WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Been sinking a load of time into Kingdom Come: Deliverance, which is hit and miss. It's got a fantastic storyline, setting and brilliant dialogue options, but the combat is dog shit and unfair. I understand the concept of you starting weak and slowly getting better, but the fact is that if you ever end up in a 2 on 1 situation you will lose and the save system is so poor that you can lose an hour of progress if you're riding your horse and get ambushed. Quite frustrating.

I'm unbelievably excited for Hitman 3 to be released next Wednesday. Apparently it has way more levels than any of the previous games and they are making the 3rd game integrated into 1 big platform bringing all the levels from the last 2 releases onto the 3rd. Remastered and tweeked so this will be the biggest yet with the most replay ability (And that's saying something) However it's not all good news as apparently this is the last Hitman game in the franchise as the developers will be working on another big game for the foreseeable.

40 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Yeah, I started out loving that game, it's really immersive and interesting, but the longer I played it the less enthused I became because it's a bit of a pain in the arse. Seemed to be a fair few bugs with missions as well. 

Me too, I got to a point where I wasn't sure whether or not I liked the game, but I kept playing it regardless. I eventually gave up, but I still don't know what I actually thought of the whole experience. 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Me too, I got to a point where I wasn't sure whether or not I liked the game, but I kept playing it regardless. I eventually gave up, but I still don't know what I actually thought of the whole experience. 

I feel like the more I play, the less immersive it's becoming. Doing an hour of side quests that don't autosave and in the middle of one being ambushed and killed is brutal, and having manual saves rationed by potions is even worse. An example of a bad mission is this one I had -

A man asks me to go find a merchant that got lost on the way to town. Naturally he's been attacked by bandits, so you have to recover the items from the bandit camp with 2 bandits in it nearby. You can't attack them head on, because they will kill you. You can't sneak because they'll hear you and attack you. You can't sneak in and get the chest because they'd not only hear you, but you would then have to do the janky lockpicking minigame in front of them.
If you get attacked, you can't change equipment or heal mid-combat, so to do it, I had to remove all of my clothes so my Noise on sneaking was 0, crouch in and kill the swordsman, and then fight the archer with none of my armour and hope he didn't hit me more than once or I'd die. I also had to manually save before I attempted it because if you die, it restarts your last save which is before you even accepted the mission about 5 minutes horseriding down the road.

One mission where you have to kill 2 bandits shouldn't be that much of a faff.

• Paid Members
On 1/10/2021 at 10:27 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

There's an "ending" after 8 or 9 runs where the end credits roll, but there are also other features to keep you going for more and more, and I think more story to reveal as well after that. I still try an escape attempt every day or so. 

Spoiler

The 10th time you exit Styx, Hades gives you a free pass to leave for Greece, then Persephone decides to come back to Tartarus of her own accord. There is a end credit / song roll, and the game restarts as normal except Hades is considerably frendlier to you from this point, as are quite a few of the villains (particularly Megaera). Most of the relationship quests advance well after the 10th win as well, and the Prophecy challenges are fulfilled by wins with certain weapons/aspects as well as story advancement.

Edited by seph

Outer Worlds on the Game Pass has been a delightful surprise. It's developed by Obsidian so it's essentially New Vegas in space. I had to look up if it done good business (it did) because I couldn't quite believe how it never came up on my radar. It's not re-inventing the wheel or anything, but it's dependable as fuck. I don't expect this to be a popular opinion, but I played Red Dead 2 for the first time over Christmas as well, and this is far superior.

I gave Red Dead a good 10-15 hours and was more than attuned to the idea of having a slower experience, but ultimately I just found it boring. I know that's probably a trendy contrarian opinion to have in gaming, but that's just my honest feeling on it. It seems like the culmination of what Rockstar have been going for since GTA IV. An incredibly carefully curated experience that tries to give you that fine wine of gaming feeling around each and every corner.

Dare I say there's a slight air of pretentious to that self awareness they have around themselves as being the Tarantino of gaming, now. I've got nothing to really substantiate that other than my own stupid feelings, but it seemed to ooze out of Red Dead. I don't know...I just prefer my games to feel more video gamey I guess. I know there's the threat of irony there with me being such a Metal Gear mark, but Metal Gear is incredibly fucking video gamey. Which is why it's so off the mark when gamers suggested for years what a greeeaaat film series MGS would make. 

But yeah, Outer Worlds was the proper remedy for the Red Dead woes. Just straight up gameplay, charm, customisation, getting shit done fast. Been a joy so far! 

• Paid Members

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is perhaps my favourite game I've ever played. Love the combat too - after you get the hang of it, you'll find it hard to go back to a Skyrim style hack and slash. Top tip: train with Bernard at the combat arena. Lots. The more you grind, the more you improve and combat becomes vastly easier. The whole game is like that - at the beginning you suck at absolutely everything but with practice, practice, practice you get better (just like in real life). I'm at the stage now where if a bandit or Cuman decides to jump me on the road, he's going to get destroyed. I adore pretty much everything about this game - the setting, the emphasis on real life history, the characters, the missions...I've never felt so completely absorbed in a game in my life. 

Fair play, 10-15 hours is more than enough time to decide if a game is for you or not but man all those things are why I love it so much. I do wonder how much of my love for it is down to the event gaming aspect that comes with blockbuster games and how much I’d love it through fresh eyes now. 

Funnily enough I started a new GTA V play through the other night after playing and getting a bit bored of Cyberpunk. Even though I like RDR2 more I think GTA V is a lot more playable. 

How bloody long is Yakuza 7? I've already taken a long break to play a few other games but come back and it feels like it's neverending, I really like the cast and story as much as ever but it's going on a tad too long compared to previous games, or it at least seems that way. I guess it really is a JRPG then.

On 1/11/2021 at 4:50 PM, BigJag said:

Has anyone played Gravel on the PS4? was thinking of getting it. How does it compare to something like Dirt?

Just bought the special edition with the season pass for a fiver on the PlayStation store.  Reviews don't suggest anything amazing but I think it's definitely worth it at that price.

On 1/15/2021 at 11:17 AM, Kfogg1991 said:

I'm unbelievably excited for Hitman 3 to be released next Wednesday. Apparently it has way more levels than any of the previous games and they are making the 3rd game integrated into 1 big platform bringing all the levels from the last 2 releases onto the 3rd. Remastered and tweeked so this will be the biggest yet with the most replay ability (And that's saying something) However it's not all good news as apparently this is the last Hitman game in the franchise as the developers will be working on another big game for the foreseeable.

That next game is meant to be a James Bond game, which shouldn't be the biggest leap from a Hitman type game really. The footage from the VR mode from in Hitman 3 on the Dubai level even looks a bit like Goldeneye at times. 

• Paid Members
Just now, The Curious Orange said:

Just bought the special edition with the season pass for a fiver on the PlayStation store.  Reviews don't suggest anything amazing but I think it's definitely worth it at that price.

Yep. It's a bargain at that price. I've enjoyed playing through it over the last two days. Its not easy.