Comedy and offense

Chris B

• Paid Members

This is not my observation, and I forget who said it on twitter, but imagine if you were a Father Ted fan, got onto twitter and decided that you'd check out the writer to see what funny stuff he was up to. To be greeted by a wall of incessant anti-trans propaganda and misinformation must come as quite a shock. He tweeted almost nothing else for about 3 years. Part of me hopes this will lead to some sort of wake up call, but that is a slim, slim hope. 

• Paid Members

He lost his wife over all this, and when he appeared on Newsnight a few months ago he looked absolutely broken and in the midst of a nervous breakdown. Now he's off on Mumsnet crying. And he deserves every bit of it, the cunt.

• Paid Members

Every now and then, I'd check his account, wondering 'has he said something horrendous about trans people in the last 20 minutes?' and the answer was always yes.

The radicalisation of Graham Linehan has been one of the stranger social media stories of the decade and, sadly, he was enormously influential, emboldening and encouraging transphobia. He'd set his followers on people at the slightest provocation (which included people unfollowing him or being publicly supportive of trans people). 

I hope he begins to realise what a problem he has and begins to get some help.

• Paid Members

Twitter’s statement about Glinner is quite hypocritical considering a lot of other verified accounts out there that people are calling for to be suspended:

“Twitter defines platform manipulation as ‘using Twitter to engage in bulk, aggressive, or deceptive activity that misleads others and/or disrupts their experience’.”

Katie Hopkins is gone, now Glinner. Let’s hope they’re finally growing a spine.

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members

Celebrities can use their platform, position and reach to make statements and push social changes they feel passionate about much more simply and much more personally in the social media age, so it's a shame to see what he's done with that. 

5 or 10 years ago if someone mentioned Graham Linehan I'd have said "that bloke who wrote Father Ted? Good show that, Pat Mustard, Kicking Bishop Brennan up the arse and so on".

Now and seemingly forevermore I'll say "that transphobic arsehole who wrote Father Ted? He's a right twat, but it was a good show, Pat Mustard, Kicking Bishop Brennan up the arse and so on". 

It's the first thing I think of attached to his name with the quality of his work a second in the same way I do with Rock n Roll part 2 being a good song or how benoit had a lovely looking German suplex. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Monkee said:

Twitter’s statement about Glinner is quite hypocritical considering a lot of other verified accounts out there that people are calling for to be suspended:

“Twitter defines platform manipulation as ‘using Twitter to engage in bulk, aggressive, or deceptive activity that misleads others and/or disrupts their experience’.”

Katie Hopkins is gone, now Glinner. Let’s hope they’re finally growing a spine.

Farage next would be great. 

Hopefully all their followers piss off over to Parler and allow us to have a laugh on Twitter again. 

Edited by martyngnr

2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

"that bloke who wrote Farther Ted? Good show that, Pat Mustard, Kicking Bishop Brennan up the arse and so on".

Now and seemingly forevermore I'll say "that transphobic arsehole who wrote Farther Ted?

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

This thing about the BBC DG wanting to bring in more right-wing comedy has been interestingly awful on twitter all day. Nish Kumar immediately started trending - I tweeted about it being odd that he's the one that comes in for so much vitriol and got a lot of flak from people who hate him. Really gives an insight into what it must be like for him on social media, as I was getting responses roughly every 20 seconds for a good while then. 

So yeah, generally linked in with the topic for the BBC stuff, but Christ - you really don't understand what well-known people have to deal with on twitter until you get a taste of it. 

• 2 months later...

https://truecrimedaily.com/2020/11/24/florida-woman-attacks-coworkers-sleeping-husband-with-machete-leads-deputies-in-pursuit-sheriff/

Not to speak for the bloke but I imagine it's stuff like this why @King Pitcoshasn't bothered with this place for months, especially if you find it on twitter and read the comments, not that this site is out of order in general but he was slaughtered by certain posters for no real reason 

Edited by Pogue
Finding Pity's username

15 minutes ago, Pogue said:

https://truecrimedaily.com/2020/11/24/florida-woman-attacks-coworkers-sleeping-husband-with-machete-leads-deputies-in-pursuit-sheriff/

Not to speak for the bloke but I imagine it's stuff like this why @King Pitcoshasn't bothered with this place for months, especially if you find it on twitter and read the comments, not that this site is out of order in general but he was slaughtered by certain posters for no real reason 

Where is the comedy and what has it got to do with Pitcos?

8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Where is the comedy and what has it got to do with Pitcos?

You've posted in this thread so you know full well, not starting an argument but rather a discussion, he was brought up in the missing people or whatever thread, given how he was spoken to I imagine that's why no one has seen him on here 

1 minute ago, Pogue said:

You've posted in this thread so you know full well, not starting an argument but rather a discussion, he was brought up in the missing people or whatever thread, given how he was spoken to I imagine that's why no one has seen him on here 

Seriously, I don’t get it. Pitcos got banned/suspended for saying something about a member on here but that has nothing to do with the story you posted, which had nothing to do with comedy or offense. I genuinely thought you’d posted this in the wrong thread.  

Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Seriously, I don’t get it. Pitcos got banned/suspended for saying something about a member on here but that has nothing to do with the story you posted, which had nothing to do with comedy or offense. I genuinely thought you’d posted this in the wrong thread.  

I wasn't aware Pity was banned from here, the story was to do with anyone not being allowed a different opinion (in general not on here) about trans topics, I posted it in this thread because of the previous discussions that I've seen/been involved with