Comedy and offense

Chris B

• Paid Members

Got my first ever FB 24 hour ban last night. 

Someone had posted a picture of a "foreign looking bloke" in a park, supposedly taking pictures of kids and dogs, but could equally just have been writing a text message. Cue an endless stream of posts calling him a dirty bastard and people saying he should be strung up, have his throat cut, taken down an alley with a baseball bat. The usual stuff, and plenty offering themselves as the ones to do it.

I figured I'd shitpost a bit and added a Harry Enfield line about how someone should "skin  him alive, burn him alive, or in some other way, kill him alive". Apparently that was the post that was unacceptable.

It wouldn't annoy me as much, if I hadn't reported a post an hour before where the admin of a group had started a topic purely to say "I don't how much you all moan, men can't become women" and then made several follow ups defending their bigoted views (I know Mike Castle had called them out on it), and FB said it fine. 

• Paid Members

Facebook reporting is a joke. At least on Twitter there tends to be some kind of action taken, I don't think I've ever got a response from Facebook that wasn't "you did the right thing by reporting this, but we're not going to do anything about it", no matter how horrendous the post in question was.

11 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Facebook reporting is a joke. At least on Twitter there tends to be some kind of action taken, I don't think I've ever got a response from Facebook that wasn't "you did the right thing by reporting this, but we're not going to do anything about it", no matter how horrendous the post in question was.

Indeed, there's been a concerted effort to get shit changed with at least 3 groups i know of having meetings with Facebook regarding a number of issues. 

However, that's basically pissing in the wind as they have done fuck all. 

• 4 months later...

I saw that #IStandWithGlinner was trending on Twitter so I had a quick look through some of the posts. A lot of people were posting selfies of themselves with him and I had a thought - Is he disabled in some way or just looks like he is?

Also, all the selfies that were being posted by various women seemed to be all taken at the same event of some sort. Either that or he wears the same shirt every day which is equally as likely.

• Paid Members
On 8/20/2021 at 8:18 PM, wordsfromlee said:

I saw that #IStandWithGlinner was trending on Twitter so I had a quick look through some of the posts. A lot of people were posting selfies of themselves with him and I had a thought - Is he disabled in some way or just looks like he is?

I've never seen anyone with his body proportions. Looks like he came straight out of the Beano.

TELEMMGLPICT000107273064_trans_NvBQzQNjv

• Paid Members

so John Cleese is doing a series on "Cancel Culture" for Channel 4, complaining about how it's impossible to be funny without offending anyone.

I mean, what do we want people to do to draw a laugh? Do some silly walks, slap someone with a fish or list the names of different cheeses? That'll never work.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

so John Cleese is doing a series on "Cancel Culture" for Channel 4, complaining about how it's impossible to be funny without offending anyone.

I mean, what do we want people to do to draw a laugh? Do some silly walks, slap someone with a fish or list the names of different cheeses? That'll never work.

It's an odd one because Cleese knows first hand in a classic case the battle between comedy, censorship and offence over Life of Brian which is as good now as it ever was yet generally did safe stuff in an era of comedy that has aged terribly with it's use of race and sexuality. 

• Paid Members

One of the reasons I embraced the general internet rule of "Never Read The Comments" is because, without fail, under every classic comedy sketch or scene, whether it contains problematic material or not, you get some fucking poppy-penetrator whinging about how comedy isn't what it used to be and that such a sketch/scene "wouldn't be played on TV nowadays because of PC". 

Really, Norman? Who'd be pissed off at "Four Candles" or Dave Allen teaching his kids how to tell the time?

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Really, Norman? Who'd be pissed off at "Four Candles" or Dave Allen teaching his kids how to tell the time?

I honestly think that part of where the backlash to "PC" or ideas of "cancel culture" come from is that a lot of people are seeing the supposed outcome, and none of the conversation beforehand, and never engaging with any criticism, so there's an entire generation who just think that words they used to say and TV shows they used to watch are just being arbitrarily banned for no reason.

Which one of the pythons came up with 'Miss N****r-baiter' in that Flying Circus sketch John. 

As an actual comedian (YES, WHAT?!) and knowing people who got all 'oh, but it WAS a joke' about Andrew Lawrence of all dickheads, the Cancel debate is frustrating as its not that. It's also the joy of Channel 4. You can bet six months after its a talking point, C4 does a chinstroking documentary that asks 'What does that make us?' 

29 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

One of the reasons I embraced the general internet rule of "Never Read The Comments" is because, without fail, under every classic comedy sketch or scene, whether it contains problematic material or not, you get some fucking poppy-penetrator whinging about how comedy isn't what it used to be and that such a sketch/scene "wouldn't be played on TV nowadays because of PC". 

Don’t forget about them complaining about current “so-called comedians” mentioning something political and not making enough jokes about mother in laws or something. 

Geoff Norcott is filling that void isn’t he with his edgy brand of ‘right wing’ comedy that’s about as right wing as all the other centrist comedians who didn’t have the nouse to bill themselves as right wing and lap up the poppy shaggers money.

• 2 weeks later...

SNOWFLAKES!!!!!!!

You can’t even tell racist, homophobic, misogynistic jokes in a publicly funded building anymore without the looney left cancelling someone most people thought was already dead. And no, The Mash Report getting cancelled on a publicly funded tv channel isn’t the same free speech issue because I hated that brown foreign looking fella.