing games if I don't care about what's happening or what's going on. Despite how great the mechanics or gameplay may be. 

TLOU is a great example of this. Pretty basic gameplay, and quite dumb at times. But absolutely compelling, and wanting to know what happens next made you want to play more. 

I'm certainly a story/characters/dialogue first, gameplay second person but it really depends on the game and genre. I've not long finished Innocence: A Plague Tale and it was outstanding, a gorgeously crafted linear experience with possibly the best voice acting I've heard in a game. The gameplay? Ehh... not great, especially when they get a little too ambitious near the end but I still adored the game.

43 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Rise of Tomb Raider beats Uncharted 1-3 in terms of gameplay easily for me as well. Better combat, better action set pieces, better climbing and puzzling. The writing and acting is better in Uncharted, sure, but they are games not movies. 

I don’t but in to the line ‘games not movies’. Games are anything. From two rectangles and a ball to a barely interactive walking story book. For me it’s about balance. Broken record that I am but God of War probably strikes the best balance of both. Uncharted is weak on gameplay but other than TLOU2 I don’t think Naughty Dog have ever got that balance right. Their games (from Uncharted onwards) have always been elevated by strong story and thrilling set pieces first and gameplay mechanics second.

• Moderators

I don't think I was really clear. What I meant was that you can't only go on the story. I think Uncharted is better at that, but Rise did too many other things better and there was enough going on in the story to keep me interested even if the acting wasn't great.

And one thing about it that I can't stress enough was how good the action set pieces were. I haven't seen it repeated again in another game since even. No quick time events or alternative controls at all during them - and yet they feel so brilliantly cinematic just through use of camera work, the moving environment and the actual game controls. It actually spoiled a few otherwise very good games that I played after it. That in itself is such a brilliant merging of storytelling and gameplay - it totally blew me away.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Nathan Drake's never been a draw for me as a franchise lead, and Tomb Raider's still a massive nostalgic pull, so yeah the Tomb Raider trilogy all the way for me. The original trilogy, obviously. Tomb Raider II was one of the kings of my childhood, and Venice is still one of the coolest levels in any game ever. I just love the way the whole thing works. Flicking trapdoors, picking up flairs, blasting dachshunds and Italian meatheads before hopping into the speedboat and blasting through the gates at the end. 

I remember collecting Lucozade bottles as a kid to send away for a Lara Croft beach towel. She was huge. 

• Paid Members

Donut County is a lot of fun. Some nice funny writing as well. I got some Nintendo vouchers so picked it up along with Pure Pool for some portable stickball, and the Pokémon season pass so I can go and grab me a Psyduck. 

I completed Uncharted 4 this morning and I can easily say it is one of the best games I've ever played I was completely immersed. I started the lost legacy this morning but only played it for around 30 mins just to get a feel for it. I will get properly stuck in later on but yeah also with the game modifications and add on section after you have completed the game I think it could really give that extra go back and replay element to it.

21 minutes ago, BigJag said:

This one?

That's the boy. I thought I was king of the world in Praia da Rocha in 2001 on our family holiday with my Lara Croft towel and People=Shit black t-shirt on the beach. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

An VR recommendations? I got the Oculus Quest 2 so anything on the Oculus or Steam store would work - been playing Star Wars Squadrons and Beat Saber/Moon Rider recently all a lot of fun but any hidden gems to recommend?

Pixel Ripped 1989 is a really fun little game. You play as a student in a classroom trying to play on a gameboy type device without the teacher seeing you, and loads of mad shit happens. It's a lot of fun. One of my best mates helped create it, so there is a wiff of nepotism about my recommendation, but it's honestly a lot of fun. There's a sequel (Pixel Ripped 1995) out as well now that she didn't work on which is also supposed to be very good.