Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

3 hours ago, forlan said:

The witch hunts about trivial matters need to stop or they will dilute the incidents which need more attention where people have actually been abused etc. 

This is the mindset that stops people coming forward. Many people who have been groped or kissed against their will don’t speak out because they feel their assault isn’t as worthy as rape. You are perpetuating this with your ridiculousness. Fuck off. 

Quackenbush was one of my favourite wrestling personalities purely based on how he creatively viewed and broke down the business. In his podcasts he would talk a lot about how everything you do has to inform what your character is trying to convey.

So much of that statement comes across as a clumsily designed performance, like he's trying to convey emotions he has no experience of. It lacks any sort of empathy or authenticity and very much feels like an am-dram Talking Heads piece. It could be down to a speech impediment, I've heard him talk enough to know his voice always has that hint of artifice to it, but fuck me, you'd think he would know that about himself well enough to know a written statement was the way to go.

Watching this I'm less concerned about autism than I am a personality disorder, as rough as that sounds.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Watching this I'm less concerned about autism than I am a personality disorder, as rough as that sounds.

Just as ableist as forlan came out with, so go you.

Back to the subject, it already seems like things are slowing down. I’m not sure what I expected to happen. But this was a big thing for a few days and now, I dunno. I guess that’s how news works. I know some total shitbags have been fairly ruined and will/should never work again. And that’s great. I just get the feeling that, as usual with wrestling, this will be forgotten about soon and not a lot will change. Especially when the two big companies haven’t really made any sort of statement in regards to efforts in the future.

Probably jaded because WWE have gotten away with everything they’ve ever done and because I’m not as interested in or follow the U.K. scene like I did before I had my kids and ran out of time.  Hopefully I’m wrong though.

5 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Back to the subject, it already seems like things are slowing down. I’m not sure what I expected to happen. But this was a big thing for a few days and now, I dunno. I guess that’s how news works. I know some total shitbags have been fairly ruined and will/should never work again. And that’s great. I just get the feeling that, as usual with wrestling, this will be forgotten about soon and not a lot will change. Especially when the two big companies haven’t really made any sort of statement in regards to efforts in the future.

Probably jaded because WWE have gotten away with everything they’ve ever done and because I’m not as interested in or follow the U.K. scene like I did before I had my kids and ran out of time.  Hopefully I’m wrong though.

To have real change will take a lot of time and a lot of effort. WWE released Banks and Ligero but not on a snap judgement, which does show that they're actually taking things seriously and looking into them. It's easy enough for companies to quickly get out there and release statements and all of that, but I don't think the 'I DID IT FIRST!' mentality is always for the best.

Yes, I suppose it's easy to be cynical about it and assume nothing will change etc, but also on the other hand perhaps they're just trying to do things properly. Maybe. Probably not.

9 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

WWE released Banks and Ligero but not on a snap judgement, which does show that they're actually taking things seriously and looking into them.

Call me a cynic if you like, but I'm more inclined to think WWE released a couple of developmental talents they had no real long term, or even short term what with coronavirus, plans for at a convenient moment. Rather than the "OMG WWE are firing everyone because of coronavirus" they are looking like the good guys who take these kinds of allegations seriously, and if  allegations were later made against someone they really, really wanted to keep they can point back to firing Banks and Ligero as evidence they act when they are satisfied the allegations are true.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Back to the subject, it already seems like things are slowing down.

I would think that the police are in the evidence gathering phase right now. They have to interview all the people who came forward and see where the investigation goes from there. This sort of thing needs to be handled sensitively and isn't a quick process under normal circumstances, and we can all agree these are hardly normal times.

• Paid Members

The people who came out with their stories are probably finding out that their words dont mean much, considering its such a closed shop. Its a business where the industry leader is trying to get a 8,000 seat venue up and running next month when 20-odd members of his staff and roster have went down with the Covid. People dont care about people in wrestling. They're care about money and themselves. The facts are, everyone knew about it all anyway, and it was ignored. Now they'll just try and ride it out and hope you all forget. The business is awful. Nobody truly wants change, they want you to move onto something else to be upset about. Its a cunty place.

So here's one for you.. browsing the forum I saw a link to an old thread about kip James and was appalled at the lack of respect shown to women by people who i see are also posting in this thread.  Talking about women as objects.. being sexist.. being misogynistic and sexist among other things.. maybe these people should come out and apologise for their attitudes to women in the past.

If it cannot be accepted that people said or did things in a certain way in the past and change ala Mike about the homophobic slur for example on this forum then how can people try to say they have different views themselves now and have grown?

Or are some people (not all) playing the moral crusader to try and look woke

I can certainly link the thread here if people want to live on their past glories?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, forlan said:

So here's one for you.. browsing the forum I saw a link to an old thread about kip James and was appalled at the lack of respect shown to women by people who i see are also posting in this thread.  Talking about women as objects.. being sexist.. being misogynistic and sexist among other things.. maybe these people should come out and apologise for their attitudes to women in the past.

If it cannot be accepted that people said or did things in a certain way in the past and change ala Mike about the homophobic slur for example on this forum then how can people try to say they have different views themselves now and have grown?

I can certainly link the thread here if people want to live on their past glories?

I don't know why you have designated yourself to be a knight in shining armour for Mike, but give it up kid. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

9 minutes ago, forlan said:

U ok hun?