Comedy and offense

Chris B

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Off topic but I was in Salzburg once and there was some festival in the square. I could hear a recognisable tune from the beer tent but obviously couldn't pin it down amongst the drunken German singing and chatter until they all cheered "Alice, who the fuck is Alice" in English as loud as they could. 

Change the city to Hamar in Norway and I had the same experience walking past a pub in the year 2000. But Norway was the only country which played uncensored Eminem singles on the radio that I’ve been to. Love an English swear word over there!

That said, no one seemed to know who RCB was other then from this song thankfully.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Just Some Guy said:

Bernard Manning on the other hand (as I remember) had great delivery & timing. This is from watching his "keep it clean, Bernard" stuff on TV in the 90s. No way would I have wanted to watch his uncensored stuff.

There was a documentary about Bernard Manning and offence in comedy. He took part in it when he knew he was going to die, and it covered his thoughts on his legacy and mortality, including footage of himself being overlaid over his own funeral. 

I'm an absolute sucker for stuff like this - it's the Scrooge thing. An arsehole looks over his life and comes to terms, for better or worse, with what he's accomplished, and the nearness of death gives a greater level of self-awareness and self-assessment.

Not with Manning. He just came across like more of a totally un-self-aware twat, who kept mumbling 'only jokes though, innit?'. I came out of watching this documentary detesting him even more.

I've always seen Chubby Brown as part of a weird section of British cultural history. It's not so much a question of how good he was.

I find it fascinating to look at his crowd today, as it represents a generation that simply haven't moved on. I guess when he came along in the 70's or whenever there would have been the old fellas hanging on, using the same old routines they'd used back in the day. Happens to every generation. 

For me, he'll always be part of that old VHS bargain bin Christmas gift era. 

• Paid Members

I remember UFO was on Sky Movies when I was at school, and this joke has stuck with me ever since. Cant remember fuck all else, but do recall this inspired bit of dialog.

Chubby to his wife: "Give me 50p for the metre."

Wife: "why have you never got any money on you. You're spending it on another women arent you?"

Chubby: "You find me a woman I can fuck for 50 pence and you can have a divorce tomorrow."

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Chris B said:

There was a documentary about Bernard Manning and offence in comedy. He took part in it when he knew he was going to die, and it covered his thoughts on his legacy and mortality, including footage of himself being overlaid over his own funeral. 

I'm an absolute sucker for stuff like this - it's the Scrooge thing. An arsehole looks over his life and comes to terms, for better or worse, with what he's accomplished, and the nearness of death gives a greater level of self-awareness and self-assessment.

Not with Manning. He just came across like more of a totally un-self-aware twat, who kept mumbling 'only jokes though, innit?'. I came out of watching this documentary detesting him even more.

Wasn't there also one where he went to India to see how his humour travelled over there?

The first defence that anyone ever has of Manning, of course, was that he 'did a lot for charity' so therefore you can't criticise him for being a sexist, racist old cunt.