Comedy and offense

Chris B

• Paid Members

It sums up the current scam, though, that he's gone from responses to this kind of thing over the years from more along the lines of 'Fuck you all, I'll play wherever, can't hold me down' to 'I can't believe it's happened, it's so sad, poor me, it's all being destroyed, who saw this coming'. Just go for the sympathy patreons. 

26 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

As mentioned above, it's be far better to let these dinosaurs tour to dwindling audiences which are literally dying out. Chubby used to be one of the biggest draws in the country, especially in the North. About 3yrs ago his manager approached me for a date! Going from playing to thousands in large theates to approaching venues that hold a few hundred, that's the payoff.

Stuff like this just plays into the weaponised victimhood of the right. Let him play to half empty rooms rather than reinforce the myth that he's being silenced by the Liberal elite.

That’ll be around the last time I heard anything about him (I genuinely thought he was dead until yesterday).

I remember a few years back, similar timeframe to the one you mentioned, I saw that he was booked at Hull City Hall the following week. Out of morbid curiosity and knowing that the website allows you to pick your seats, I had a look to see how well the show had sold. I counted around 35 tickets for the whole venue. I don’t know if the show actually went ahead or not, but I remember thinking at the time “well at least that’s going to put an end to him and those like him”, only for those acts to seemingly continue and have something of a resurgence in the wake of Brexit.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

Stuff like this just plays into the weaponised victimhood of the right. Let him play to half empty rooms rather than reinforce the myth that he's being silenced by the Liberal elite.

Most of the time I suspect its a load of bollocks and they are just making it up to energise their base.

4 minutes ago, neil said:

Most of the time I suspect its a load of bollocks and they are just making it up to energise their base.

Absolutely. It’s like the time Laurence Fox said he’d written a song called Woke or cancelled or some bollocks like that but his record company baulked at it and advised against releasing it. He didn’t bother mentioning that he owns the record label he’s on. 

46 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Piers Morgan is the king of playing the cancelled card whilst insisting he left his shitty morning show of his own accord. Usually whilst he’s promoting his best selling book or one of his latest articles about non white females being shit.

Morgan is a cock of the highest order. Always quick to jump on the bandwagon. “Come on Britain, let’s get Brexit done. Vote Conservative!” and then constantly complained during the Covid Crisis about the shit Government that he helped enable. He knows nothing about football either. Was saying “Wenger out” for years. Now look at his beloved Arsenal.

He was an ardent remainer. That’s why it was funny when he was one of the few people on telly actually holding the government to account, most of the abuse he was getting was from leavers saying they thought he was “One of us” and should lay off the tories. 

• Paid Members
On 9/7/2021 at 2:29 PM, Dead Mike said:

As mentioned above, it's be far better to let these dinosaurs tour to dwindling audiences which are literally dying out. Chubby used to be one of the biggest draws in the country, especially in the North. About 3yrs ago his manager approached me for a date! Going from playing to thousands in large theates to approaching venues that hold a few hundred, that's the payoff.

Stuff like this just plays into the weaponised victimhood of the right. Let him play to half empty rooms rather than reinforce the myth that he's being silenced by the Liberal elite

I watched a documentary on Chubby Brown once and, unless I'm remembering it wrong, there was a bit where he walks off stage at the end of his set despondent and frustrated because the audience is full of drunk cunts who want to shout out instead of listening to the show and laughing at the jokes. There's a moment where he turns to his wife (I think) and questions what the point is. 

He seemed to despise everyone who'd bought a ticket. 

It's not quite how I remember, assuming it is this one, but from about 7:30 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

It's hard to feel sorry for someone whose audience gets rowdy after a joke like that. 

Indeed, but it's wonderfully coupled with Mike's point about the venues and crowds he's pulling. That's not a new documentary but I'm assuming he's now running places half the size with a much higher percentage of that sort of fan that even he can't stand, which is a nice demonstration of the masses maturing past his style. 

• Paid Members

Chubby Brown is a weird one, because he's managed to have this weird alternate universe fame - he never had a TV series, I don't think he ever really had any TV specials, and when he did guest on anything was usually exposed as being a bit shit. When mainstream TV would have accepted his bigotry, he was too sweary, and when they would have accepted his swearing he was too much of a bigot. He also suffered from what most of his generation of working men's club comics did, in that he relied on the same routine for years, so whenever he did get on TV, it meant you heard it all and there was no point going to see him live.

Yet somehow he managed to sell out major venues for years, and always had a video out for Christmas. One of my older brothers was a big fan when I was a kid. Given how stand-up these days is such a TV-oriented business, it's mad to think how successful he's been without it. It's not like Jim Davidson where he had a dual career of being a fairly innocuous prime time TV host while producing his inexorable offensive videos - the videos were all he had. Baffling.

• Paid Members

Off topic but I was in Salzburg once and there was some festival in the square. I could hear a recognisable tune from the beer tent but obviously couldn't pin it down amongst the drunken German singing and chatter until they all cheered "Alice, who the fuck is Alice" in English as loud as they could. 

Edited by Tommy!

His audience and the audience of his contemporaries aren’t necessarily laughing at the joke, theyre laughing at the imaginary offence it causes to the imaginary lefty pc liberals who live in their heads who have ruined the country. They thought it was GREAT Britain and just want their country back. It’s a bizarre phenomenon “Yeah good one, snowflakes won’t like that!!”