Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

Are we assuming that he knows they're underage? The girl says she overheard that they were asking people to get them drinks earlier on. And I'm not picking holes in stories at all. I'm just saying this particular one isn't really the same as other ones that are truly terrible.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Why are so many people so keen to pick holes in some of these stories? And are you both conveniently ignoring the part where he was trying to pull underage girls?

One of the “underage” girls replied to the initial tweet and admitted they were aged between 19-23 and were hanging around Trent all night stealing his drinks. He asks their age and then He dismisses them the entire night until when he’s utterly hammered, this 4th woman who made the initial tweet came up and “heroically took the sex bullet”.

It’s a very dodgy story and honestly it sounds like he was raped in this if anything. A group of girls get him hammered and then another one literally only comes over to have sex with him.

Edited by FelatioLips

51 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

so it is, i honestly didn't notice that bit. The Egg on my face currently tastes fairly bad! Regardless of my mistake, the persons situation is still as i said and still makes me angry 

El Ligero has deleted his twitter.

To echo a previous post, i fear that this situation will lead to something very tragic and i genuinely am worried 

I lost my love of attending wrestling shows a number of years back, and i was hoping to start to attend shows again once this pandemic is over, however now i don't think i will 

Doesn't necessarily mean she wasn't around all this going on, in fact it is likely she was around it in some regards and would have been quite young at the time. Completely agree with you Ralphy that when i'm able to I won't be going to any wrestling shows in the UK for the foreseeable future. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Funny thing is, Alex Shane was the one trying to start a governing body. I can see why he'd want to control the narrative.

The governing body Alex Shane wanted to set up was a pyramid scheme based on buying your way up the armband ladder and encouraging others to buy them as well. It was all cobblers. I know someone who got a top tier black armband because he had a car and would drive wrestlers around. There was never anything else to it other than Alex Shane making money. That's what I thought until all this came out anyway, now as Ian says you can see why he would want to control the narrative as well. 

54 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

That Trent Seven story is such a non issue and is the sort of thing that detracts from the actual scum fuckery that goes on.

You're missing the point completely. Predators in wrestling, and elsewhere, have got away with it for so long because victims are afraid to speak up, whether it's because they are afraid it will harm their career or, more pertinently, because they don't think they will be believed. So while a single incident may well be a non issue at the end of the day, it's important that people do come forward with these stories so other potential victims have the confidence to tell their stories, which might be considerably worse. 

1 minute ago, Tamura said:

You're missing the point completely. Predators in wrestling, and elsewhere, have got away with it for so long because victims are afraid to speak up, whether it's because they are afraid it will harm their career or, more pertinently, because they don't think they will be believed. So while a single incident may well be a non issue at the end of the day, it's important that people do come forward with these stories so other potential victims have the confidence to tell their stories, which might be considerably worse. 

I don't feel like I'm missing the point at all. I fully applaud true victims that have had the courage to come forward with their stories and exposing the real scumbags out there. But I don't think it's in good taste for people to jump on the bandwagon as it has the potential to dilute the real issues out there and tarnish people's names.

10 hours ago, Tommy! said:

In my limited experience there were a number of people floating around wrestling who fell into one of two categories, one was the ego driven arrogant slightly sociopathic types, some of whom clearly enjoyed turning the knife on people they felt they could. 

The other were people with some sort of mental health issue like depression conditions or learning issues. I met some great people who were training who I got on with well but I'd certainly describe as being vulnerable and not people I'd leave on their own with people from group A. 

Without a strong buffer or control figure overseeing things I can see how you quickly get serious problems. And wrestling does seem to be a magnet for those two groups that you don't see drawn so strongly elsewhere. That's not to say that's every one, but it was always prevalent enough to be noteworthy to me. 

I generally had a good experience when I did knock about at shows or schools, but as a white male knocking about just for just for fun for a few years and not really falling into either camp above, dropping out because I became a total mental after I tried to top myself, it's not a shock I did.

I do remember meting a reasonably big female name once and me leaving the room at lightning speed once I noticed they'd started getting changed because it was either the norm to have a bloke about, she didn't feel comfortable to ask me to leave or didn't care I was there but I certainly wasn't comfortable continuing picking up the empty chicken slice packages and bigmac wrappers left lying about by people on the show once she'd stood in the other corner and started taking her clothes off.

Yeah it would seem odd to have a female in the changing room with lads.

Yep that's how they come across. There is a 3rd version which is the normal person too. There are 3 kinds of fans and 3 kinds of wrestlers I guess. One thing I always felt, is if I ever bumped into a wrestler in the street, or shop or whatever - I never actually wanted to tell them I was a fan. 

It's almost as if a large majority of them look down on you for being fans. This is 2 out of 3 of them. The sociopaths look down on you, they manipulate the with mental health issues to look down on you and then the 3rd doesn't interact with you as a by product. By the time you stumble upon a 3rd one your learnt behaviour has been for them to be a certain way so you don't make an effort.

I know wrestling is entertainment. Though in my sport it's like the total opposite and it's disappointing to see it.

I just hope that what happened in the early nineties in the WWF does not happen here.  We all thought Patterson and Brisco where great in the attitude era, but either did not know or forgot that Patterson had to resign in the early nineties in relation to claims made that he was making inappropriate advances to young men.  This movement should be the foundations for which a much better working environment is created for female wrestlers.  I just hope we are not sitting here in 30 years time talking about the same subject, when nothing (or very little) has been done to make the changes that are (obviously) needed.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Why are so many people so keen to pick holes in some of these stories? And are you both conveniently ignoring the part where he was trying to pull underage girls?

I literally didn't pick a single hole in the story. I didn't even mention or dismiss the underage girl part. 

That would imply I didn't believe a part of her story. I believe her completely. She herself said she went over to take the heat off of the other girls, and proceeded to flirt with him instead and then go on to have consensual sex with him. 

But context in these stories are very VERY important. And when a story has a girl apparently trying to save young girls by having sex with the predator... that raises the real obvious question (which many people on Twitter did) "why did you go on to have sex with him if you thought he was being predatory?" 

Edited by andrew "the ref" coyne

I agree. They need to be questioned, probably not by us but by the police. If there are holes they need to be filled?

I can think of numerous times where a mate has been persistent with a girl, and then she gives in. She could post the screenshots and he would come across as predatory, yet in other shots she could have been leading him on and we know women do pride themselves on being 'hard to get'.

Not trying to dismiss any claim whatsoever, yet given what's at stake in terms of dreams, livelihood, freedom and potentially even life's then it has to be concrete beyond reasonable doubt. 

Twitter and other platforms are great for giving people an opportunity to speak where they didn’t have the platform before. Allowing for confidence and people to come forward and support each other. 

However we also need to be careful of trial by Twitter. It isn’t the justice system and there’s a reason for that. It allows any person to pick “holes” and start critiquing or victim blaming when people shouldn’t have to go through that from the public. But it can also lead to people being labelled guilty without the proper processes. 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, kamicazze said:

we know women do pride themselves on being 'hard to get'.

Well, now we're established to be dealing with someone with a deep understanding of women...

34 minutes ago, kamicazze said:

Not trying to dismiss any claim whatsoever, yet given what's at stake in terms of dreams, livelihood, freedom and potentially even life's then it has to be concrete beyond reasonable doubt. 

What kind of proof would satisfy you? Considering even rape is so incredibly difficult to prove, and so many of these stories are about what happens with two people, just what kind of proof can you imagine being enough?