Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I don't see the point in playing games if I don't care about what's happening or what's going on. Despite how great the mechanics or gameplay may be. 

TLOU is a great example of this. Pretty basic gameplay, and quite dumb at times. But absolutely compelling, and wanting to know what happens next made you want to play more. 

Posted

I'm certainly a story/characters/dialogue first, gameplay second person but it really depends on the game and genre. I've not long finished Innocence: A Plague Tale and it was outstanding, a gorgeously crafted linear experience with possibly the best voice acting I've heard in a game. The gameplay? Ehh... not great, especially when they get a little too ambitious near the end but I still adored the game.

Posted
43 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Rise of Tomb Raider beats Uncharted 1-3 in terms of gameplay easily for me as well. Better combat, better action set pieces, better climbing and puzzling. The writing and acting is better in Uncharted, sure, but they are games not movies. 

I don’t but in to the line ‘games not movies’. Games are anything. From two rectangles and a ball to a barely interactive walking story book. For me it’s about balance. Broken record that I am but God of War probably strikes the best balance of both. Uncharted is weak on gameplay but other than TLOU2 I don’t think Naughty Dog have ever got that balance right. Their games (from Uncharted onwards) have always been elevated by strong story and thrilling set pieces first and gameplay mechanics second.

  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

I don't think I was really clear. What I meant was that you can't only go on the story. I think Uncharted is better at that, but Rise did too many other things better and there was enough going on in the story to keep me interested even if the acting wasn't great.

And one thing about it that I can't stress enough was how good the action set pieces were. I haven't seen it repeated again in another game since even. No quick time events or alternative controls at all during them - and yet they feel so brilliantly cinematic just through use of camera work, the moving environment and the actual game controls. It actually spoiled a few otherwise very good games that I played after it. That in itself is such a brilliant merging of storytelling and gameplay - it totally blew me away.

Edited by Chest Rockwell
Posted

Nathan Drake's never been a draw for me as a franchise lead, and Tomb Raider's still a massive nostalgic pull, so yeah the Tomb Raider trilogy all the way for me. The original trilogy, obviously. Tomb Raider II was one of the kings of my childhood, and Venice is still one of the coolest levels in any game ever. I just love the way the whole thing works. Flicking trapdoors, picking up flairs, blasting dachshunds and Italian meatheads before hopping into the speedboat and blasting through the gates at the end. 

I remember collecting Lucozade bottles as a kid to send away for a Lara Croft beach towel. She was huge. 

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Donut County is a lot of fun. Some nice funny writing as well. I got some Nintendo vouchers so picked it up along with Pure Pool for some portable stickball, and the Pokémon season pass so I can go and grab me a Psyduck. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
4 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Some nice funny writing as well.

Yes, really enjoyed the dialogue in that game. BK is a little prick yet at the same time I can't help but warm to him. 

Posted

Grindstone on Switch is a superb little puzzle game, if you’re in the market for one. It is/was at a discounted price on the eshop and I can’t recommend it enough, it’s one of the best games I’ve played this year.

Posted

I completed Uncharted 4 this morning and I can easily say it is one of the best games I've ever played I was completely immersed. I started the lost legacy this morning but only played it for around 30 mins just to get a feel for it. I will get properly stuck in later on but yeah also with the game modifications and add on section after you have completed the game I think it could really give that extra go back and replay element to it.

  • Paid Members
Posted
4 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I remember collecting Lucozade bottles as a kid to send away for a Lara Croft beach towel. She was huge. 

This one?

rare-tomb-raider-beach-towel-1999-0riginal.jpg.3d0e60cc265aeca02d2d1598f31a45d7.jpg

Posted
21 minutes ago, BigJag said:

This one?

That's the boy. I thought I was king of the world in Praia da Rocha in 2001 on our family holiday with my Lara Croft towel and People=Shit black t-shirt on the beach. 

Posted

An VR recommendations? I got the Oculus Quest 2 so anything on the Oculus or Steam store would work - been playing Star Wars Squadrons and Beat Saber/Moon Rider recently all a lot of fun but any hidden gems to recommend?

  • Paid Members
Posted
9 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

An VR recommendations? I got the Oculus Quest 2 so anything on the Oculus or Steam store would work - been playing Star Wars Squadrons and Beat Saber/Moon Rider recently all a lot of fun but any hidden gems to recommend?

Pixel Ripped 1989 is a really fun little game. You play as a student in a classroom trying to play on a gameboy type device without the teacher seeing you, and loads of mad shit happens. It's a lot of fun. One of my best mates helped create it, so there is a wiff of nepotism about my recommendation, but it's honestly a lot of fun. There's a sequel (Pixel Ripped 1995) out as well now that she didn't work on which is also supposed to be very good.  

  • Paid Members
Posted

I just finished Miles Morales. 

Great follow up the the first game and kicks in right where the last left off. A bit harsh to be charging full price when the city and game engine are the same as the first one. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...