Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

I've maybe watched about five minutes of Mike Quackenbush wrestling in my whole life and haven't watched much more of Chikara because it always seemed like wrestling for people who laugh when a tennis ball gets stuck in the net at Wimbledon.

But that video was pretty much how I would expect an apology from him to go. It's arguably the worst response to come out during this whole purge of nonces, predators and outright cunts. Which is *amazing* when you consider this is wrestling and nobody accused has had any idea how to respond to any of this like a human being.

He still thinks he's cutting fucking promos, and cutting away so he can go and rub some onion under his eyes is absolutely pathetic. It would have been genuinely better if he'd said and done nothing. What an absolute prick.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

It probably sounds unfair of me but as someone who’s not very familiar with Mike Quackenbush, as a person or wrestler, it honestly felt like he was taking the piss when he ‘broke down‘ towards the end there. Felt like the hammiest of acting that would leave the Shawn Michaels ‘I love you, I’m sorry’ shite in the dust. Like Pat said, a fair bit of what he’s actually saying isn’t bad, but the way it’s presented and delivered comes across so disingenuous. It’s mad to think that with a subject as serious and sensitive as this, someone recorded that, rewatched it, edited it and was happy enough with how it comes across to hit ‘publish’ on YouTube. 

Wasn't it James Mason that had the to do with Roy a couple of years ago that resulted in The Hooligans not getting a contract with WWE? Was it that Mason was diddling Roy's ex?

Roy and Ricky both went off on one about it on socials accusing Regal of being racist. I remember Roy doing one of his tremendously well advised video tirades on the matter, if memory serves.

I totally forgot about that..

Here’s a direct quote:

“Been told I can't go to WWE tryouts because I threatened a NXT trainer, or whatever. That's bullshit. The bottom line is, [William] Regal, we heard he was slagging my family off," claimed Roy. "A lot of wrestlers told us he was slagging us off, calling us poutine scum and my dad's a gangster. I mentioned to Mr. Regal, 'what's your problem with my dad, what's your problem with my family? Why do you keep blocking us? If you got an issue, I'll come on my own to meet you at any venue in the world and we can have a chat about it. Or a shoot fight, whatever you want to do. Kick the shit out of each other, shake hands, get done with it.' He messaged my dad and was really nice to my dad. I messaged him saying, 'it's done. Thanks a lot.' Men like to speak to each other because that's what most men do. I'm not a 'Yes Man' like most people you hire. I don't know why you keep carrying this on.”

There is a bit on James Mason I’m seeing too. I wonder if he was the guy that Paige went on record to say was dangled out the window? 

I didn’t really ever take much interest in these guys beyond the obvious. There seems to be some history to put it mildly. I don’t know if there’s even much a reputation to tarnish at this point - and by that I mean they’re known for being quite aggressive, quite violent - that’s the persona and their main following either don’t know about it, don’t care or are in denial about it, and no allegations at this point would change that.

Edited by AVM

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, AVM said:

There is a bit on James Mason I’m seeing too. I wonder if he was the guy that Paige went on record to say was dangled out the window? 

I've no idea how true or exaggerated it is, but I heard the James Mason dangling story before I even knew who James Mason was. It's a well travelled tale.

12 hours ago, boyfriend said:

Jesus that Quack video was desperate wasn't it. He has serious issues editing a fucking apology video. Ridiculously hammy, even if he truly meant some of it he ballsed it all up with that atrocity! 

What some people need to realise before judging is Mike always speaks that way because it was a technique to get over a speech impediment as a child..he is not deliberately being hammy are trying to sound a certain way..if you follow his career he always talks like that because of the speech issue as a child

Also he recorded one long thing with no cuts and someone else who normally edits his videos edited it for him to release.  He made no deliberate editing attempt to be disingenuous.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, forlan said:

What some people need to realise before judging is Mike always speaks that way because it was a technique to get over a speech impediment as a child..he is not deliberately being hammy are trying to sound a certain way..if you follow his career he always talks like that because of the speech issue as a child

Also he recorded one long thing with no cuts and someone else who normally edits his videos edited it for him to release.  He made no deliberate editing attempt to be disingenuous.

Point 1. If that is how you always sound and you want to address these allegations don't release a video, release a written statement. 

Point 2. I'm sure it wasn't edited to look deliberately disingenuous, but the editing does make it look like that. Who ever edited it hasn't helped him at all.