Comedy and offense

Chris B

9 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

You're to quick for me, Mr Malcolm! I was just about to say the hold up in making any of these shows these days would be the actors, not really the scripts.

Jessica Walter might be a problem if casted these days. 

• Paid Members

On a different note, absolutely depressing seeing Louis CK's new show being advertised by every other male comedian on Twitter. And the odd female one too. An industry that sticks to protecting its twats almost as awfully as wrestling does.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Jessica Walter might be a problem if casted these days. 

I like how they wrote her out of Archer. 

• Paid Members
On 12/19/2021 at 9:24 AM, LaGoosh said:

Top notch reading that. 

I enjoy the Smartless podcast as I like all 3 hosts: Jason Bateman, Will Arnett and Sean Hayes. However it sometimes pisses me off as they are part of the anti-woke dimwit brigade and often bring it up with their guests in the usual "you couldn't say that anymore" shite. Recently they said that you couldn't do Arrested Development these days because it would offend people which is fucking idiotic because Arrested isn't remotely offensive to anyone. But there was a moment when they had Jerry Seinfeld on and asked him about "wokeness" ruining comedy and he replied, clearly annoyed, that it's all bullshit - public opinions and viewpoints have always been constantly evolving and changing and that truly good comedy will never be affected by people being offended, only badly written comedy is affected. The hosts went quiet and quickly changed the subject.

A mate of mine who runs a café was saying that one of his regulars practically daily does a "you couldn't do that on TV any more" rant, usually about something that's actually fairly innocuous, and he's taken to responding with things like, "yes, but twenty years ago you couldn't have shown two men kissing on TV", or something along those lines, and watching the mental gymnastics required as the bloke complaining actually has to think about what he's saying for once rather than just parroting reactionary nonsense. 

• Paid Members

The thing is you absolutely can do offensive and un-PC jokes if you are smart or talented with it. It's only the really lazy, mean spirited punching-down stuff that wasn't really good in the first place that gets "cancelled" (for lack of a better term). The success of something like It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia proves that you absolutely can have your cake and eat it too. For example the characters in that always do or say offensive and un-PC things but it's fine because the characters are always presented as horrible idiotic people completely out of touch with reality so the audience can both laugh at the joke itself and also laugh at the characters for being so stupid and awful, rather than laughing along with the joke itself. That's what good comedy does. Bad comedy is something like Little Britain with the "I'm a lady" sketch where you're supposed to laugh hysterically at the trans person for being trans and that's pretty much it.

TL;DR - David Walliams is a cunt.

• Paid Members

yeah, I'm in a Simpsons Facebook group that fairly routinely posts the Krusty "me so solly" racist stand-up as something that "you couldn't get away with today", when the entire joke is that it's lazy, offensive humour that everyone in the audience recognises as such and is appalled by. The joke is on Krusty, you're not meant to be laughing at the shit racism. But you should never be surprised by how many people can barely understand text, let alone subtext.

• Paid Members

Someone showed me a TikTok (i still don't get it) with someone sharing a bit from the Hairspray musical film and being horrified the N word was used, when in the context of the whole movie it is about breaking the racism barriers they had due to segregation. You can pretty much take a lot of things out of context to appear racist that arent.

That said, my non verbal son can now say hello, but due to his impedient it sounds more like a chinese stereotype impersionation from the 70's so were hoping he doesn't say it out in the wild so he doesn't cancel himself.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That said, my non verbal son can now say hello, but due to his impedient it sounds more like a chinese stereotype impersionation from the 70's so were hoping he doesn't say it out in the wild so he doesn't cancel himself.

This sounds like the lead-up to a Michael McIntyre gag.