Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Justin Breeding said:

I’ve been following this thread since it’s start and I feel compelled to say that I too was guilty of obnoxious and offensive behaviour on this forum a long time ago (I think it’s been at least 10 years now since I last had an account here).

I believe that I’ve changed over the course of the decade, and I’ve no doubt there’s others here who would say the same about themselves. I’m not the immature shitposter I was in my mid-to-late 20s; I’ve dealt with my mental health issues in a more constructive way, I got out of a marriage where I suffered psychological and physical abuse in late-2010, I spend my free time in creative and productive pursuits, and I co-raise my two children as a single father along with my mother. I was also diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome/High Functioning Autism in recent years which, while doesn’t excuse any behaviours I exhibited in my life, at least gives me an opportunity now to seek help, advice and prompts me to think about why I am the way I am.

I look at all the brave statements in the #SpeakingOut threads on Twitter and my heart goes out to them all. Even if some of the accusations turn out to be false or baseless or without important information, as someone said early on in this thread, I’d rather believe a liar than not believe someone who it turns out was telling the truth about any harassment or abuse they received.

I ask myself would I have felt such sympathy for these victims 10, 15 years ago? I honestly think I would, BUT knowing how I played off having a “UKFF persona” back then I would more than likely made jokes about one or two of the allegations. It’s that sort of thing, plus me winding the mods up, that made sure all my accounts here were suspended before too long, and I kind of revelled in that for a long time as deep down I was generally a very unhappy person in my real life.

I think we’re all capable of change to varying degrees, and I’m not going to claim I’m perfect, far from it, I still have a macabre sense of humour and I often speak too quickly without thinking the statement through properly, but I do believe I’ve made big improvements in my life that enable me to adapt to the changing standards our society has in 2020. 

I’m with each and every one who is Speaking Out, and also with all those who haven’t got the confidence to go public with what they’ve had to go through within the wrestling industry. You’re all brave and I wish you closure and unprecedented changes to the business so that wrestling being a bigoted, misogynistic, abusive boys club ends as soon as possible.

You're more than welcome back. The majority of this forum, myself included, is changing - learning not be be a dick, to have respect. 

Edited by PowerButchi

11 hours ago, Divorced Dad said:

Who gives a fuck about a company or it's reputation when there are actual, real life victims out there? 

Come on now mate thats not very fair.

Who are the real victims here? Is it the countless people who have been abused OR is it a bunch of geeks dressed up as ice creams and insects?????

Makes u think

1 hour ago, theringmaster said:

The irony of course being Paige used a very similar racial slur in the original documentary but nobody talks about that....

There's pattern of selective memory emerging for certain and I should probably leave it at that. 

Taken from the observer website:

While their mandatory conference call ended up being a reminder of company policy, WWE did take action against several additional UK talents Tuesday, a follow up to the Friday releases of Ligero (Simon Musk) and Travis Banks (Travis Bligh).

The company confirmed that referees Joel Allen and Chris Roberts were released while Joe Coffey has been suspended, all due to allegations from #SpeakingOut.

As far as the conference call with UK talent, it was largely Paul Levesque telling them explicitly what the protocol was regarding sexual abuse allegations. He said that there would be zero tolerance on any charges, provided there was irrefutable evidence to the charges.

It was taken as more of a warning going forward than anything else, but there was no talk regarding any other changes with the UK brand which will continue to tape television as soon as it is once again feasible to do so in that market.

Edited by andrew "the ref" coyne

• Paid Members

He may have stated he had an alibi that was convincing enough that they decided an investigation was warranted so they could not be sued for wrongful dismissal, or something similar.

6 minutes ago, iPumaPants said:

Ligero, Banks, Allen and Roberts were charged?

WWE also said "OR" if they have sufficient evidence. Such as filming yourself asking a fan to bring their "slutty friends" for a "hot wet lay". 

In other words and arrest is auto suspension / firing, but WWE still have a right to kick you out if there is video / photos of you being a dingus.

22 hours ago, theringmaster said:

The irony of course being Paige used a very similar racial slur in the original documentary but nobody talks about that....

Did she use it as a pejorative? If not, perhaps that's why nobody talks about it.