Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The idea that some people are reading the stories that women are sharing (and how many of them inspire other women to come forward and share stories about the same people) and deciding that the main thing that needs to change is anonymity for the men involved really is depressing.

You're basically looking at this whole situation and going 'you know what? Women have too much power here. Something should be done.'.

The same thing happened with metoo. 

If you find yourself arguing "well these 100's of stories of women being raped, sexually assaulted, groomed from underage and physically and verbally abused is sad but I'm going to stand up for the poor wrestlers who maybe wrongly accused" please fucking don't.

Also, on the back of Jonnys post, a not guilty verdict doesn’t mean a false allegation has been made. It means that is couldn’t be proven without a reasonable doubt.

Edit - What @Tamura said. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

16 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I would imagine that if anyone contacts the Police that generates some sort of a reference number so they can to identify that individual report or contact.

This is standard operating procedure in all British police forces, & it feeds into the PNC.

4 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Is it worth introducing the not proven verdict like in the Scottish courts? 

Lack of evidence, is how it's reported.  As per the Cliff Richard allegations ...

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, MPDTT said:

3 hours ago, MPDTT said:

I'd be very uncomfortable with a shift away from presumed innocence - it moves the needle from being a democractic, liberal legal system to one that is more authoritarian

No one is arguing for that are they? 

Correct me if I'm wrong and misunderstood but I've taken the main argument is we should develop a culture to not dismiss or undermine claims rather than change the nature or certainty of conviction?

The argument isn't to start to say person X is guilty because of what person Y said but more that person Y isn't instantly assumed to be a lying tart who probably asked for it because lads will be lads. 

Edited by Tommy!

11 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

That’s not without its problems. In fact, there’s an ongoing push to scrap the not proven verdict here precisely to achieve more convictions in sexual assault/rape cases.

Another thing with low conviction rates with rape cases is how they are often plea bargained down, or advised to seek a lesser charge due to the higher chance of getting a conviction. 

11 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

No one is arguing for that are they? 

Correct me if I'm wrong and misunderstood but I've taken the main argument is we should develop a culture to not dismiss or undermine claims rather than change the nature or certainty of conviction?

The argument isn't to start to say person X is guilty because of what person Y said but more that person Y isn't instantly assumed to be a lying tart who probably asked for it because lads will be lads. 

I was responding to a post 4 hours ago from Michael_3165, which suggested a change in the burden of proof. 

And on your second point - I agree - there is a big difference between not dismissing allegations / treating them seriously and automatically assuming the accused is guilty as charged. But the burden must alwaye be on the accuser to prove it in a court of law....even though, regrettably, conviction rates are unbelievably low as a result. If anyone can come up with a way of increasing conviction rates without relaxing the burden of proof principle, I'd be all for it. 

Edited by MPDTT

• Paid Members

It can be terribly difficult for a woman to come forward and report the crime in the first place, not to mention the treatment they sometimes get because of false claims, and defendants ostensibly getting away with it because of inconclusive evidence or, in a certain example, witnesses for the defence saying the victim enjoyed rough sex.. I have a friend who was raped, and when she tried to report it the offcer asked whether she had "buyer's remorse". It's a horrible thing. I really hope these incidents are investigated to the fullest. These people have done great work coming forward, the stigma surrounding things like this needs to be removed as while it wouldn't make people feel completely safe, it'd certainly make people feel safer.

18 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Reading through your posts I'm not sure that you do. 

Well, you read it as you desire; the truth is that there are scummy cunts out there who wish to take advantage of those they are ultimately able to coerce & manipulate.  Maybe Bowler is misunderstood, but I'd doubt that.