Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

30 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

That's the point. Immediate reporting and forensic testing is the only proof much of the time. Waiting decreases conviction chances sadly. 

The problem I have is if we assume people are guilty as a starting position. How can someone prove they didn't do it? 

My friend has been accused (can't go into details).  With absolutely no evidence his name gets dragged through the mud. How is that OK? I believe him as it goes, I just can't see it at all. With one accusation his whole career can be finished and everything that goes along w that. 

The problem with defamation cases, or at least libel, is that in a sense it does presume guilt because the burden is on the defendant to prove they are telling the truth, in other words the presumption is that the defendant is lying. This is problematic when it comes to sexual abuse cases.

That being said the precedent is generally that libel cases can be successfully defended more easily than proving criminal cases - which is probably why the amount of libel cases in this country is fairly low (I think it’s 67 a year?). There’s a fair bit of risk involved if the defendant has solid evidence - I’d imagine that’s why you see a fair amount of these strong arm statements etc. It gives the claimant a moral victory without taking on the risk of a full trial - though that strategy only works if the defendant wishes to de-escalate at all costs. Some people are prepared to fight their case all the way because they know they’re telling the truth and they know they have the evidence to back it up.

Edited by AVM

• Paid Members

For the record, Danielle Matheson is a wrestling journalist and photographer, not a random fan accusing Trent Seven. I don't know what she posted originally, so I don't know if Trent getting lawyers involved is because of the severity of whatever she said, or because of her platform.

As for whether these people should be allowed a second chance - perhaps, but they're not owed one. And certainly not at the expense of people who haven't even had their first chance yet, or who had that chance taken from them by manipulative and abusive trainers, promoters and wrestlers.

I’ve no idea what Danielle Mathesson’s allegation was, but the comment in her thread that said ‘blink twice if you’re okay’ about summed it up for me. Such a fucked up business.

40 minutes ago, Edgehead said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dUxvo2-JuE&feature=youtu.be&t=2944

49.00 minutes in, Paige's WWE Network interview. Aggressive family behaviour. 

That is really fucking weird, she talks about it as if it is an everyday thing. Laughing about it and basically condoning violence. You can be protective without obscene violence. 

Edited by westlondonmist

9 hours ago, BomberPat said:

For the record, Danielle Matheson is a wrestling journalist and photographer, not a random fan accusing Trent Seven. I don't know what she posted originally, so I don't know if Trent getting lawyers involved is because of the severity of whatever she said, or because of her platform.

As for whether these people should be allowed a second chance - perhaps, but they're not owed one. And certainly not at the expense of people who haven't even had their first chance yet, or who had that chance taken from them by manipulative and abusive trainers, promoters and wrestlers.

The only anonymous thing I have seen about Trent was that he was being approached all night by some younger looking girls, and the person who spotted it slept with him instead. It read very strange at the time unless there is something I have missed? Sure someone replied to it saying they where one of The girls and they were stealing his drinks, he wasn’t buying them. Correct me if I’m wrong anyone 

1 hour ago, Louch said:

The only anonymous thing I have seen about Trent was that he was being approached all night by some younger looking girls, and the person who spotted it slept with him instead. It read very strange at the time unless there is something I have missed? Sure someone replied to it saying they where one of The girls and they were stealing his drinks, he wasn’t buying them. Correct me if I’m wrong anyone 

From what I can gather from Reddit this is a different accusation to Danielle's.

3 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

That is really fucking weird, she talks about it as if it is an everyday thing. Laughing about it and basically condoning violence. You can be protective without obscene violence. 

I think it shows a huge desensitisation to aggression all round. They come across as carny as fuck; the type that would turn up in your area, shit in your back yard, have a brawl with the police and leave. I may be completely wrong on this (I usually am) but that's how they come across. I am sure they are very nice but the whole wrestling culture seems to have enveloped them. 

I agree that she seems completely desensitized to violence as she laughs about her Dad kicking the shit out of someone in the locker room and her brother beating someone with a pool cue. This is all really funny to her in the context of her story because Daniel Bryan is freaked out by her families behaviour. 

I'm not sure I agree they are very nice people though...