Comedy and offense

Chris B

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm a member of a Mark & Lard fan group on Facebook, and every couple of days you can guarantee there's a post of "they'd never get away with doing that nowadays because of the woke snowflakes." then consternation when all the "woke snowflakes" in the group pile into the comments and say they never did anything offensive on their shows. 

I think it was Stewart Lee who said years ago that the problem seems to be that there's an entire generation who don't engage with any of these criticisms in any way, and just assume that there's some nebulous agency out there just arbitrarily banning words they used to use and jokes they used to tell. There's no effort to actually recognise why things might be offensive, so there's just this blanket response of "it was a joke from 20-30 years ago, so you couldn't tell it any more". 

2 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59703257

Another celeb with their finger on the pulse of what modern comedy audiences want. 75yr old Maureen Lipman claiming comedy is at risk of being killed by 'cancel culture'. A regular at the Comedy Store late show I'm sure. 

Remember when she protested a theatre show that she admitted she hadn’t seen or read the story but heard it put Israel in a bad light?

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I think it was Stewart Lee who said years ago that the problem seems to be that there's an entire generation who don't engage with any of these criticisms in any way, and just assume that there's some nebulous agency out there just arbitrarily banning words they used to use and jokes they used to tell. There's no effort to actually recognise why things might be offensive, so there's just this blanket response of "it was a joke from 20-30 years ago, so you couldn't tell it any more". 

Yeah, the only problem they'd have had nowadays is that the stuff would sound very dated. They did interviews for a Radio 1 Anniversary a few years ago and both pretty much said "can you imagine how sad it'd be if we were still doing Fat Harry White 10 years on? It was starting to get a bit old at the time so we just decided to get out while we were in top." 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's frankly amazing that Mark and Lard ever got away with Fanny's Too Tight to Mention, regardless of what year they were brodcasting in.

That missing words game and Lard's Classic Cuts would have me howling with laughter. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I cant hear a Northern Irish accent without doing the "biggidy biggidy bong shooowwaaaanaoooooy" Mark & Lard Jim McDonald impression.

So it is... 

Apparently Armando Iannucci has done an interview about people's right to offend. It's in the Times though so probably behind a pay wall which, frankly, offends me. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

The BBC are piloting an "anti-woke" stand up show for Radio 4.

I'm happy for a variety of views to be given air time but suspect that anti-woke comedy won't be very funny and the failure of a series order will be dubbed by knuckle draggers as censorship by the beeb.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2021/12/22/49904/bbc_pilots_anti-woke_comedy_show

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

I'm happy for a variety of views to be given air time but suspect that anti-woke comedy won't be very funny and the failure of a series order will be dubbed by knuckle draggers as censorship by the beeb.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2021/12/22/49904/bbc_pilots_anti-woke_comedy_show

This isn't the Things You Know Will Be Shit thread, sir.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

It's on radio 4 so will likely tank and they'll piss and moan about it. Or is radio 4 all full of stuffy right wingers? 

5 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Woke is a term I've seen used so much and so widely by so many nob ends I have absolutely no idea what it actually means.

Much like “Do gooder” it’s a great example of how an expression of empathy and care for things that don’t directly impact your own life can be used pejoratively if you live in a putrid country

5 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It's on radio 4 so will likely tank and they'll piss and moan about it. Or is radio 4 all full of stuffy right wingers? 

No. It’s bbc so it’s listener base are Marxists. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Much like “Do gooder” it’s a great example of how an expression of empathy and care for things that don’t directly impact your own life can be used pejoratively if you live in a putrid country

Now that's part of my confusion, is woke generally considered a positive balanced consideration of others and self assessment of the impact an individual has or is it people using that as an excuse to thier own ends or to an absurd degree without genuine consideration of others?

I can only speak for people I know but I know lots of people who do good things but a "do gooder" would only be a label on people being seen to do apparently altruistic things for selfish reasons or to an degree that's generally far beyond suitable for the situation.

People just tent to call me a cunt, so it's not a major issue for me personally.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Remember when she protested a theatre show that she admitted she hadn’t seen or read the story but heard it put Israel in a bad light?

Standing up for Israel, moaning about cancel culture. She's clearly playing alt-right bingo.

23 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Woke is a term I've seen used so much and so widely by so many nob ends I have absolutely no idea what it actually means.

99% of people that use it have no idea what it means from what I've seen. In fact, it no longer has any real meaning and is a catch-all derogatory term aimed at people that aren't cunts.