WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Speaking of Game Pass, Deep Rock Galactic on there is arguably one of the best games I've played on the Xbox One ever. A real fun, exciting and intense class-based team mining/fps game where you venture into randomly generated caves and have to complete certain missions. The one where you have to build entire pipelines to a refinery and then defend it, and the one where you have to invade alien nests to steal eggs stand out, but they're all a blast. 

3 of us have started playing it and we're hooked. It requires everyone to know their roles and work as a team to get through. It's essentially Minecraft x Left 4 Dead x Team Fortress 2.

Is Hades all done in a single run? As in you keep building until you do the whole game in one run and you just manage your life with perks and an ever expanding health bar or are there check points? I had a little go and it seems well addictive with really good writing but I’ve not had much experience with rogue-likes. It seems like it is tailor made to my Switch play style. 

Has anyone bothered with Immortals Phoenix Rising on Switch? I’ve no interest in sitting and playing it for 30 plus hours on the big telly but if it runs well enough on Switch I might give it a whirl. 

• Paid Members

It is, but you also have to escape about 8-9 times to get to the actual credits. Plus there's more story to reveal and things to do afterwards. I still try and have a go every day or so. It is a heck of a game. 

On 1/3/2021 at 5:21 PM, LaGoosh said:

I've been playing Hades. It's really good fun, can't seem to beat the final boss but every time I get there I get a little bit closer each time. Very addictive. 

Me too. I normally hate roguelikes, but the way this is done works so well, it doesn't end up feeling like a roguelike. 

I came really close to beating the final boss last night, totally panicked because I was worried I'd mess up (after multiple attempts) and a run that was going really well wound up collapsing based entirely on stress making me screw up in ways I really shouldn't have and wouldn't have had the stakes not been so high. 

• Paid Members
On 12/28/2020 at 2:33 PM, Bicurious Dad said:

Superhot is definitely on the list to get, the good thing with a lot of the quest games is that they work on their own in the headset, but you also get cross-buy with the rift version so you can plug the quest into your PC and play that version with better graphics as well.

Will pick up the pixel ripped games, there's a bundle for both versions on the store just now - cheers for the heads up I don't think I'd have found those browsing

How are you enjoying your VR? I bought an Oculus Rift S in a moment of madness and I'm loving it so far. I've got Superhot VR, Creed and Half Life Alyx, which are all great, but the things I've probably enjoyed the most are the free Google Earth app and Bigscreen, where I've been watching wrestling on a virtual cinema screen. 

Maybe we should have a separate VR thread. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Me too. I normally hate roguelikes, but the way this is done works so well, it doesn't end up feeling like a roguelike. 

I came really close to beating the final boss last night, totally panicked because I was worried I'd mess up (after multiple attempts) and a run that was going really well wound up collapsing based entirely on stress making me screw up in ways I really shouldn't have and wouldn't have had the stakes not been so high. 

I'm still stuck on the final boss. Getting ever so slightly closer to beating him every time. The stage before with the poisonous rat bastards fucks my health to shreds beforehand every time though.

• Paid Members

A lot of it is about the boons you manage to pick up on the way through. What items are you carrying with you? Have you got God mode on? 

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

How are you enjoying your VR? I bought an Oculus Rift S in a moment of madness and I'm loving it so far. I've got Superhot VR, Creed and Half Life Alyx, which are all great, but the things I've probably enjoyed the most are the free Google Earth app and Bigscreen, where I've been watching wrestling on a virtual cinema screen. 

Maybe we should have a separate VR thread. 

Really enjoying it, both the quest specific software and the ability to hook it up with the pc and play rift/steam vr games as well is a great addition. I’ve got it running as a pc headset wirelessly, needs a bit of tweaking still but it’s already pretty seamless. Means I (and the kids) can play the likes of beat saber, etc in the living room where I’ve got the space as opposed to being tethered to the pc which is in our bedroom. 

Bigroom and Netflix etc have been an unexpected surprise, it’s amazing how you can get that sense of scale similar to a theatre even though it’s just a tiny screen attached to your head. I’ve not spent too much time trying to set it up with my own media server but what I have seen is great.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm still stuck on the final boss. Getting ever so slightly closer to beating him every time. The stage before with the poisonous rat bastards fucks my health to shreds beforehand every time though.

See, the little I’ve played I was getting the same ‘one more go’ buzz I got from Dark Souls but that bit in bold just triggered my Dark Souls PTSD. 

• Paid Members

They can be annoying. There are wells around each chamber that can be used to counteract the poison effect. My runs tend to be a case of trying to make myself as tanky as possible and just wading through. I finally managed to escape with the sword today, and did it without using a single death defiance. If you can get Divine Dash from Athena and something that'll add an effect onto one of your attacks then it really helps. Artemis's critical effects can be a real help as well. It can also be to your advantage to try and just increase the strength of one of your attacks and relying on that, as opposed to spreading the boons too thin across all your tools.