WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

3 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I got a ps4 for Christmas (But my partner let me have it early so i've had it since early November) And I've just been smashing the Uncharted series. 
I have completed 1/2 I wasn't that into the 3rd one I thought all the strong improvements they made in number 2 got scrapped for the 3rd for some reason. 
However now i'm playing the 4th one and i can honestly say this might be the most fun I've ever had playing a video game. It's unbelievably addictive. The graphics/aim assist/Climbing & grappling physics have made sure this 4th game is by far the most complete and perfect package in the franchise.

Yeah the third game feels rushed and unfinished, I hated when you're playing through the really interesting John Dee storyline and then it just vanishes, dropping you into that (boat or plane?) set peice and never mentioning that part of the plot again.

8 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Yeah the third game feels rushed and unfinished, I hated when you're playing through the really interesting John Dee storyline and then it just vanishes, dropping you into that (boat or plane?) set peice and never mentioning that part of the plot again.

What really disappointed me about the 3rd uncharted game was the amount of Improvement and thousand times better gameplay mechanics they had implimented from Uncharted 1 & Uncharted 2, They chose to completely backtrack and go back to the irritating and clunky ways the first game handled and bare in mind I've been playing these games back to back so it really felt confusing as everything that was wrong in the first game they spotted and fixed only to go back to square one again, Games shouldn't work like that in a franchise it should always be seeing what could be improved - improve it rinse and repeat. 

That being said though I think this 4th game is a complete masterpiece. I'm having so much fun with it and the storyline has really drawn me in with the huge reveal that gets dropped just before Elena comes into it (I'm not going to spoil it so I'm guessing Merzbow you have played it so you know where I'm up to) 

I've played alot of the Tomb raider games in the past i think the only one i didn't end up completing was the newest one (shadow of the tomb raider is it) 

2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I love your use of full stops in this post.

If you enjoyed Uncharted, I'd suggest you try the Tomb Raider series. It's quite similar.

It's really, really not. 

They're both action/adventure games. That's where the similarity ends. 

Comparing the two is like comparing GTA with any other open world game that's not an RPG. 

6 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

It's really, really not. 

Comparing the two is like comparing GTA with any other open world game that's not an RPG. 

I thought they shared a lot of similar gameplay elements, especially the combat and the way you move and climb about on the landscapes.

To me it seemed quite obvious that the Tomb Raider devs took a lot of inspiration from Uncharted when they were making it.

3 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

So i was talking to my best mate on Christmas eve about the uncharted games and we were having like an hour long conversation about how amazing they are so that's when i bought uncharted 4 thinking it was the last one in the series, But he told me there is a 5th game which is a sort of spin off without Nathan drake and instead with women so as i've been completely addicted to this 4th game and within the space of like 3 days i'm on chapter 16 I've just gone and bought the 5th spin off game ready for when I've completed this one haha. 

I loved number 4 and think it’s a masterpiece but there’s a common take that Lost Legacy is the best of the lot. I’ve started it but it’s yet to grab me in the way the others did. I think it’s a lot to do with Chloe not being in the same stratosphere as Nate when it comes to protagonists and I’d have much preferred to play as Nadine as the hard arse soldier of fortune. 

No doubt I’ll eventually get stuck in to it proper and probably love it as much as the others as I thought they improved with each instalment (two was definitely tighter but I found three to be slightly better).

I’ve been thinking about what Naughty Dog will do this generation and I kind of hope they leave Uncharted alone and do a new ip. TLOU3 seems inevitable at some point but I’d love it if they tried their hand at a western adventure. Something like The Good , The Bad and The Ugly meets Uncharted.

• Paid Members

The Lost Legacy doesn't match up to 2, 3 or 4's magic, for me, but I can see why some like it the most, there's little "fat" and "downtime"*. It might have the best ending in the series, though, actually saving the best set-piece for last, for once!

* as fucking if there's much of that in 2/3/4! They're paced perfectly.

• Paid Members

I haven't heard anyone say Lost Legacy is the best one, it's definitely fun though. For me, 2 is easily the best just due to the huge jump in graphics, set pieces and overall quality from 1 to 2 and additionally 2 just felt like a huge jump for gaming overall. It was the first to do truly epic Hollywood movie style set pieces in games at that level. 

I love all the games but if I had to a code it would be 2,4,1,LL,3.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Steve Justice said:

It's really, really not. 

The new Tomb Raider games definitely took a lot of inspiration from the Uncharted series but I think they feel different enough to not feel like copy. I love that series too. The combat and platforming is very satisfying in a way the Uncharted series never quite matched. However I think the tone, look  pacing and atmosphere of the Uncharted series is much better. I reckon if you love one series you're probably love the other.

It's really, really not. 

Have to disagree with this, assuming you’re talking about the reboots. I gave Uncharted a second chance after enjoying the first game in the new Tomb Raider trilogy and found that they share a lot of the same gameplay and thematic elements. Obviously the games have their differences but I’d suggest the similarities outweigh them, and it’s probably a fair assessment to say that Tomb Raider might quench someone’s thirst if they’re looking for more Uncharted. Worked for me, albeit the other way round.

Similar gameplay/style is just the action/adventure elements of the games. What sets them apart is story, character and personality. The Uncharted series has them in abundance. TR is just a dull, boring affair in comparison. 

Lara Crofts monotone dialogue made me skip all the cutscenes in the end, and I just did not care about the story at all. The gameplay was OK, and not significantly different from Uncharted. But it completely lacks what makes Uncharted superior. 

Lost Legacy is a very scaled down open world puzzle game. It's good fun. Worth playing through. 

Similar gameplay/style is just the action/adventure elements of the games. What sets them apart is story, character and personality. The Uncharted series has them in abundance. TR is just a dull, boring affair in comparison. 

Lara Crofts monotone dialogue made me skip all the cutscenes in the end, and I just did not care about the story at all. The gameplay was OK, and not significantly different from Uncharted. But it completely lacks what makes Uncharted superior. 

I really enjoyed the story in the first two ‘new’ Tomb Raiders - the series lost its way a bit in the third though both in terms of storytelling and gameplay.

Possibly a controversial opinion, but I prefer the first two Tomb Raider reboot games to the first three Uncharteds. Uncharted 4 eclipses them all though.

Edited by RedRooster

Horizon: Zero Dawn touches on some of the cinematic aspects of Uncharted and there's a little tomb raiding, too. Overall it's a pretty different beast and is more of a mix of Assassin's Creed (but far better imo) and Monster Hunter but could be something you'd be into @Kfogg1991. I often see copies including the DLC selling for around 7 quid now.